Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 AM

4 posts, read 15,830 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a thirtysomething African American woman who is moving to San Antonio, TX in three weeks. I'd appreciate your advice as I prepare for my relocation. I need referrals for:

1. A stylist who is timely, can safely cut/color/relax hair, works in a professional shop, and provides great customer serivice.

2. A manicurist, massage therapist, aesthetician, and an eye brow waxer.

3. A certified Mazda mechanic.

4. A primary care physician, dentist, orthodontist, allergist, neurologist and a dermatologist.

5. A strong Bible based teaching ministry with a multi-ethnic congregation.

Thanks and God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,777,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catovagirl View Post
Hi! I'm a thirtysomething African American woman who is moving to San Antonio, TX in three weeks. I'd appreciate your advice as I prepare for my relocation. I need referrals for:

1. A stylist who is timely, can safely cut/color/relax hair, works in a professional shop, and provides great customer serivice.

4. A primary care physician, dentist, orthodontist, allergist, neurologist and a dermatologist.

Thanks and God Bless!
That's a lot of referrals...take a search through the forum, you'll find your answers. All of these referrals will be in here.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:38 AM

993 posts, read 2,480,244 times
I am curious, where are you moving from?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,874,209 times
Half the fun of moving to a new place is getting out and finding this stuff on your own. If we just hand you a list, where's the fun in that? San Antonio has plenty to offer everyone, even if you choose to live amongst the lowly suburbanites.

You can probably hit up one strip mall for about 6 of your requests. Saves gas, time, and trouble! Have fun when you get here.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,882,779 times
Do you speak Spanish? Ha ha, just kidding!

I think you'll find all of those easily, with the exception of #1 which has been discussed previously on this forum. The rest are no-brainers, this is a large city and once you get here you'll find folks on here very helpful in suggesting recommendations.

But I understand your concern, these are the same things we look for when we move to a new area. I am happy to report that we've been able to find a great dentist for both ourselves and our kids, a very reputable shop for our cars, and everything else we've needed (to include a therapeutic equestrian trainer for our autistic son). So you can see why I say don't worry about it, these concerns shouldn't delay any move you have planned.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,561,578 times
This depends on what side of town you are looking at. Then maybe I could give in some suggestions.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,249,970 times
Do you know what part of town you are settling on? DM me for info to question #5

Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 PM

791 posts, read 3,946,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catovagirl View Post
Thanks and God Bless!
Hi and welcome to San Antonio!
  • There are several people in my family who have the same hair needs you do, so if you DM me your contact info, I'll forward you all the info on where they go & who they recommend.
  • For manicurist, I highly recommend Isabel Robles in the Grace Casas salon on Sunset between Broadway & 281. She has an amazingly wonderful personality and does very high quality work. Sometimes hard to get an appointment with, but she'll try to squeeze you in.
  • Brow waxing: Terry at Brows to Brazilians on Lockhill Selma is a waxing wizard. She rocks.
  • Mazda mechanic: I own a Mazda and have been taking my car to Foreign Affair Car Repair in Schertz since I bought it new & was still under warranty. I don't know if he's a "certified Mazda mechanic" but he did some warranty work for me at one point, so I'm guessing he is. Bob and his wife Olga have been running the operation for nearly 20 years - specialize in Japanese and German cars, EXTREMELY honest, pay attention to details and have pretty good pricing (not the cheapest, but do you really want cheap work on a car you care about?). The only drawback is that they're waaaay out in Schertz which is a 20-25 minute drive from my house just north of downtown. Your mileage may vary.
  • Doctors - well there are tons of recommendations in this forum if you search
  • Church: my family is mostly catholic, and many of my black and non-black family members attend Holy Redeemer near St. Phillips College. They love it - very welcoming and multi-ethnic congregation. If you're not catholic, well, can't help you much there.

To get phone numbers/contact info for any of the above, Google is your friend. Best of luck in your move!

Last edited by CelesteDF; 11-28-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,299,397 times
Welcome to San Antonio!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,830 times
On my way. There was a delay. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio