Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times

Advertisements

This sounds pretty cool before you start trying it on: Virtual Fashion MakeUp - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Free to try, $29 to buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Before you go anywhere, go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a handful of fashion magazines that suit your taste. Go through them and tear out pictures of models or actresses that have a look you are going for. You mentioned Angelina Jolie....she's is gorgeous! And her make up these days is very tasteful but still very feminine with a touch of glam. Just not too much.

Take three or four with you so you can show whoever it doing your makeup what you're aiming for. Be sure to have your hair looking your best because it frames your face. The most perfect make up job in the world would be hard to judge if someone has a bedhead or maybe a severely pulled back pony tail. Also wear something flattering....all of it will pull together the whole picture, which is really what you're trying to do. Makeup alone is only one part of your image.

I ditto, Bobbi Brown and MAC. I can't remember if Sephora has anyone that does make up, but since they sell all the brands almost, they may have some good recommendations of some freelance make up artists. Take your tear sheets to them too! I can't go in Sephora without spending a fortune. I'm too much of a girly girl.....make up, perfume, jewelry.....I love it all! (keep the shoes and purses for someone else....lol!)

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM

269 posts, read 745,839 times
I am a Bare Escentuals fan. Have been wearing their bare minerals for a few years. I think this may be a good starting point for you. My friends 13yr old wanted to be a girl over the summer and was afraid of the clown look. When I told her that this is what I used and showed her some product we were off to the store at La Cantera. The kits are a great deal. They are not on commission so although they will suggest and give you a spiel about the line, you will not find a hard sell.

What ever way you choose. Ask the person you think looks the best in their 'work'.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 PM

417 posts, read 982,754 times
Wow..this is all excellent food for thought. I'll go to the mall this weekend and look for magazines..and maybe that book.

Salutes to all of you...thanks kindly for the information.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 AM

28 posts, read 94,801 times
I love Ulta, and we have several around San Antonio. Benefit has an eye make-up kit that I love and it has little cards that come with it that tells you excatly how to put it on and has several different ways to do your eyes. It is a really fun little kit just ask at Ulta or any Benefit counter. Don't be afraid to try alot of differant ways and enjoy it, you will find one that works perfect for you. I agree with another poster, do make sure to view your make-up in the outside light. I do mine everyday by the brightest window in my house.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Just got an email that the Dior counter at saks is having an event on the 10th and that all the counters are having a make over event on the 12 th.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
still chuckling over this one. Thanks cr.

I don't wear make-up either (nothing but a paper bag could salvage this face), but can I just throw out one question...what is the deal with shaving off the eyebrows and then penciling them back on. ?? I don't get it.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:56 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Uh-oh! They are passing their trade secrets on You Tube! Eek; they could influence some of the younger crowd. Oyy....

Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 PM

288 posts, read 926,673 times
I suggest going to Nordstrom. One of the few department stores where you aren't required to spend a minimum amount in order to get the free makeover (except at the MAC counter where you have to spend $25). I love MAC and Smashbox make-up. Unless you are going to buy your make-up at the drugstore, it's going to be expensive. Stay away from Laura Mercier, Shesiedo, Chanel, and a few others. Many others like Clinique (hate it), Smashbox and MAC are comparably priced. If you don't know if the product will be good, check out makeupalley.com for reviews on absolutely every product on the market. Have fun! Make-up is great if done appropriately!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM

417 posts, read 982,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Just got an email that the Dior counter at saks is having an event on the 10th and that all the counters are having a make over event on the 12 th.

Is this for just anyone? I have the 12th off **dances**
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio