Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 AM

338 posts, read 1,231,371 times

Advertisements

After a few nights of debating, our 7year old daughter decided she wants a dog for Christmas. The deal was made that she can have a puppy, but ultimately mom and dad choose what kind to get. We decided on a beagle, but after a few searches in google, and mysa.com for classified, I came up short. Craigslist only offered search results with people wanting beagle puppies as well. Any ideas as to where we can find some . Im hoping to find one by Christmas week, but it is not necessary as my daughter understands it might be hard finding one. Thanks for any info.

-petrock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,136,575 times
Have you looked on Petfinder.com? It directs you to organizations based on your criteria set in the search feature. You may need to expand your search outside of S.A. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 AM

298 posts, read 946,094 times
Beagles are the cutest things as puppies.....but they howl SO MUCH! You may already know this, but just wanted to let you know in case you want to rethink breeds.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,492,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
Beagles are the cutest things as puppies.....but they howl SO MUCH! You may already know this, but just wanted to let you know in case you want to rethink breeds.
completely agree --- my dad had a beagle as boy and said he howled and howled and even his bark sounded like a howl ... beagles are also known, as a breed, to be very stubborn and mischievous ...

with that being said i also did a search and came up short ... you may need to contact a breeder out of town and either pay shipping or drive to pick up your new pup...

another option is to take your daughter down to the humane society and adopt a new puppy/dog for her --- it would be a great learning/teaching lesson for her about compassion and the importance of providing a home to an unwanted animal...

BTW...did you by any chance research mini schnauzers??? we LOVE that breed in our house ... we've had 3 ... they do not shed and very intelligent and easy to train ... if you need a name of a reputable breeder for mini schnauzers DM me...i can provide a link to her website...she is out of Oklahoma, so you would have to either pay for shipping or drive to Dallas (which is what we did) to pick up your pup, as she ships her pups out of Dallas ...

good luck !!!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,062,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
They're diggers, too. Every person I've known that had a beagle breathes a heavy sigh. They love their little guys, but they're a handful compared to many other breeds.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
completely agree --- my dad had a beagle as boy and said he howled and howled and even his bark sounded like a howl ... beagles are also known, as a breed, to be very stubborn and mischievous ...

with that being said i also did a search and came up short ... you may need to contact a breeder out of town and either pay shipping or drive to pick up your new pup...

another option is to take your daughter down to the humane society and adopt a new puppy/dog for her --- it would be a great learning/teaching lesson for her about compassion and the importance of providing a home to an unwanted animal...

BTW...did you by any chance research mini schnauzers??? we LOVE that breed in our house ... we've had 3 ... they do not shed and very intelligent and easy to train ... if you need a name of a reputable breeder for mini schnauzers DM me...i can provide a link to her website...she is out of Oklahoma, so you would have to either pay for shipping or drive to Dallas (which is what we did) to pick up your pup, as she ships her pups out of Dallas ...

good luck !!!
No luck on Petfinder? That's a bummer.
I have a mini schnauzer and I second your thoughts on their no shed feature and easy to train.
I got lucky finding him on Craigslist; if not I would have gotten on City-Data for Min Sch recommendations!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM

OP: How about finding a beagle mix? Mine was a beagle/jack russell mix and there was no howling but he did love to dig. I got lucky it wasn't vice versa!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 PM

there are also puggles --- pug/beagles --- very very cute puppies --- our friends had a puggle but he was a digger ...

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
No luck on Petfinder? That's a bummer.
I have a mini schnauzer and I second your thoughts on their no shed feature and easy to train.
I got lucky finding him on Craigslist; if not I would have gotten on City-Data for Min Sch recommendations!
no skeet --- on petfinder all i found were either mixes or dogs that had the coloring of a beagle that they called a beagle but was clearly not a beagle...

Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
no skeet --- on petfinder all i found were either mixes or dogs that had the coloring of a beagle that they called a beagle but was clearly not a beagle...
I would be scared to get a dog from that group! (The ones that cannot clearly identify a beagle). Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio