Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM

134 posts, read 384,828 times

Advertisements

Of course you realize once Hollywood and Blockbuster are gone, Netflix and Redbox prices will go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 AM

47 posts, read 100,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
You really can't feel bad for a company that fails to adjust to changing times.

I can because the company employed many people it's not just a big company w/o a face. Regular Americans with families (and without) were working there.

I noticed a few days ago the one on Pleasanton & Military was closed. The strip center it was in now has 3 vacant spots it's rather sad to see.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
i have been renting movies from blockbuster since heb did the first expansion on marbach (i think i was 5 when that happened)

ever since i started personally renting from blockbuster they have had the no fee's you forget it you buy it policy. (i have so many blockbuster movies that way)

i don't mind that policy, you at least walk away with something. but i rented hancock from hollywood video and forgot to return it, and the guy said, its 30 bucks in late fees and we need the movie back.

SERIOUSLY?! no if i'm paying 30 bucks in late fee's i'm keeping the movie. (its still on my shelf) so i have no problems saying goodbye to hollywood video (cause i owe them money), i never stepped inside when it was on the corner of HEB and i haven't gone back since hancock.

i do have a monthly rental with blockbuster though, do you think they'll keep that up? i wouldn't mind seeing the blockbuster brand in a netflix format.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Blockbuster on Military and Marbach is now closed. A month or two back they were selling the store's shelving, etc.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM

85 posts, read 329,763 times
I guess the one on marbach is closing soon.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:48 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Hollywood at Bandera and 1604 is closing. Went by there today to see if they had anything good left to buy. Went by Blockbuster at Bandera and Guilbeau, they have no plans to close (of course, they wouldn't know if they were or not until their time is up LOL). They are too expensive on new and used DVD sales, IMO.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
It makes me sad to see stores like hollywood video or blockbuster close. I am personally not a fan of redbox or netflix yet. I noticed a few people complained about the late fees but that is what happens when you don't return the movie. Same concept at the local library if you don't return your books on time.

Call me old school but I prefer to actually go look at the movies and pick one out.

It will be interesting to see how netflix and redbox adjust once all the brick and mortar video stores are gone. We might get slapped with higher rental prices and late fees. Only time will tell.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Blockbuster and Hollywood Video put a lot of independent stores out of business, and now it's their turn. When companies engulf and devour their competition, I shed no tears wehn they are devoured, too.

We lost neighborhood hardware stores to Handy Dan, which lost out to Builder's Square, which lost out to Home Depot and Lowes.

We lost Variety Stores, grocery stores, clothing stores etc. to Wal-Mart.

Small Town USA is just a memory because of Wal-Mart

Personally I would like to have neighborhood stores run by neighbors than megastores run by big companies.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:54 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Good point outafocus,

I totally agree with you. I grew up in a small town not far from San Antonio and we had a lot of "mom and pop" stores before Wal-Mart opened up there. Now they are all gone.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
The Bandera Rd. & 1604 one is closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio