Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 PM

58 posts, read 189,571 times

Advertisements

Just wondering where you think is a good place to take your car for oil changes, tune-ups and just to get checked out. I want somewhere you think I could trust....I'm a girl and don't want to get ripped off! I am near the medical center...any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM

229 posts, read 672,410 times
If you don't mind paying for good service take your car to Cambridge Auto on Fredericksburg across from USAA. They are a very good shop, however they are pretty expensive, but they do the work right. Whenever I have problems with my car I take it there because I know it will get fixed.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,870 times
Blackmon's Garage - West Avenue in between Lockhill Selma & Blanco. It looks like a dump, but they give amazing service.

My grandfather knew the original owner and worked on cars with him decades ago. His son now runs it and we have taken our cars there for years. Never had a lick of trouble with their service or repairs.

We've referred several people there who took their cars a few places for quotes and Blackmon's always came back cheaper. Since his building is paid for his overhead is much lower and it helps keep his prices low.

The only downside is that I don't think they work on European cars. Just American and Japanese.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:04 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Broadway Tire & Automotive on Broadway, south of Hildebrand and the Witte Museum. Bright purple stucco building across from Sonic, just north of Mahnke park (which I can NEVER spell, sorry).

Ask for Kevin or Larry. Don't deal with Harry (I think that's his name).. the new guy they hired to run the office. Don't like him or trust him.. just from personal experience, he has no customer service skills and my gut tells me he's just not cool.

These guys are AWESOME. There is a reason they are always crazy-busy. We've been taking our cars to them for 5 years now, after happening upon them when we got a flat down the street. We always drive cash-car beaters so we do end up with more mechanic trips than most people and they have been consistently awesome. They are fair, and HONEST. They have even fixed things for free, when it was a safety issue and they knew we didn't have the money, and when we later tried to pay they refused payment! Who does that anymore??

Old 05-30-2008, 06:02 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
Anyone go to Belden's Automotive? Also across from USAA. The guy does the radio show on WOAI on Saturdays.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:19 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,354 times
I like Pep Boys on Walzem. They check my tires and breaks for free. And I can't remember the details, but they ran a diagnostic for me on something once. Told me it would be 74 dollars but then didn't charge me anything.
If they find something wrong during a routine oil change, they call me back to the garage and show me exactly what they are talking about and suggest I get it fixed. They don't pressure me or anything.
Good luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Also across from USAA. The guy does the radio show on WOAI on Saturdays.
Across from USAA is Cambridge Automotive, owned by Steve Gehrlein who does a Saturday radio show on KTSA. I've been there a few times. I've found they do good work and offer great service, but they charge more than other places that are closer to me.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
Next to the place that used to be Siagon Elite? Now it's a Mexican place. It's right next to Bamboo Bicycle club.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taraaa17 View Post
Just wondering where you think is a good place to take your car for oil changes, tune-ups and just to get checked out. I want somewhere you think I could trust....I'm a girl and don't want to get ripped off! I am near the medical center...any suggestions?

theres nothing better than doing the work yourself, but since youre a chick I guess the idea of getting cut up would haunt you lol Unless you are megan fox, Just kidding, well by the medical center, i think youll be okay if you go to a walmart or sears for oil changes and tune ups. Pepboys I highly dont recomend it because when i was groin up those sneaky snakes will find something minor and will pressure my mom into fixing it, making a routine oil change worth about 20 bucks (at that time) to a rebuild rear-end,

the check ups are al ways free (if your check engine light comes on) at autozone, but if youre reefering about regular check ups ususally the people who do your oil changes will check your tires, Fluids, and belts.

but please go to a good shop that is bonded and insured, and that their mechanics are certified.

good luck.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 PM

67 posts, read 274,970 times
Seymore's off Vance Jackson just outside 410. Excellent work & prices. Ask for Mark or Jason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio