Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,724 times

Advertisements

Im currently a senior in high school with a desire in the veterinary field. I want to attend Palo Alto college when I get out of school but one of the requirements to enroll is 80 hours working/volunteering at a vet clinic where I can observe minor/major surgical procedures. So far I can't find any clinic near me or around my area that offers such and the ones that do only offer it to does already taking veterinary classes.

So im volunteering at ADL (Animal Defence League) at the moment just to get the feel of being around animals but sadly that won't count for the hours I need. If anyone knows of clinics that have any volunteer work for non-college students please let me know . Thank you in advance, Richard Gomez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times
Try the Humane Society just outside Loop 410 on Fredericksburg Road. They're always in need of volunteers and possibly it would count for the work experience.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Humane Society was a choice on my list but they might just be a pet shelter like ADL. Im going to call them later to ask but for me to get credit I need to observe a Vet or R.V.T. and get a letter of recommendation from them.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times
Let's see...there a vet clinic on Potranco Road next to a storage place. It's called St. Francis of Assisi and there's an Emergency Pet Care Clinic next to Mr. Cod on Grissom Road...good luck..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 PM

I think I will try and volunteer at the ACS (Animal Care Service). One of there volunteer duties on the list is to help as clinic aides and VT (Veterinary Technicians). So looks like this might be a place to look into.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Why don't you try to contact the department chair at Palo Alto......they're usually very willing to talk to people excited about their programs and they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Dr. Fonzie Quance-Fitch Director Rm 126 486-3369 (LOL the Fonz?)

Ms. Elena Garza Senior Secretary Rm 100 486-3355

Kristie McCann R.V.T./Recruiter/Advisor Rm 109 486-3360

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 AM

173 posts, read 597,933 times
I dont know about clinics, but several of the organizations that work with cat rescue can always use the help. Contact almost any of the Petsmarts in town that do the cat adoptions and they can put you in touch with S.C.A.T. or Puurfect Haven or any of the others. Youre a good man, Charlie Brown. Good luck to you.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,485,815 times
hmmm...there is a vet on Boerne Stage Road that my cousin's daughter volunteers at ... i THINK it's Leon Springs Vet Clinic, or something to that effect ... she is a student at Health Careers and has been volunteering there for about a year or so ... I don't know if it's too far from you or not, but it's worth a shot to give them a call ...

i just googled "vet offices on boerne stage road" and got several hits ... you may want to call them and see if any of them are willing to work with you ...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,757 times
Default Utsa

I too have been looking for clinics to volunteer at. Unfortunately in many cases, it is not what you know but who you know. Doing the research I have been doing since I am already erolled to earn my BA in Business to apply at a Veterinay Hospital, I have found out that these Universities do not just want Veterinary Hospital experience. They also want to see how much you contribute to your community. So a good reccomendation would to apply for even the San Antonio Zoo, they offer it. Even just volunteering for the food bank will benefit.

I am unsure if you are wanting to become a Vet Tech or a Veterinarian, but Palo Alto does not offer the DVM program to become a Veterinarian. The closest University that offers it is Texas A&M in College Station. You may also want to consider where you are going for school and look at your options. UTSA offers prerequisites for Texas A&M and you can take them on their campus. And for that matter, they only require you to have 50 hours of experience. I am hopefully going to be applying at UC Davis in California and they unfortunately ask for a minimum of 180 hours of experience but reccomend that I complete 2,500 hours.

I have gotten a lot more informatio during this time, so if there is anything you need help with, let me know. Good luck on your search!!

P.S. I have attached a few websites you may want to check out (got this from my school)
Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges [URL="http://www.aavmc.org"]www.aavmc.org[/URL]
American Veterinary Medical Association [URL="http://www.avma.org"]www.avma.org[/URL]
Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service [URL="http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas"]www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas[/URL]
Veterinary Medical College Application Service http://www/aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas/htm (broken link)
I would reccomend contacting someone at UTSA for your questions, they are very helpful.
University Health Professions Office [URL="http://www.utsa.edu/healthprofessions"]www.utsa.edu/healthprofessions[/URL]
210-458-5185 [EMAIL="hpoffice@utsa.edu"]hpoffice@utsa.edu[/EMAIL]

Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,757 times
You want to focus on actual Veterinary Hospitals. Call or go into the ones in your area and tell them what your interests are. Just as another pointer, some of these Vets like the fact that you are intending on going to the same school as them. My boss got me in with his Vet because she is an Aggie and so is he. Grab a phone book and start calling. It takes time but these other people got there somehow so you can too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio