Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow is the opening of the Pruitt Branch Library at Roosevelt High School on Walzem Rd. It will be open to the general public after 4 on weekdays and regular weekend hours on the weekend. This is a great partnership between NEISD and the city to bring a library where there were no services except for the bookmobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 AM

324 posts, read 1,308,472 times
right in my front yard!

Seriously - I live right behind the football field.

Any idea if it's going to have a children's section? I've never been to a public library inside a high school before.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
The Reagan HS/public library model is wonderful, and I think it's great that they are duplicating it...really meeting two different needs with one space.

Kudos!!

(and yes, the Reagan one has a children's room, with storytime, so I would imagine TR would, too.)

Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Tomorrow is the opening of the Pruitt Branch Library at Roosevelt High School on Walzem Rd. It will be open to the general public after 4 on weekdays and regular weekend hours on the weekend. This is a great partnership between NEISD and the city to bring a library where there were no services except for the bookmobile.
SA needs a lot more libraries and far less churches. why don't the tax free churches put their $$ where their mouth is and fund churches for the public?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Aren't most churches for the public? How does this relate to a new library branch being opened?

Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Aren't most churches for the public? How does this relate to a new library branch being opened?
If the schools can partner up with the libraries, then the churches should too. lord knows that there are plenty of them hogging up prime acreage here in san antonio and surrounding areas, all at taxpayer expense.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
SA needs a lot more libraries and far less churches. why don't the tax free churches put their $$ where their mouth is and fund churches for the public?
I don't understand the bolded. Fund churches for the public? Anybody in the world can come to my church, which I guess means it's funded for the public by the people who are members. Right?

I don't get what this has to do with libraries either.

I agree that combining the HS library with a public library is a good option so long as the city starts working to build standalone libraries in the areas that need them. In other words, I don't think it's the answer to the problem; I think it's a short-term solution.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I don't understand the bolded. Fund churches for the public? Anybody in the world can come to my church, which I guess means it's funded for the public by the people who are members. Right?

I don't get what this has to do with libraries either.

I agree that combining the HS library with a public library is a good option so long as the city starts working to build standalone libraries in the areas that need them. In other words, I don't think it's the answer to the problem; I think it's a short-term solution.
oops, i meant to say fund "Libraries" for the public. Churches claim that they should not pay taxes b/c they allegedly do community services. what greater community service could be performed than the funding of libraries? the libraries here in SA are few and crowded, whereas there seems to be a church on every corner. i can't think of a better way to share their wealth than by helping to fund the addition of more libraries for the city.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:59 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Great for the HS but if I can't go during the day, I will prob not use the location much, even though it is close. It will be handy for returning items perhaps.

Sadly, many branches just slashed their hours, now opening later and closing earlier.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Herbrocks, I'm sure you know this, but the branches did not CHOOSE to slash their hours or their staff. That came from the library director and the city - THEY were the ones who forced budget cuts, in turn forcing the libraries to cut their hours and in some cases their staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio