Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times

Advertisements

Also I second the youtube suggestion when you're ready to strike out on your own. I recommend kandee johnson, she's a freelance make-up artist in L.A. A lot of her videos discuss more intense make-up applications than you're going to do on a daily basis (at least for me, ha), but she's knowledge and you can pick up a ton of fundamental tips from her videos. For example she has a good video on plucking/shaping your eyebrows if you don't know how. Her videos are very friendly and approachable too, which makes them fun to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Going to a makeup counter in a department store CAN be helpful, but it can also be a shock if the salesperson is too heavy handed. Also, brands will make a difference. You sound like a young (er, ish?) person who would probably more enjoy an experience at the MAC or Benefits counter. With either one, DO make sure you let them know right off the bat that you've not worn makeup before and what specifically you're looking for. I'd definitely recommend Vanessa at the Benefits counter in Macy's at North Star mall! She's a DOLL, very hip and fun, and actually wears light makeup herself. As stated before, there is an expectation to buy when you get a makeover, but they also sometimes have free "events", so maybe call and ask about those.

Another option could be the "in home" alternative (ie Mary Kay, Beauty Control). There are several of those types of companies and the benefit is that they come to your home so it's more personalized. However, these folks work on a strictly commission basis, so the pressure to buy is higher. But, if you're going to anyway.....

Good luck! Seems like a lot of us have love OR hate relationships with makeup (I'm one that LUVS makeup - mainly gawdy, bright, peacock eye colors! ). You may actually end up being ok with it!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
If going to a make up counter, feel free to walk around a bit after the application. Go outside and look at yourself in a mirror etc etc.

For someone that does not usually wear make up, you may want to make certain you are very sure that the color, coverage and lasting wear etc etc are exactly what you are looking for and without the past experiences to rely on, you'll want to go the extra step to ensure you will be happy with your purchases.

I for sure wear make up and even sometimes I will go outside in the daylight to inspect a blush or bronzer.

The only other suggestion I have besides what has been mentioned is to have a make up artist come to your home and perhaps give you a tutorial. All you would pay for is her time. For instance, a make up artist I have used back home uses strictly MAC make up. She did my make up for an event or two and if I liked what she used I could write it down and go off and buy it from MAC.

This is more $$ as the MAC employees at the mall will do it for free, but, even with an appt. the make up artists there get busy and may have to leave you to help a customer at the counter or to help another employee etc. which can be distracting and a time waster.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
How about a makeup artist? Did a search on google and came up with a few in San Antonio.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM

417 posts, read 982,404 times
Thank you all for suggestions and thank you Bowie for the edit you did a better job than I did!

I need to learn to crawl...I need to know what's good for my face and complexion and what to buy...My ultimate goal is to enhance and make it look like..I have always looked like this... "Natural" hehehe

I am such a noob

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
I am a makeup artist (but I don't live in Texas!) and just wanted to give you some advice:

Be very specific in what you want. Tell the artist that you normally don't wear makeup and that you still want to look like yourself...only enhanced!

Are you looking for special event makeup or for every day makeup? A good place to start would be a Bobbi Brown counter. You can even do MAC. I work for MAC but I'm not your "traditional " makeup artist...I am very low key and don't do super dramatic makeup on anyone.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM

417 posts, read 982,404 times
Thanks Giz.. I'm looking for everyday...or lets say I need to make a new habit make time for me and feel better.

There is an Angelina Jolie..inside waiting to get out...I mean the..tom boy ..feminine gal...look.

I've been looking at some of the makeup app video's but I hear a lot of ..well for your tone...I have no clue what that is...I know white or ivory..is not a good look...I am looking for a kit..something not too expensive that's put together for me...I need to be doing some homework but I need guidance.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
I am looking for a kit..something not too expensive that's put together for me...I need to be doing some homework but I need guidance.
You're probably going to have some sticker shock with MAC, FYI. They have very good products and it's often worth it, but it can get expensive. Check out MAC cosmetics online so you have the correct expectation before you get in a sticky spot in-store.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 PM

103 posts, read 489,607 times
I agree with Backliteeyes... MAC can get expensive. They are very very very helpful though. Just because they know how to do crazy makeup does not mean they will do it to you. Just be very detailed on what you like, and take a picture of a look you like. If you want some names of people at MAC who are awesome I can DM them to you. I used to get my make-up done every weekend but I cut back haha. I also have a make-up artist who is amazing I can send you her info as well. She has pictures on her website and she does awesome work.

I didn't start to wear make-up till 22.. and if you looked at pictures of me back then boy, could you tell I did not know what I was doing.

MAC changed my life... they taught me how to apply it for going out and for a natural day look. I can now do it like a pro.

Another great place to look at is sephora.They have all types of make-up there and the associates are always willing to help you find something.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times
If you're serious about learning to do it on your own, there is a really great book my Kevin Aucoin called: Making Faces.

Amazon.com: Making Faces (9780316286855): Kevyn Aucoin: Books

It will teach you just about anything you wanted to know about makeup application (even some fun, over-the-top looks for when you're feeling more adventurous.)

You can buy it at Amazon for pretty cheap.....

As far as makeup counters etc., one thing to keep in mind is that some of the high-end companies own drugstore brands. For example, Lancome owns L'oreal and Maybelline...so many of their research/formulations are shared. You really don't have to spend a fortune to look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio