Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times

Advertisements

Be against the 2nd Amend. in Texas - now how did that happen?

As far as rain - nothing like being trapped at Blackhawk in the Wrath of God thunderstorm, standing under a metal roof with metal pipe construction - enjoying the lightning!

Drive out was interesting also.

YUK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
My son wants to go to the gun show this weekend. What can he expect to see there? He was asking me if they allowed people to shoot or at least handle the weapons.

I was thinking about getting him a BB gun (Like one of those Red Ryder BB guns) for Christmas, but DH said no, mainly because he doesn't know where he could actually use it. He had one as a kid, but he lived out in the country where there was room to shoot and not hit the neighbor's house. Any suggestions? He has one of those air pistols that shoots the little orange pellets, but he really wants to learn how to shoot a BB gun.

My dad taught me how to shoot, but I haven't done so in years. I remember him having bb guns, 'deer rifles' and 'dove guns' of various sizes that he taught me how to shoot - mainly just gun safety, how to load/shoot. And hat's been so many moons ago!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Catriona

The first question is how old is your son? If he is an adult, then he will be allowed to handle weapons; but if he is a minor then he'll need an adult to accompany him.

Otherwise, it is a huge trade show full of vendors selling guns and supporting equipment, as well as other things like drief beef jerky and water softeners! Pictures aren't allowed, but I did find a couple of pics that resemble the local shows...

Lastly, there is no shooting whatsoever. As a matter of fact, all weapons are unloaded and secured, usually with zip ties. They usually have police officers or security officials at the door to ensure all weapons are safed, and no ammo is allowed to be brought in if you are bringing in a weapon.

I have a 12-yr-old son who has been shooting with me for several years now. He goes to the range and even has an annual pass there. I made sure he fully understood all safety requirements, rules and regulations before I ever allowed him to touch a firearm. Now he is so proficient he could almost be a safety officer! I am a firm believe in gun safety and will not shoot with or tolerate anyone who doesn't abide by the rules!

That said, a pellet gun--available from Walmart or Academy--is a good place to start. They are less dangerous and cheaper than even a BB gun. Once he has demonstrated proficiency in safely using it, you could "graduate" him to a BB gun, and then an actual firearm if possible. But I don't even let me 12-yr-old touch our plastic pellet gun without me there, and it is the slower, weaker spring-loaded kind and not the more powerful CO² variety (and yes, I know that should be a subscript '2', but I couldn't find how to do that on the computer).

Please feel free to ask more questions if you've got them!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks, M2!

My son will be 15 soon. I searched online and found several places that offer classes. Any advice as to which ones to try out? My DD is 16 and I think it would be a good idea to teach her at the same time. Never hurts to know how.

LOL - DS says he wants a barrett 50 cal. or Baretta M93 raffica, or AR-15. Too much Call of Duty or ModernWarfare!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Catriona

We will be there Saturday morning when it opens, if you're interested in bringing your son. He and my boy could talk, my son loves to talk!

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any youth training courses as I have no experience with them; but I would figure Bass Pro would be as good of place as any if I were looking for one. Personally, I would rather teach my kids myself, that way I know what they know and vice versa. And I fully agree with your comment about not hurting to know how to handle a firearm, I wanted to remove all curiousity from my kids' minds so I could rest assured that if they ever came across a firearm, they would do the right thing and not touch it!

As for the Barrett M107, it's been on my wish list for years. I wasn't able to shoot this one, but they did let me pose with it...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/Guns/CopyofIMG_1754.jpg (broken link)

The firepower demonstration they did with it was quite impressive!

Believe it or not, there is a vendor at the shows that actually sells them! The semi-auto version goes for around $8K, the single-shot versions about half that...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Dang, that's a nice .50 cal! US Army vet here, 25th ID 1st Bn 27th Infantry. Have fired some other 50's but not the Barrett. You probably wouldn't want to be a target downrange with one of those around.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
For classes - look for basic beginner NRA classes. If you go to their web site you can get links to our area.

If one becomes a serious self-defense student - the best people in the SA/Austin area are
www.krtraining.com.

It's a bit of a drive but a good thing.

Teaching folks by yourself is OK but a professional touch is very useful if you get real serious.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'll check out the NRA site and Bass Pro and see what I can find.

My son says that he wants one of two things now. The second one offers both a hand gun type and a rifle type.

CROSMAN RAVEN AIRGUN WITH SCOPE

CROSMAN RAVEN AIRGUN WITH SCOPE

or

SOFT AIR U.S.A. COLT ON-DUTY KIT

SOFT AIR U.S.A. COLT ON-DUTY KIT

Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Check w/the local 4H organizations, as well - most of them offer shooting classes.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:47 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
i was excited about the gun show at live oak, i have a friend in the military who flew in on the 20th. he is incredibly well versed in pistols and rifles.

we missed the gun show because he forgot about a leatherman in his jacket pocket...security went crazy at the airport! he caught the next flight out of raleigh and we hit up the bullet hole the next day. love that place! he pulled out his SOCOM 2 rifle and everyone was asking us "what kinda gun is that!?"

i got a springfield 1911 .45 for christmas (shhh, don't tell my mother) and took it with us. i love those new covers they put in.

my friend brought a taurus judge and a kimber 1911 (kimbers are nice but springfields are easier to clean) it was an effective lesson in the difference between pistols revolvers and rifles. oh and it was fun too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio