Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 09:27 AM

715 posts, read 1,356,468 times

Advertisements

I had read yrs back in the SA business journal that we would eventually get these. Still nothing as of 2009. Does anyone know if this fell through or is there a delay? I know El Paso, Houston, and Dallas have them but none in SA and Austin. They say these are a lot better than the traditional supercenters (less crowded, cleaner, nicer, elegant) and just concentrate on grocery, pharmacy, bakery, photo. I know HEB is mr. powerful but I think these would still do really well in the SA market, being that a lot of their items are actually cheaper and on sale more often than HEB. Has anyone ever been in one or heard anything of us still getting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Considering the number of once vacant and now occupied former Albertson's locations that Wal-Mart could have had for this concept since Albertson's pulled out of SA in '02, it would seem that ship has sailed. Not too many businesses the size of Wal-Mart are expanding ATM. The company appears to prefer out-gunning HEB with Supercenters than competing head-to-head with grocery stores.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
We had a few of these in Houston and I was never impressed with them. In fact, I'm pretty sure at least one has closed.

Believe me, the competition....isn't. From a Houstonian's standpoint, with at least three or four major grocery players in the market...HEB came out on top. After Safeway bought Randall's in what I like to call the worst decision the Onsteads could ever make in their lifetimes...HEB came in and showed Houston how a grocery store is run. I loved the HEB Marketplaces (Bunker Hill was right by our place), and the HEB Plus. Regular HEB's were fine, but the emphasis always seemed to be on local stuff and I liked that. I hated the Pantry stores, but that was done so they weren't exactly competing with Randall's (they had some sort of agreement).

So...what I'm saying is...be careful what you wish for. LOL.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM

715 posts, read 1,356,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Considering the number of once vacant and now occupied former Albertson's locations that Wal-Mart could have had for this concept since Albertson's pulled out of SA in '02, it would seem that ship has sailed. Not too many businesses the size of Wal-Mart are expanding ATM. The company appears to prefer out-gunning HEB with Supercenters than competing head-to-head with grocery stores.
same thing I'm thinking. They probably figure that there supercenter model is doing great in SA and don't wanna risk the "grocery war" with HEB. Even though I think they'd compete well and the concept would work, you're probably right. They would of long been here by now.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Clark Howard is saying on the radio now that these stores are intended to be Aldi-killers. San Antonio doesn't have Aldi yet, which takes some of the urgency out of building these stores.

BTW, Aldi is the parent company and a sister chain of the beloved and much-desired (in this forum) grocery store chain with the initials T.J. I don't even want to post that name, for fear it will yield a 30-post off-topic tangent.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM

160 posts, read 233,891 times
T-J !!! Yessssssss... WM can't compare...

http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-16-2009, 03:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
T-J !!! Yessssssss... WM can't compare...

We're getting one???? I love you, FCF's Wife!!!! You just made my whole weekend!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 PM

160 posts, read 233,891 times
The mere mention of the initials even "rattles the cage"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio