Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,700 times

Advertisements

geez svg. Panhandling? Pushing people off your property? It's Halloween for pete's sake. One night out of your whole year. Lighten up, spend the 6 bucks on treats, sacrifice one hour out your precious evening and hand out some darn candy to the adorable, innocent little kids who have looked forward to this night all month long! Sometimes, in this world, it is just not all about you all the time.

Last edited by stoneoak; 10-31-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
svg......I don't see a problem with you not wanting to pass out candy....no one says you have to. But getting ticked off and pushing the guy was a bit much in front of kids. He was a bad enough example by complaining in front of his own kids.......I'm just glad he didn't have a switchblade or a hand gun. Not sure how that castle doctrine thingie would hold up on a night like Halloween when you picked the fight........

Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
I didn't hang out at home because I was out at a party until just now. Sorry, people with kids but ihad other plans.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:07 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infosucker View Post
im really curious about were the best place is to trick or treat in order to for my kid (ian) to get alot of candy.

Hershey, Pennsylvania, of course....

>>>>> oh, so sorry, it's late, I'm still not sure if I'm moving forward or backward, but I do always know how to find chocolate........

Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
I have mixed feelings on this one. I can certainly understand you not wanting/not being able to afford some candy for the kids..that's your choice.
Then I re-read some of your posts and discovered that you've punched a guy at the gas pumps and gotten violent with other drivers' on the road...now pushing someone on Halloween over some candy. I don't know what to think. Any more to the story?
I guess I'm a real passionate individual its in my Hispanic blood

seriously Its not my tradition to give out stuff on Halloween, Im a Scrooge I should get a visit from the three ghosts.

I know that its a nice gesture to give candy away, but its a better one to donate to charity. And it wasn't over some candy, the guy was banging/kicking my door when he knew I was in the garage and that I have a door bell. I don't go to other people's houses to bang their door, and make obscure remarks of them. He made sure I was going to hear his remark so he waited till he was in front of my garage to say it.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Poor skeet. Did you get a rock?

I know trunk or treats are new. I think it's a GREAT way for some safe and fun trick or treating. My church's trunk or treat gets a lot of USAA folks - the Indian people who work for them all live in apartments near my church. They love it because otherwise, yeah. Who wants to trick or treat in an apartment complex?

I grew up in a town of 900 people and we STILL didn't go out of our 'hood for trick or treating.
Didn't get a rock, unfortunately.
My apt complex had trick or treat, they left these pumpkin signs on each of our doors and it said to post it out if you will be giving out treats. I dunno if other apartment complexes are doing it too. It seemed like it was popular; saw about 12-14 kids out on my way to the store.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:42 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
geez svg. Panhandling? Pushing people off your property? It's Halloween for pete's sake. One night out of your whole year. Lighten up, spend the 6 bucks on treats, sacrifice one hour out your precious evening and hand out some darn candy to the adorable, innocent little kids who have looked forward to this night all month long! Sometimes, in this world, it is just not all about you all the time.
NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
svg......I don't see a problem with you not wanting to pass out candy....no one says you have to. But getting ticked off and pushing the guy was a bit much in front of kids. He was a bad enough example by complaining in front of his own kids.......I'm just glad he didn't have a switchblade or a hand gun. Not sure how that castle doctrine thingie would hold up on a night like Halloween when you picked the fight........
Just because its Halloween doesn't mean the law takes the night off. what grounds is he going to be on to pull out any means of defense while on someone Else's property?

well i guess as its typed it sounds neutral, I went by the tone of his voice. and In my defense only one house in my block was giving out candy. I did give a couple dollars to a sweet little girl that told me to be safe. Her parents were nice too and were very polite.

so with november in the block its time to get in the Christmas spirit.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
I gave my neighborhood and surrounding ones as examples that are safe, have little traffic and normally have a number of participating neighbors. Also the admonition to come early is because we usually turn off our lights and "go out of business" when we start seeing large groups of out of area children being driven in and the childlike atmosphere changes to older teens with younger siblings and feeling of entitlement supplants childlike appreciation.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 AM

160 posts, read 233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I guess I'm a real passionate individual its in my Hispanic blood

seriously Its not my tradition to give out stuff on Halloween, Im a Scrooge I should get a visit from the three ghosts.

I know that its a nice gesture to give candy away, but its a better one to donate to charity. And it wasn't over some candy, the guy was banging/kicking my door when he knew I was in the garage and that I have a door bell. I don't go to other people's houses to bang their door, and make obscure remarks of them. He made sure I was going to hear his remark so he waited till he was in front of my garage to say it.
I know it seems annoying, but sometimes it's better to be the bigger person and say nothing. Plenty of crazy folks out there. This could have escalated very easily and someone (even you) could've wound up 6 feet under, no?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 AM

119 posts, read 430,644 times
We were at an event most of the evening and by the time we got home at 9:30 everyone was pretty sure that going trick or treating was a lost cause. But, I didn't want my niece and nephew to be disappointed, so my sister and I took them around the block. It was quiet, we didn't see any other kids out, and it was hit or miss. But, a carload of teenagers were coming home from trick or treating and hadn't passed out their candy yet, so gave our kids each two huge handfuls of candy. That made their night!!! By the time we made it home their bags were pretty full, and it was just around the block! I especially liked how it was quiet and there were no other kids out, and those other people that opened their door either politely said they were out of candy or gave them a good amount. I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio