Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,436 times

Advertisements

I once heard a woman on TV quote a proverb: "And then there are those of us who were born to be the parents of our parents."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM

161 posts, read 330,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I would like to comment on the role of parents. Many of these kids don't have parents in the conventional sense. It's not like you call up Ward and June Cleaver and tell them that the Beaver and Wally have been tagging.

They are the kids of kids. Their moms are only 15 to 16 years older than them and the dads are gone. I recall seeing a young lady I worked with once who had a kid about 16. Then I saw here in a McD's drive through window a year later and she was happy about being pregnant again.

So arguing for parental values and fines are fine with me. I worry about whether they will work and thus are not an excuse for dealing directly with the taggers.
You make a valid point. I'm sure a good percentage of taggers have parents less than 18 years older than they are.

My wife worked at a charter school on the southside of town and was disturbed by how many teens are pregnant for a second time. She wanted to cry thinking of the life these kids will have to go through. Nothing worse than dismissing students to see them go to the on-campus daycare to pickup their kids. Unfortunately, most of the children will become victims of their parents failures in life.

Back on topic, I don't know if it will or won't help, but I still think these parental "kids" have to own up to the responsibility of having children.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Now it's even easier to catch taggers!

Quote:
Fight San Antonio tagging crimes, one smart phone per time

SAN ANTONIO -- Graffiti paints an obstacle that paralyzes some local businesses, costing them thousands of dollars to clean it off.

But now there's a new tool to tackle one of the most frustrating crimes in San Antonio.

(Full story)
The new application, currently only available for Android users, is called "mySanAntonioTX." It lets people snap a picture and report the crime using their cell phones. The app uses the built-in GPS to mark the location and attach it with the picture (as long as that feature is enabled on the cell phone). Once a report is filed, it will be sent directly to the Graffiti Abatement Program.

Officials say a version for the iPhone should be out within a month-and-a-half.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,829 times
While a cell phone app to deter tagging sounds "nice" how practical is it? How is this any different than making a phone call? Why did it take the man (in the video) weeks to file a report in the first place?

I just don't see how this "catches" taggers, it sounds more like a convenient way to file a graffiti report. You aren't taking pictures as the crime is happening, since most tagging is done covertly.

Sounds like a gimmick to me, but whatever makes some folks sleep easier at night.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,065,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
You aren't taking pictures as the crime is happening, since most tagging is done covertly.
I was driving down Marbach one day and saw some kids tag a light pole. This was at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon when there was a lof traffic and people around. I couldn't believe they were so bold. There wasn't really much I could do as I was in moving traffic, didn't really get a good look at them, and even if I would have called the cops the kids would be long gone beofre the cops get there.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,043,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The new application, currently only available for Android users, is called "mySanAntonioTX."
Meh, I prefer my app better (available to anyone with a cell phone). It's called "myCleanHood"... It's easy to use, too. In a nutshell, if I catch you spraying graff in my neighborhood, you're going to find out what it's like to eat a cell phone.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,042 times
and here's another one caught

Tagger Caught In The Act By Alert Officer - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/27902154/detail.html - broken link)

pathetic that a 21 year old man has nothing better to do, you know like work for a living.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,043,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
pathetic that a 21 year old man has nothing better to do, you know like work for a living.
That's not a man!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,042 times
good point.... =)

Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
What makes you say they're not artists? You may not like the painting they did because it was done illegally, but the act of painting will always be an artistic one despite where the painting is. Since the act of painting is always an artistic one, the painter is always an artist. If someone plays music on a street that has banned street performers and gets removed, is that person no longer a musician?
Sorry but...no...they are criminals and should be locked up! There is no corelation between being an artist and writing scribble on someones fence or business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio