Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 AM

107 posts, read 424,000 times

Advertisements

I know, I know...we are all sick of hearing about this.

I seriously need to get this vaccine. I am 34 weeks pregnant and the base doesn't have them. I have called Metropolitan Health and they don't have them and don't know when they are getting them.

Now I am reading that 40,000 Texas Prisioners are getting them before the general public. WTF!!!

Has anyone in the area gotten one? If so WHERE????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Call your doctor.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Call your doctor.
I did. My Husband is military. WHMC won't be getting them until the end of November/Early December. That doesn't help me. I saw my doctor on Tuesday and she advised me to go civilian. I have called several Med Clinics plus the Health Department. Not having any luck.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
No need to panic. Just go get vaccinated for the regular seasonal flu. It has been shown to protect against H1N1, despite what some news outlets have reported: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/710106

Honestly, the media has SO blown this out of proportion--so frustrating! If you're not exposed to the public every day (working in a job with likely cross-contamination) then it really is not a huge issue. You're also 34 weeks along. You have 4-6 more weeks to go. If I were you, I'd skip the shot and stay at home, if possible. Keep your hands squeaky clean and try not to rub your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands.

But...that's just me. Either way, good luck and congrats on your upcoming mommyhood!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
No need to panic. Just go get vaccinated for the regular seasonal flu. It has been shown to protect against H1N1, despite what some news outlets have reported: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/710106

Honestly, the media has SO blown this out of proportion--so frustrating! If you're not exposed to the public every day (working in a job with likely cross-contamination) then it really is not a huge issue. You're also 34 weeks along. You have 4-6 more weeks to go. If I were you, I'd skip the shot and stay at home, if possible. Keep your hands squeaky clean and try not to rub your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands.

But...that's just me. Either way, good luck and congrats on your upcoming mommyhood!
While your intentions are good, and many agree with what you say, if her doctor is advising her to get the shot (as they are all pregnant women), she needs to follow her doc's advice.

I've not see that they're available anywhere in SA yet. I've got a pregnant wife and 2 year old, so while I normally agree with the fact that it IS being blown out of proportion, those that are of high risk should follow their doctor's advice.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
AGE OF AUTISM: Will H1N1 Vax Contain Thimerosal (Mercury)? ABC News Answers.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
While your intentions are good, and many agree with what you say, if her doctor is advising her to get the shot (as they are all pregnant women), she needs to follow her doc's advice.

I've not see that they're available anywhere in SA yet. I've got a pregnant wife and 2 year old, so while I normally agree with the fact that it IS being blown out of proportion, those that are of high risk should follow their doctor's advice.
Well, not only am I pregnant, but I have other health conditions and this is a high-risk pregnancy for me. Plus I have a 5 year old in a public school being exposed to God knows what.

If anyone hears of ANY PLACE giving them out...please let me know!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:

No offense, but this has very little to do with intentions. First of all, she said nothing about her doctor advising this. Of course, he/she probably did, but by writing what I did, I wasn't attempting to undermine medical advice. Of course she should follow her doc's orders. However, since my husband is a doctor (PhD) in genetics and works in infectious diseases, I'm not just throwing random information out there. I realize pregnant women are at a higher risk of hospitalization and possibly even death from H1N1 (or the secondary infections that result from it), but we need to keep perspective here--she is at no more risk of dying than a pregnant woman getting seasonal flu. It's just that the numbers of H1N1 pts seem to outweigh seasonal right now...so her odds of being infected with H1N1 are greater at this time. Another point here is that the vaccine will take 2 weeks to protect her. She'll be 36 weeks by that time, if she got it today--almost full term. Ineligible for the nasal spray, she'd have to get the injection. 25 mcg of mercury, if you are concerned about that. If she had the seasonal flu shot last year, she's somewhat protected.

I'd personally quarantine myself, if I were her...go see the in-laws or family for a couple of weeks. At the very least, lower my exposure.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
try PediDocs Pediatric Clinic - San Antonio, Texas

H1N1 vaccine info there.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Mom2Feebs: Thank you!!! I agree with you 100% !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio