Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 42,165 times

Advertisements

As a relative newbie to this board, and as a Los Angelino transplant who now calls SA my home, I am somewhat stumped as to why so many of fellow posters are showing much interest in Californians moving into SA. It seems to me that every other topic is about what Californians think about SA or which Californians are moving to SA or what houses they are buying. Granted, there's a certain "mystique" about CA and all the hoopla it goes with CA, but seriously, folks...there are 49 other great states besides CA. In fact, other transplants might feel "neglected" by this board. Californians aren't the only ones buying homes in SA...I know several former residents of Dallas, Houston, as well as New Yorkers and Floridians.

Let's move on to other great topics...such as the Spurs and their quest for another championship.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
California holds no "mystique" for me, having lived there for several years. I think it's beautiful in many parts, but I think a lot of places are beautiful. I also think it's way overpriced!

I think the reason CA people are singled out is due to the rising real estate prices here--people assume it's all these cash-heavy Californians that have sold their homes in CA and are buying SA up, driving our prices up. I'm sure there are people from other areas, but it seems that the majority are coming from CA. We have a lot of posters on here from California, many of whom have grown disgruntled and can't wait to get out! For whatever reason, our lifestyle doesn't suit them, and that's cool. We're not for everybody.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Californians aren't "driving up" anybody's prices. The last time I checked, the SELLER of the property sets the price and people come in and make offers on said property.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Right, and last summer when homes were on the market for 2 hours and being sold for the listed price (and sometimes more), it didn't take folks long to figure out that they could pretty much set their price and someone would surely buy their house. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it was a seller's market, prices went UP. So you think that these were San Antonians buying these houses? Get real.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM

545 posts, read 2,283,894 times
I think it's more the fact that San Antonio is still a seller's market, when over-priced markets such as California and Florida have gone bust, that makes people assume (rightly so in many cases) that people are cashing out of those markets and setting up shop here.

It's because San Antonio is still extremely affordable to those folks, yet it's becoming less affordable for those of us who have planted roots here that causes the animosity (IMHO).

Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Right, and last summer when homes were on the market for 2 hours and being sold for the listed price (and sometimes more), it didn't take folks long to figure out that they could pretty much set their price and someone would surely buy their house. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it was a seller's market, prices went UP. So you think that these were San Antonians buying these houses? Get real.

Again, WHO set those prices? Did the Californians come here and say "uh, we don't want to pay $300,000 for your house - we'll give you $400,000."

If Texans don't want Californians to buy their houses, then why do they sell them to Californians? Or maybe Texas sellers could lower the prices of their homes so that Californians don't drive up the prices for Texas buyers.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:48 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Got some news for ya' Elmer. This scenario has/is and will ,play out for many cities across this country. Nothing you or I can do about it. Let's just be happy we have a roof over our heads.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
I'm moving in shortly from California. if any of you sellers would be so kind as to LOWER your asking price, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssculebra View Post
As a relative newbie to this board, and as a Los Angelino transplant who now calls SA my home, I am somewhat stumped as to why so many of fellow posters are showing much interest in Californians moving into SA. It seems to me that every other topic is about what Californians think about SA or which Californians are moving to SA or what houses they are buying. Granted, there's a certain "mystique" about CA and all the hoopla it goes with CA, but seriously, folks...there are 49 other great states besides CA. In fact, other transplants might feel "neglected" by this board. Californians aren't the only ones buying homes in SA...I know several former residents of Dallas, Houston, as well as New Yorkers and Floridians.

Let's move on to other great topics...such as the Spurs and their quest for another championship.
I received an address/phone directory of a list of property owners (where they are living, now) who purchased land in the subdivision I purchased my land in. I was excited to open it to see where all the Californians were coming from and if any were from where I am from, or close. I was absolutely shocked to see that most of the land was purchased by other Texans from Houston, Dallas, other small cities/towns in Texas and many, many from SA. There were only 4 people, not including me, who purchased land in that entire subdivision, so far, that are from California. Nope...all the land is not being bought by Californians...that's for sure.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 AM

144 posts, read 687,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Again, WHO set those prices? Did the Californians come here and say "uh, we don't want to pay $300,000 for your house - we'll give you $400,000."

If Texans don't want Californians to buy their houses, then why do they sell them to Californians? Or maybe Texas sellers could lower the prices of their homes so that Californians don't drive up the prices for Texas buyers.
A good friend of mine is a Sales Rep for a large builder here. He says its the Californians that are laughing at what house are going for in Sa thats why they are buying 4 at a time. Sapphire is right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio