Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 AM

54 posts, read 131,592 times

Advertisements

The lines are rough on me as I'm either on crutches or in a wheelchair. Next time, I'll wait for the cereal box to settle before I go looking for any prizes! :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Frankly, I wish they'd post their name on the board - always nice to know who to avoid.
Cindy did share the name with me via a DM, and it turns out they did only raise the price 3% for the price of the pistol she bought; but for some reason they charged her 12.5% sales tax!

Sales tax is capped at 8.25% under Texas law, so I advised her to contact the shop (located in Temple) and ask why she was charged that.

I won't share the name publicly but I will say they are a regular vendor at the show.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Ah...that's cool. Think I know who you're talking about - bet it was just an honest error.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:39 PM

73 posts, read 190,732 times
Thanks for your all your replies. I should have done the math, lol. MMM assures me that it was a good purchase and that made my day!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Anyone know if you can have a gun in your car in the parking lots of the military buildings located on the Port of San Antonio (Kelly)? I'm talking about having a gun in the car, not taking it out with you and bringing it in the building.
I picked up a new job today and will be working over in 178/179 and it would be nice to be able to carry a gun with me to work, especially while driving down 151 every day...

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Title 18, §930 of the US Code covers that...

Quote:
Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
I highlighted the term "facility" as it is further defined in the section as...

Quote:
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
So despite what the signs say at the gates, Title 18 §930 of the USC only prohibits firearms in federal facilities meaning buildings or parts thereof.

But it's not that simple, the Lackland base commander has prohibited personal weapons of any sort from being brought on "his" installation. As such, it is illegal to do so on Lackland; but whether bldgs 178/179 are on Lackland is for you to determine.

By the way, I have brought the error up to a USAF Security Forces captain I know, quoting the US Code as if it applies to the entire installation. He knew that wasn't correct, but added that the base commander's policy still applies.

The bottom line is there is a lot of ambiguity concerning that situation, it's your call as to whether you think it's legal or not. It's like carrying an unloaded rifle in public, it may be legal in the eyes of the law but you know the problems it can cause if you did so.

So to allow me to caveat the above, I cannot help you if you're caught doing so and action is taken against you, and you know as well as I do that it would definitely impact your ability to maintain your clearance.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Basically one of those catch 22s then.. damned if you do and damned if you don't. I suppose if you asked someone in an authority position, you'd get searched every day if they're not allowed. Guess I'll just have to see if I'm feeling lucky or not..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM

204 posts, read 940,651 times
Which shops in town are certified Glock armorers? I need some night sights installed.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoUniform View Post
Which shops in town are certified Glock armorers? I need some night sights installed.
What part of town are you in? If that doesn't matter, I would recommend Hoguns on Culebra just north of 410. Wayne is no longer an FFL, so he doesn't sell firearms anymore; but if I am not mistaken he still has his gunsmith Chris and if so, he's one of the best in the city.

Give Wayne a call first, 521-2288.

If not there, try The Powderhorn on 410 just north of 90.

If you're on the east side of SA, I would suspect Dury's (819 Hot Wells Boulevard, 533-5431) would be a good bet.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio