Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:31 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I know this puts you in a bind for your Yard Sale. I would stop by Wal Mart and buy some bright colored Poster Board which as you know is cheap. Put your signs out early in the morning.

Although I'm not 100% certain your signs may have been taken down by the City of San Antonio. There is a Sign Ordinance which prohibits signs on public right of ways unless there is a Sign Permit. You will see a sticker on those signs. All to often you will see City Employees taking down signs from telephone /power poles, grassy areas, etc. I have seen small City pickups with their beds full of signs.

I don't know if you could have your questions tonight by calling 311 (the Operators are able to answer many questions). If not get the number for the folks who deal with the Sign Ordinance and contact them Monday. This at least would help you with your next Yard Sale.

Can I ask what a Yard Sale Permit costs these days? We live in the County and no permit is required. You would think that the City would allow you to put up signs just for the weekend since you spent the money on the Permit.
The COSA takes no prisoners. I've seen Code Compliance out taking down signs from lightposts, power poles and right-of ways. The previous poster was right...the COSA ordinance allows anyone to take signs down. I would bet that Windcrest has a similar ordinance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:32 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Enforcement Codes.

Garage sale permit cost $15. Three garage sales are allowed per residential address each calendar year. However, only one garage sale is permitted every three months. Hours of garage sales are restricted to 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and should not exceed two consecutive days.
Actually the permit is $17 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I know this puts you in a bind for your Yard Sale. I would stop by Wal Mart and buy some bright colored Poster Board which as you know is cheap. Put your signs out early in the morning.

Although I'm not 100% certain your signs may have been taken down by the City of San Antonio. There is a Sign Ordinance which prohibits signs on public right of ways unless there is a Sign Permit. You will see a sticker on those signs. All to often you will see City Employees taking down signs from telephone /power poles, grassy areas, etc. I have seen small City pickups with their beds full of signs.

I don't know if you could have your questions tonight by calling 311 (the Operators are able to answer many questions). If not get the number for the folks who deal with the Sign Ordinance and contact them Monday. This at least would help you with your next Yard Sale.

Can I ask what a Yard Sale Permit costs these days? We live in the County and no permit is required. You would think that the City would allow you to put up signs just for the weekend since you spent the money on the Permit.
A sale permit is $17 now. My signs were freestanding with wire holders {think those at pep boys, mcdonalds, etc} and not blocking any public right of way. No where near a pole either. They were put out at 8am when I went to get the permit, and were gone when I went to pick them up at 5pm {sale permit allows you to go until 6pm}. I'm pretty sure they were taken around 3pm as our sale traffic greatly decreased around then.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post

A sale permit is $17 now. My signs were freestanding with wire holders {think those at pep boys, mcdonalds, etc} and not blocking any public right of way. No where near a pole either. They were put out at 8am when I went to get the permit, and were gone when I went to pick them up at 5pm {sale permit allows you to go until 6pm}. I'm pretty sure they were taken around 3pm as our sale traffic greatly decreased around then.
It's more than I thought. It's sad that you will have to sell $17.00 of items plus the cost of the old signs and cost of new signs before you start to make a profit.

There are many folks out there that are having rough times and these yard sales are a way to make extra money to help pay a CPS, SAWS, Food Bill. We get one day here in Texas to fish without a License. It seems like the COSA would have a Permit Free Yard Sale Day 1-2 Times each year. Crap they have Parking Meter Holiday's.

$17.00 is a lot to sell. People who go to Yard Sales always want a bargin.

I hope you do well !

As most will say these are not Fees they are Taxes.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Is that from HEB or directly from COSA? Garage Sale Permits have always cost $1 more at HEB than those obtained directly from the City.

Look at the bright side. Some municipalities charge even more for a permit, and impose greater restrictions than COSA. I could be wrong, but I think a permit will set you back $50 in Alamo Heights , and they don't allow you to hold a sale on Sunday.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I think that garage sale permit obtained by the City cost $15 and by HEB cost $17 - from their official website:
Enforcement Codes
the city always find a way to make $$$...

Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM

778 posts, read 2,503,338 times
Inside the city, folks are encouraged to pick up the signs, in fact, "the City is on a mission to combat bandit signs and is enlisting the help of neighborhood associations and local business owners to help remove illegally posted signs in public rights-of-way."

In my neighborhood, I see a resident out every weekend (and often during the week) removing signs from corners and light posts and such. Maybe he got the OP's!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 PM

314 posts, read 832,405 times
Call the FBI

Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Inside the city, folks are encouraged to pick up the signs, in fact, "the City is on a mission to combat bandit signs and is enlisting the help of neighborhood associations and local business owners to help remove illegally posted signs in public rights-of-way."

In my neighborhood, I see a resident out every weekend (and often during the week) removing signs from corners and light posts and such. Maybe he got the OP's!
I would bet this is what happened in your case. Either that, or the person who's property you placed it on removed it.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:57 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter what kind of sign it is or where it's at they are deemed illegal by COSA (and probably Windcrest). They can't be posted....period.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,977 times
Quote:
My signs were freestanding with wire holders {think those at pep boys, mcdonalds, etc} and not blocking any public right of way. No where near a pole either.
If they weren't on your property, then they were either on someone else's property or on public right-of-way. In either case, unless you had permission to put them there, they were illegal. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio