Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 PM

67 posts, read 177,727 times

Advertisements

I love Texas, and I would love to buy a nice house there for when my daughter gets older.. I lived in South Texas for half a year, and I really love the state of Texas.. I'm from Brooklyn, New York city originally..
My wife hates Texas and loves California for her own reasons... But I love that lone star state. The thing I love about Texas is the relaxing life, nobody really bothers you.. And you guys have a fantastic job market for my future field of Law Enforcement.. I currently do private security and I hear that is strong in Texas as well...
Anyways, I have a small 2 year old little girl I love to death and a wife as well.. Should I just make the leap to Texas even though my wife doesn't agree with it? or just stay here in FLorida?.. Yes, I love Florida also, I just feel more relaxed in Texas and everything is so much cheaper then here in FLorida.. I spend almost 300.00 a month for liability insurance for my car!!! when I lived in Texas it was only 44.00 a month... What do you all think? Thanks.
Mark,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM

16 posts, read 34,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
I love Texas, and I would love to buy a nice house there for when my daughter gets older.. I lived in South Texas for half a year, and I really love the state of Texas.. I'm from Brooklyn, New York city originally..
My wife hates Texas and loves California for her own reasons... But I love that lone star state. The thing I love about Texas is the relaxing life, nobody really bothers you.. And you guys have a fantastic job market for my future field of Law Enforcement.. I currently do private security and I hear that is strong in Texas as well...
Anyways, I have a small 2 year old little girl I love to death and a wife as well.. Should I just make the leap to Texas even though my wife doesn't agree with it? or just stay here in FLorida?.. Yes, I love Florida also, I just feel more relaxed in Texas and everything is so much cheaper then here in FLorida.. I spend almost 300.00 a month for liability insurance for my car!!! when I lived in Texas it was only 44.00 a month... What do you all think? Thanks.
Mark,
Word to the wise...wife not happy means...YOU not happy. Keep wife happy at all costs!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
This wife hates Texas and was pretty darn miserable after we moved here and I will continue to blame my husband for my sheer misery until the day....he....dies. But we're also Yankees and I hate the heat, hate the bugs. Coming from Florida maybe it won't be such an adjustment. But agree with above poster....wife ain't happy, NO one is happy.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 AM

52 posts, read 126,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
This wife hates Texas and was pretty darn miserable after we moved here and I will continue to blame my husband for my sheer misery until the day....he....dies. But we're also Yankees and I hate the heat, hate the bugs. Coming from Florida maybe it won't be such an adjustment. But agree with above poster....wife ain't happy, NO one is happy.
I hope you are willing to eventually forgive your husband for moving you to one of the best places to live in the US. I certainly understand your disdain for the heat and the bugs, but giving him a hard time until the day he dies seems a bit extreme. I know if I were your husband and you constantly gave me a hard time about moving to a place where I could support you and provide a nice place for you to live (assuming by your name that you live in SO) I would be pretty hurt by that. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP, has your wife visited San Antonio? I would suggest that she spend some time there with an open mind before she makes up her mind about being against it. Good luck to you!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:00 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Stay where you are and just visit once in a while. No point upsetting mama. This maybe should have been something you resolved prior to marriage.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
LuminousFive has a good point, bring your wife on vacation to San Antonio (I expect you want to move here, since you posted in this forum and not the Texas one). Spend a week taking her around the area, showing her the communities you would consider living in (do your research on here).

Take her to the Riverwalk, La Cantera, Quarry Market and The Rim. Show her the beauty of the Hill Country. Show her things that would be of interest to her, and maybe you'll change her mind.

Depending on where she's been in Texas before, she may come around. We love it here, but I don't think we'd be as happy in Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston. About the only other areas I would live in here would be out in the Hill Country or Austin.

Lastly, wait until the spring to do this, when the weather is nice. If you do this during the height of our summer, you'll probably never get her here.

Oh, and I am originally from Florida. I couldn't stand the humidity, bugs or hurricanes. I've been to California and it is a nice place to visit, but there are too many problems out there right now plus I don't particularly share their views on the Second Amendment.

Best of luck, and I agree with you 100%...Texas is a great place to live!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Default Take it to the wire..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousFive View Post
I hope you are willing to eventually forgive your husband for moving you to one of the best places to live in the US. I certainly understand your disdain for the heat and the bugs, but giving him a hard time until the day he dies seems a bit extreme. I know if I were your husband and you constantly gave me a hard time about moving to a place where I could support you and provide a nice place for you to live (assuming by your name that you live in SO) I would be pretty hurt by that. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP, has your wife visited San Antonio? I would suggest that she spend some time there with an open mind before she makes up her mind about being against it. Good luck to you!
Well she wants to move to California and never been there onece...
She's obsessed with that garbage show the Hills- and Twilight oh god ** what a run down vertion of the under world... Anyways,
I personally don't care for California, earthquakes cost of living is so high and jobs are hard to find! from what my friend reberto told me, he lives in Los Angeles... And I know that theory if wife is unhappy everyone un happy well if i'm going to make alot more money then what i'm making here per year then I may make that leap, if she likes it or not... The cost of living in Texas is cheaper and the chance to make it buying a house and living good is possible.. Here in Florida everything is getting rocket high! starting with the car registration and insurance here in Tampa is nuts!.. Apartment rents are killer per month, and if i'm not ** which I never am** it's 75.00 per day late fee!!.. I love Florida and Texas, but I feel Texas is the better choice right down the line...

Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Default Thanks all:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
LuminousFive has a good point, bring your wife on vacation to San Antonio (I expect you want to move here, since you posted in this forum and not the Texas one). Spend a week taking her around the area, showing her the communities you would consider living in (do your research on here).

Take her to the Riverwalk, La Cantera, Quarry Market and The Rim. Show her the beauty of the Hill Country. Show her things that would be of interest to her, and maybe you'll change her mind.

Depending on where she's been in Texas before, she may come around. We love it here, but I don't think we'd be as happy in Dallas/Ft Worth or Houston. About the only other areas I would live in here would be out in the Hill Country or Austin.

Lastly, wait until the spring to do this, when the weather is nice. If you do this during the height of our summer, you'll probably never get her here.

Oh, and I am originally from Florida. I couldn't stand the humidity, bugs or hurricanes. I've been to California and it is a nice place to visit, but there are too many problems out there right now plus I don't particularly share their views on the Second Amendment.

Best of luck, and I agree with you 100%...Texas is a great place to live!

Cheers! M2
We use to live in Los- Fresnos near the Meixco boarder line, i'm from Newyork and moved down south due to tired of freezing my behind with cold weather... I moved to Texas and fell in love, drove into San Antonio, Tx and seen the light! such a beautiful city and Texas is a fantastic state in my opinion.. I just feel at peace there, I currently live here in Florida, and it's great I want want a chance to make it and have a nice house, the properties here are so expensive! and the home insurance is nuts! in Texas for 80,000 I could get a beautiful house what my cousin told me.. Here 80,000 will get you a shack.... Thank you all for your help on how to handle the situation.. One other thing, Texans are really great people, all the ones I met were so warming and just plain great... Now Montreal, Canada where my wife is from is another story, the Quebecers I met there were rude and snoobby..
Thanks again.
Mark,

Old 10-28-2009, 12:30 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousFive View Post
I hope you are willing to eventually forgive your husband for moving you to one of the best places to live in the US.
I disagree with you, because each person has a different definition of "the best place to live"
I have my reasons to love San Antonio but at the same time I there's few things I don't like.

For StoneOak...
Something I've noticed is that nowhere is perfect and everywhere has good and bad things.
The best thing you can do is appreciate the nice things about living here and you will be a much happier person.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msoler29 View Post
We use to live in Los- Fresnos near the Meixco boarder line, i'm from Newyork and moved down south due to tired of freezing my behind with cold weather... I moved to Texas and fell in love, drove into San Antonio, Tx and seen the light! such a beautiful city and Texas is a fantastic state in my opinion.. I just feel at peace there, I currently live here in Florida, and it's great I want want a chance to make it and have a nice house, the properties here are so expensive! and the home insurance is nuts! in Texas for 80,000 I could get a beautiful house what my cousin told me.. Here 80,000 will get you a shack.... Thank you all for your help on how to handle the situation.. One other thing, Texans are really great people, all the ones I met were so warming and just plain great... Now Montreal, Canada where my wife is from is another story, the Quebecers I met there were rude and snoobby..
Thanks again.
Mark,
That depends on what you consider..beautiful. Yes, homes can be had for 80K...but you most likely won't be living in the safest neighborhood, nor be in a large,beautiful home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio