Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 PM

410 posts, read 923,218 times

Advertisements

Am seeking feedback on UTSA's Paralegal Program i.e. students who have completed program, experiences, etc. Also, for those already in the legal profession, seeking insight into market for paralegals in SA. Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 09:19 PM

693 posts, read 1,501,756 times
That's cool I didn't know UTSA had a paralegal program. Sorry I don't know anyone who has done it. I got my BA in political science from UTSA and never heard of it. This seems like an interesting certificate. Are paralegals in big demand for SA? I think I could see myself doing this.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:12 AM

Am hoping to get more information on this site. Thanks for responding.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
University of Texas at San Antonio Online Paralegal Program (http://cpe.utsa.edu/onlineparalegal/content/index.html - broken link)

Here's a link to UTSA's online program to get a paralegal certification.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
I completed the program in 2000. I was contemplating a career change at that time and since I loved the law anyway, I decided to give it a go. This was not an online program as it appears to be now. I feel I received quality instruction (the courses are taught by practicing attorneys) and there were some job placement opportunities, but none that I qualified for. Most of the women (and it was ALL women) were already working as legal secretaries or paralegals for private practice attorneys, and therefore had the standard "three years of legal experience" needed for most of the jobs that were posted.

If you're really serious about the paralegal profession, I know that there are smaller law firms in town who will hire you and you can get on-the-job training while completing these courses. If you're willing to stick it out making very little money at first, you can eventually do fairly well (40-50K) (yes, I know you are not going to get rich at it, all I'm saying is the money is pretty good for SA and let's leave it at that--I know there are many of you making much much much more and living the dream). Depending on which area of the law you want to work in, the stress level can be very low (think probate, real estate) to pretty high.......and 90% of the women in my class said working for lawyers is just awful. We had a couple that worked in small family law firms and they absolutely loved their bosses. So, it is just like everything else, I suppose--good bosses, bad bosses--they're everywhere.

All in all, I loved the program, but just couldn't afford to take the pay cut at the time--entry level pay for paralegals here in SA at that time was ridiculously low ($8-$9 an hour? please) and I just couldn't do it. I still have all my books and learned a lot that has proven helpful over the years even though I never used it in a career.

Good luck--it's fun, pretty demanding, and the instruction is solid.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 AM

Thank you Sapphire for sharing your experience. I see that you took program in 2000. Am curious what starting pay is for paralegals going into 2010.

I am needing to edit title to current thread. How do I do this? Am I able to edit original title in the "Reply to Thread" box? Would appreciate any help out there. Thank you..

Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Try contacting Paralegals Plus here in SA.......the attorneys I learned from all spoke highly of this agency and they were very forthcoming in dealing with me over the phone. Give them a call......it's been so long that I don't even remember who I dealt with there, but I'm sure they will be a good resource for you.

Paralegals Plus, Inc.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Default Legal professionals: status of market for paralegals in SA

Seeking feedback from legal professionals on status of today's market for paralegals in San Antonio.

Thank you...

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,055 times
Paralegals Plus is excellent. [mod]off topic[/mod]

Last edited by Bo; 08-26-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,008 times
Class Dates May 14, 2011 to August 13, 2011. Classes meet on Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (There will be no class on May 28, 2011.)

Registration Deadline Friday, April 6, 2011 by 5:00 p.m. $25 late fee applies thereafter. Registering before the deadline does not assure a spot in the class. Occasionally, there are waiting lists. Please register early because classes tend to fill up quickly!

Location All classes meet in the Business Building on the UTSA 1604 campus located at One UTSA Circle (formerly 6900 N. Loop 1604 West) in San Antonio, Texas. Online classes are available. Please visit our online website for more information.
University of Texas at San Antonio Online Paralegal Program (http://www.cpe.utsa.edu/onlineparalegal/content/index.html - broken link)

Classroom BB 3.04.08, third floor of the UTSA Business Building.

Parking Permit You must completely fill out the Parking Permit Request Form that you received in your information packet and turn it in with your Registration Form in order to receive a permit. Please park in visitor parking in Lot 4 near the Business Building on the first day of class in Staff A or Staff B spaces only. You will receive your UTSA campus parking permit on the first day of class along with your class materials.

Instruction Team Attorney instructor and paralegal teaching assistants to be announced.

Tuition Is payable to UTSA and is $1600 if paying course-by-course or $3900 if paying for the program in full. Program is MyCaa qualified. Payment should be received no later than Friday, April 6, 2011, by 5:00 p.m. Add a $25 late registration fee after the deadline. Those who have not paid in full by this day will give up their spot in the class, which will be opened for someone on the waiting list. Educational loan applicants with a loan approval date and who have paid the requisite $100 deposit are excluded from this rule. Tuition includes course notebook materials provided on the first day of class, a parking permit, Blackboard access, and all career workshops. Textbooks are not included. Students who opt to pay in full must take each course consecutively as it is offered. A student who is unable to do so will receive a refund based on the $1400 course rate.

Questions? Arianna Duggan, Paralegal Coordinator (210) 458-7420 E-mail: arianna.duggan@utsa.edu

Required Texts See current booklist. Please purchase your legal research text prior to our second class.

DIRECTIONS TO THE LOOP 1604 UTSA CAMPUS, BUSINESS BUILDING:
From downtown San Antonio, take I-10 West toward El Paso. Exit onto Loop 1604 West and take the La Cantera exit, which is the first exit after getting on Loop 1604. At the stoplight, turn LEFT onto John Peace Blvd. You will be heading inside Loop 1604. Continue on John Peace Blvd. until you see the Business Building on your right with the orange fourth floor. Parking lot 4 is directly across the street. Park only in Staff A or Staff B parking spaces. You may be ticketed if you park in any other spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio