Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 PM

181 posts, read 608,838 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there's a lot of H1N1 here in the city already? I know there have been a good share of viruses in past months-but not a huge increase of H1N1 like a few of the other cities in the Eastern US are seeing. Just wondered if there a lot of it going around right now?

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 10-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post was moved into a thread of its own, and it is no longer off-topic :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Sorry Bowie, thanks for moving this.

I know there were a few confirmed cases a few weeks ago in our local elementary school and one death in the NISD maybe a month ago? Just wondered how common it is now and what symptoms people are mostly seeing.

Thanks (and sorry again about the off topic on the other thread)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 AM

284 posts, read 1,081,511 times
I think there are many cases that are undocumented. When my older dd had flu-like symptoms last month, I did not take her to the doctor because she had no complications. Everything I heard and read said not to go to the doctor because doctors offices were overwhelmed. I discussed this with my doctor when I went for a check up earlier this month and she said that 95% of the flu cases in September and so far in October were H1N1.

A coworker took her child to the doctor last month because he has asthma and was having flu-like symptoms. The dr didn't even test him--he simply diagnosed H1N1.

My dd was pretty sick for about three days and still felt bad for about 3 more days. It was not a big deal.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,869,877 times
My boss and his wife had it last week. His wife also has asthma and extremely bad allergies, so she is still sick. His came and went fairly quickly. He did say yesterday that she is starting to feel a little better.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When you zoom into San Antonio on that map, you can tell which school districts are more forthcoming with the info about absences than others. There are dots all over the map with links to news stories of flu at Northside schools and almost no mentions of absences at schools in North East. Not drawing any conclusions here about either district, but it's an interesting contrast.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Thank you!

We're not getting the vax so I'm wondering what we're up against. Both kids had high fevers, coughs, throwing up a couple weeks ago but like the previous poster, we kept them in and didn't need to see the doctor. I wish there was a way to know if we were done with it for winter.

It's good to see how it's going in our area. Thank you again for the link.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 PM

170 posts, read 595,883 times
I'm an hour outside of SA, but I probably had it a few weeks ago (as diagnosed by doctor wife). Flu-like symptoms along with GI problems. Miserable for about 24 hours and several days of recovery. Not fun but not the end of the world.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,373,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubya View Post
I'm an hour outside of SA, but I probably had it a few weeks ago (as diagnosed by doctor wife). Flu-like symptoms along with GI problems. Miserable for about 24 hours and several days of recovery. Not fun but not the end of the world.
Same here last week. GI issues, but mostly really ached all over and fever. I slept for 2 1/2 day both day and night...I really was afraid that I would have trouble sleeping at night since I had slept both days, but REALLY tired and no issues at all. Stayed home a few days, just let it run its course and stayed away from others.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM

284 posts, read 1,081,511 times
From a letter that NEISD sent to parents on 9/21/09:

"Because this flu strain is widespread in our local community and throughout the U.S., neither the CDC nor Metro Health is tracking individual confirmed cases of H1N1. Instead, they are encouraging schools to take steps to reduce the spread of all types of respiratory illness. That means that specific notification to schools about positive H1N1 cases will not take place this school year as it did last school year when this pandemic first emerged and the impact of the illness was unknown."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: