Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Red light cameras fall under the same legal philosophy as parking tickets-- the owner of the vehicle is responsible for it. It's up to them to pay it or swear out an affidavit that they were not driving the car and to name the person who was.

Yes, many jurisdictions have been caught shortening their yellow in conjunction with red light cameras, and that is wrong. But do you have any evidence of this happening in Balcones Heights?
Since I avoid Balcones Heights and all those other podunk little neighborhoods like the plague, I really cannot independently measure this. Nor do I want to. I'll just avoid those places until they clean up their acts, which I imagine shall never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM

413 posts, read 741,788 times
Add me as another Balcones Heights boycotter. I'm sure that $100 ticket was well worth the tax revenue they've lost from me.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 PM

16 posts, read 66,254 times
I just got 2 tickets from 2008. You'd think there was a statute of limitations on these things. I'm considering going to court over it.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieeAggiee View Post
I just got 2 tickets from 2008. You'd think there was a statute of limitations on these things. I'm considering going to court over it.
Are we sure that it's your car? Were you driving at the time? See if there's a limit on how long they're supposed to send them out before you shouldn't be forced to deal with them. Wow, they must have a crazy backlog if they're two years behind, haha!

Pathetic losers.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 AM

27 posts, read 58,674 times
Keep the camera’s and renegotiate the contract, include the cost of all court fee’s, personnel and manning cost from disputes, regulated times for yellow light in accordance with state standards ,bigger more noticeable signage and all of this done within the contract. With annual audits and an increase of fines for repeat offenders. If the company can’t make money, then they will either stop the service or meet the obligations and make less money at first and make a steady income over time.
Me personally, I would rather have this than an underused Police force hires.
Which including salaries, benefits, insurance cost, training, etc, is quite a nice chunk of change.

Granted I know that we could use some more Police in certain area’s , but they would not be regulated to sit and catch Red light runners.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,574 times
My brother just got a ticket in the mail the other day from a red light camera in Balcones Heights. I think the fine was $75.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
Balcones Height only makes something like $16 per red light camera ticket, and even then the state puts restrictions on what it can be used for, so comments that cities using cameras are getting rich is not really correct. The rest of the money is split with the state and the company that provides the cameras. The ticket itself shows how long the light was yellow for and how long it was red before the car entered the intersection, plus you can see the actual video. If you think the timing of the yellow was messed with, then point it out but I think Fredericksburg Rd is a state road so the city could not change the timing even if it wanted to. If you weren't driving, then fill out the affidavit saying so and put down who was driving, otherwise it's like a parking ticket that goes to the owner. If you don't pay it, it will eventually lock up your car's registration under the Texas Scofflaw Program. Also, you won't get a ticket unless the light is actually red when you enter the intersection, so if you enter on a yellow and it changes to red while in the intersection, it won't send you a ticket.

Last edited by TXAG88; 10-24-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Default S.B. No. 500 bill

If this bill passes, does that mean Balcones Heights can no longer enforce traffic cameras? Not sure what they mean by "local authority".

82(R) SB 500 - Introduced version - Bill Text
Sec. 542.2035. AUTOMATED TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS
PROHIBITED [LIMITATION ON MUNICIPALITIES]. (a) A local authority
[municipality] may not implement or operate an automated traffic
control system with respect to a highway or street under its
jurisdiction [for the purpose of enforcing compliance with posted
speed limits]. The attorney general shall enforce this subsection.
(b) In this section, "automated traffic control system"
means a system consisting of a photographic device, radar device,
laser device, or other electrical or mechanical device that
[designed to]:
(1) is capable of producing one or more recorded
photographic or digital images depicting the license plate attached
to the front or rear of a motor vehicle that is not operated in
compliance with a posted speed limit or the instructions of a
traffic-control signal; and
(2) is used by the local authority to enforce
compliance with a posted speed limit or the instructions of a
traffic-control signal by imposition of a civil or administrative
penalty against the owner or operator of the motor vehicle [record
the speed of a motor vehicle; and
[(2) obtain one or more photographs or other recorded
images of:
[(A) the vehicle;
[(B) the license plate attached to the vehicle;
or
[(C) the operator of the vehicle].

Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
They have issued tens of thousands of camera red light tickets. And, the company that installed them has made over 1 million..Where do I sign up for this kind of business?
That's why I don't shop at their stores.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Wow, that sounds great! Good job, Texas State Legislature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio