Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times

Advertisements

We are celebrating our anniversary this weekend and hubby wants me to pick the place. After searching through the threads and the internet, I came up with these establishments. I would appreciate anyone's reviews or recommendations for these places or any others that serve steak/seafood or Italian. Thanks!

Wildfish Seafood Grille
Roaring Fork
Milano's
Lodge at Castle Hills
Kirby's
Silo on 1604
Ounce
Aldo's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM

298 posts, read 945,216 times
Have you considered Flemings at the Quarry? The food was much better than Silo or Wildfish....although Flemings has more beef selections versus seafood....so depending on what you prefer.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Over your list I would pick the Lodge. I would also add Biga on the Banks, tell the manager what you like and the chefs will prepare a multiple course menu with wine pairings. One of the bests meals I've ever had.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
The Lodge at Castle Hills. Excellent! You can also buy a Restaurant.com certificate for savings (I've tried it myself). Have a great evening in whatever restaurant you decide to dine at on your special day!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:24 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,223 times
I've not eaten at any of the places on your list, but I've always liked Cappy's on Broadway. It's intimate and the food is excellent and it's not too pricey.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Chart House is excellent, and you get 360* views of the city. Gorgeous!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM

168 posts, read 482,927 times
Default A few more well qualified last minute entries......

When I pick a restaurant, I usually look for the best wine list. Of the ones mentioned so far in this thread, Aldo's on Fredericksburg Road has the best wine list followed by Biga. Aldo's has an extraordinary Italian menu as well. BUT, there are other restaurants that have been OVERLOOKED and they are:

Grey Moss Inn -- Helotes -- one of the best wine lists in the county. The restaurant is cozy for special settings with something for everyone on the menu.

Aldinos -- this is now on Blanco & 1604 and when it was at Central Park Mall, it was THE place to have lunch or dinner. I have been to the new location twice and it was good BUT I have only heard mixed reviews from others.

Van's Chinese on Broadway -- This is the secret hideout for many of the county's legal establishment who go there for the wine and food. You will be happy with the menu as they have live lobster, crab and plenty of seafood. They can also cook using a Tempora style approach for lobster, crab, and shrimp if you like. When it comes to cooking, they are outstanding. Sit in the back of the restaurant for a more private setting. They have extraordinary steaks. Their wine list is extensive and excellent. The Mango Ice Cream is the most popular dessert.

Piccolo's Italiano Restaurant -- near Evers & Wurzbach. The owners are originally from Albania with Italian ancestry. They have incredible seafood & some of the best Italian food you will ever taste in Bexar County. The building is a remodeled Pizza Hut but don't let that fool you. The food will sweep you away and the wine list is good and reasonably priced.

By the way, each of these restaurants mentioned so far have websites that will allow you to preview the menu, cross-check the wine list at cellartracker so that you don't get stuck with an overpriced or average wine, and ratings that are all based on user experience. Every restaurant mentioned so far will have websites, ratings and contact info if you Google it.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 PM

18 posts, read 46,893 times
My husband and I have tried Wildfish twice and both times the meal was superb. The fish is always fresh and cooked to melt in your mouth.

We ate there just a few weeks ago for my husband's birthday dinner and our waiter took great care of us - too bad I can't remember his name.

I definitely recommend Wildfish - for us it has been consistent.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,966 times
I would add to your list:

-Boardwalk Bistro on Broadway (great little mediterranean place. Also has a set course menu and wine-tasting menu. Great food and quiet/romantic.)

-The Vinyard (I had the best steak of my life there last year for my birthday!)

-Bin 555 - great little Tapas wine bar. If it's a nice night, you can't beat their outdoor patio. I like that you can order several small dishes and try a variety of things.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:47 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
Thanks so much for all the recommendations. We decided on steak, and after searching CD, I found Chama Gaucha had some really good reviews. The concept appealed to hubby, who had eaten at a similar restaurant in Dallas. We both enjoyed not only the food, but the ambiance and the service was top notch. Definitely make reservations, because that place was kickin' tonight!
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio