Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 17,818 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody;

I'm international student at the university of the incarnate in San Antonio, Texas. I'm a graduate student there enrolled in an MBA program with concentration in international business.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been fooling my mind whether I should stay in Incarnate Word University, or transfer to Texas A&M San Antonio. I have been accepter to Texas A&M MBA program but I don't know if it's worth transferring there or not.

The reason I'm saying this is because I have a couple of friends who told me that Texas A&M is a better school than UIW because everybody knows it, and you will have better career prospects and job opportunities if you want to stay in the US

Just to let you know guys, Incarnate Word is a private catholic school slightly more expensive than Texas A&M which is a public school. (money is no matter)

Anybody from San Antonio (or from anywhere) can help me here please ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Texas A&M is the second largest university in the second largest state. I had never heard of Incarnate Word before I moved to SA. A&M is known internationally. I imagine A&M's tuition is cheaper, too.

Since you seem to have designs on living outside of San Antonio after completing the MBA, it seems like A&M is the better choice for you.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:57 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Since you seem to have designs on living outside of San Antonio after completing the MBA
I didn't get that from her post.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Please I would really appreciate more opinions...anybody else can help please ?

Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
I graduated from A&M San Antonio in 2005 so I'm a bit biased in choosing A&M but I did like the fact that I am part of a new school. The business faculty is good and classes are small and you will be part of the very first cohorts to graduate from the school. The only downside I can think of is if you live in the dorms at UIW, there are no student housing as of yet at A&M - SA.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:44 PM

I really appreciate your help guys...but nobody really answered my question !! do you think that getting an MBA from Incarnate Word is the same as getting an MBA from A&M ? if not, which one you think would provide me with better chances to find a job ?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:58 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
If you want to focus on International Business with your MBA, your best bet is to stay put at UIW. A&M does not have concentrations at the moment.
I did not see your question in your earlier post; thanks for clearing it up.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:51 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor1967 View Post
do you think that getting an MBA from Incarnate Word is the same as getting an MBA from A&M ?
I think they are roughly equivalent.

A&M San Antonio would have more name recognition outside of Texas, simply because of it's A&M name. Some people may even believe it's the one from College Station.

Within Texas, people would view them near-equally. There may be personal preferences that sway some toward one or the other, but on the whole, they're about equal.

Personally, I don't think the slight, possible bump in name recognition alone would be enough reason to transfer.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:25 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I am going to argue the opposite in regards to the name recognition thing. A&M San Antonio is a newer school. The Almuni system and background that is there isn't as strong. I went to a small undergrad school, but even though the school is small the alumni network is going to be spread of throughout the country (and the world). Professional networking is so important these days that I think just for the history of UIW would make me stay there.

In addition, UIW is a private school. The courses may not transfer. So, even though you may be saving money initially, you may end up spending more time at A&M SA in the long run.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
I didn't get that from her post.
I missed that she was considering A&M SA. I thought she was looking at A&M College Station. I don't have an opinion on A&M SA and I'm not sure that any of what I offered was helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio