U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,639,010 times

Advertisements

For years I shopped at Home Depot since it always seemed like their prices were lower and they always had what I needed. They usually have a store close by with decent hours. For the past several months I have noticed that their Customer Service has gone South. Early this evening I called the store at Culebra and 1604 and asked someone in lighting if they sold a certain type of Sylvania Bulb. Without hesitation I was told they had exactly what I was asking for. Well I drove to the store ( it was only 4 - 5 miles) and looked and looked and never found the bulb. One fellow walked by and just stared at me and there is no doubt I had a troubled look on my face. Well I was pissed so I started to leave and another employee asked me if I was doing alright. I told him I was until I got to the store. Well I have committed to never shop at Home Depot again. Yes I would do that over a 6 dollar bulb.

Lowe's you now have a Customer for life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 PM

173 posts, read 570,436 times
I know where you are coming from...after years of using Home Depot, I have found Lowes to be a lot more 'homeowner friendly'. Their stores seem more organized and their prices about the same as HD.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM

21,347 posts, read 8,032,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
For years I shopped at Home Depot since it always seemed like their prices were lower and they always had what I needed. They usually have a store close by with decent hours. For the past several months I have noticed that their Customer Service has gone South. Early this evening I called the store at Culebra and 1604 and asked someone in lighting if they sold a certain type of Sylvania Bulb. Without hesitation I was told they had exactly what I was asking for. Well I drove to the store ( it was only 4 - 5 miles) and looked and looked and never found the bulb. One fellow walked by and just stared at me and there is no doubt I had a troubled look on my face. Well I was pissed so I started to leave and another employee asked me if I was doing alright. I told him I was until I got to the store. Well I have committed to never shop at Home Depot again. Yes I would do that over a 6 dollar bulb.

Lowe's you now have a Customer for life.
I'd suggest you go a step further and contact HD by phone at their corporate office, via their website, or write them a letter and send it snail mail. That's inexcusable customer service.

They worked darn hard a few years ago to improve their image through retraining of their employees. It sounds like someone fell off the wagon. Could be just a 'bad' store manager or dept. manager. The head office won't know a thing if you don't tell them. Just my unasked for two cents. Hope you don't mind.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 21,761,683 times
I've had the same epiphany, I was a huge Home Depot fan but slowly but surely Lowe's won me over. It isn't like I had a bad experience with HD, it was just that Lowe's seemed to have what I needed more often than HD. As such, I am more apt to go to Lowe's first before trying HD; and the the vast majority of the time I find what I need.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,789,645 times
I've always preferred Lowe's

Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 AM

905 posts, read 2,802,559 times
I prefer Lowe's, too. Their employees seem to be more friendly and the inside of the store is more 'relaxing' (?) maybe? Perhaps it's all that orange I see at HD that is disturbing, compared to the muted grayish(?) tones at Lowes? The stores are arranged about the same, but Lowe's has a larger garden section and have clearance sales on plants! For someone who has as bad of an addiction to plants as she has to scrapbook paper, that is a big bonus! Also, Lowe's website seems a bit easier to use, especially when you are looking for a particular item.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 AM

796 posts, read 2,904,544 times
I have had the same customer service issues with HD. I now do my shopping at Lowes. I think Lowe's has better customer service and a nicer selection on fixtures and such.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 AM

33 posts, read 73,830 times
Iv'e had the same service issues from both, I sent HD an email on my experience, they apologized and sent me a 20% off anything in the store card.

I prefer Lowe's for garden, plumbing and electrical, HD for lumber and hardware, the rest they are pretty much the same.

Rick

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM

12,106 posts, read 13,946,436 times
We we're in HD yesterday and the guy told us they now take Lowe's discount cards.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 AM

6,882 posts, read 19,390,405 times
I'll take an Ace hardware any day over either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>