Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM

4,055 posts, read 5,625,995 times

Advertisements

Good luck finding any no-kill shelter that is accepting pets. I've tried when cats are dumped or abandoned near us. Seems those are overwhelmed, always at capacity. So most unwanted pets are just abandoned by the side of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,301,904 times
There is a no kill shelter in Fredericksburg and I think the one in Kerrville is also no kill.
Animal Rescue League in El Paso is also no kill. Long way to drive but if they can take your dog and give her a good home, it will make you feel better.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,028,940 times
Would she do okay outdoors for a few hours a day during daylight with people around while they tend horses?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,459 times
Yes, we got her at a shelter, but I don't plan to return her there even though it is a no kill shelter. I intend on finding her the right home where I know she will be loved and well cared for. I just don't have the heart to cage her. I'm not in a great hurry to see her leave, I want to make sure she will be happy wherever I place her. We don't have problems with her, she is a sweet loving dog. But Roxie wants someone who she can be with 24/7 (I'm exagerating) but someone who can spend time just hanging out with her. She is not my only pet, but she is the neediest and in the intrest of her happiness, this is the most fair thing to do. And just to qualify, I am not new to pet ownership. I have a degree in Veterinary Technology. I have a 24 yr old cat and another dog. I do know what they need and what it takes to own a pet. So with that said, I want Roxie to be happy and she's not because we can't give her the time she craves. Clearly it was not understood in my original post about her needing a family with more time, but I'm not sure what else I could have said to make the point any more clear.

Thank you to those of you who have posted ideas on finding her a home. I have tried all those and more. Again, I'm not in a rush to see her leave, and the right "fit" will come along.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Would she do okay outdoors for a few hours a day during daylight with people around while they tend horses?
Yes she would do fine as long as she wasn't alone. Horses? Not sure, she's never been around them, but she would learn quickly. She is smart and obidience trained.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,817,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amskillin View Post
Yes, we got her at a shelter, but I don't plan to return her there even though it is a no kill shelter.
You may want to check with the shelter anyway. Many shelters today (along with breeders) make adopters sign a contract that if for some reason they can't keep the dog, the original "owner" (shelter or breeder) has to be notified and usually there is a clause that they have first rights at the animal. Especially if she's chipped...this happened to a friend of mine: adopted a dog that didn't work out well with their family, gave dog to another family, family "lost" dog, dog turns up at vet clinic in a horrible condition because a good samaritan found her on the road; vet scans the dog and calls owner number 1---because the info on the microchip was never changed. Shelter never knew in this case, but it very well could have. I'm not saying that this would happen with your Roxie...just saying that you MIGHT want to check with the shelter and the agreement you signed with them (if there was one).

I do wish you luck on re-homing her. I wish I could help. But we recently took in a stray dog and last year took in a cat thrown from a car. Brings us to 3 cats, 2 dogs and I just can't handle anymore at this time.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 PM

272 posts, read 638,915 times
Just be sure to charge a small rehoming fee, like $25 because if not there are people that will pose as a loving potential owner and then turn around and sell her to a research lab. They always look for the "Free to good home.." signs. Good Luck for her sake.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,301,904 times
I'm hoping that maybe HillCountryHotRodMan could be the one giving her a home.
I keep checking back on this thread. I'd love to see her get another home and it will do you good knowing she has another good home.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,028,940 times
Well, I just found out that I may not be home much during the first 3 months of the new year, which blows many plans... but that's work for ya. Especially when you work in Govt.

I don't know what's going to happen now, but we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio