Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,477 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Roxie, a very sweet and calm mix breed (possible rott/austrailian shepherd) needs a new family for Christmas. Roxie weighs about 90 lbs and is lazy, calm and cuddly. She loves to hang out with you, keep you company and go for the occasional walk. Roxie is 4 1/2 yrs old, spayed and in great health, except for a few extra pounds. Roxie is housebroken, likes cats and other dogs. Roxie MUST be an indoor dog. She has been very spoiled that way and would not do well as an outside dog. Also, she is an excellent watch dog. She will alert you to any noises that are out of the ordinary day or night. Roxie's vaccinations are up to date and she is on heartworm prevention. Sadly, Roxie doesn't fit in with our family anymore. She needs and craves more time and attention and we have 2 very young children and busy schedules. Roxie would love to be in a home with older children, a mature couple or a single person who has lots of time for her. We love Roxie very much and will screen carefully. We want to make sure that Roxie will be going to a loving forever home where she will be cared for and loved. Please email or call me with any questions. [/SIZE]210-392-5452. amskillin@satx.rr.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amskillin View Post
Sadly, Roxie doesn't fit in with our family anymore.
Not sure how much sympathy that is going to garner, but good luck finding her a home. She sounds like a great dog.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:16 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
what a great gift to give an animal for Christmas.. absolutely pathetic! definitely no sympathy from me.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:34 PM

546 posts, read 1,499,782 times
i hope you find your dog a good home. Try a rottie rescue group hopefully they can help in locating a home for her.

It does somehow bother me that you say that your dog no longer fits in with your family... People almost always give up their animals when a baby shows up or kids come into the picture. it just seems like a poor excuse. It irks me...dogs are almost lifelong commitments...if you cant commit now or sometime later dont get one.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
The motto of City-Data as explained in the TOS is "We are here to help each other." Some posts that appeared not to be offered in that spirit were deleted above. I've left on the board a couple of posts that express a point of view that may not be viewed by all as helpful, in expectation that theirs is a widely-held sentiment on the forum. That point has been made, so now it's time to move forward and focus on helping the OP re-home the dog or identify resources to help her/him do so.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
A picture would help a lot...and best of luck with your effort to find this dog a suitable home. Unfortunately, too many people would take the easy way out and just let it loose somewhere; but you sound like you genuinely want to find her a new family...

Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,477 times
While I understand the point of views expressed here, I will also say that Roxie was intended to be a lifelong family member. We NEVER had the intention of re homing her. However, things change and families change. The reason we need to rehome her is for her benefit as well as ours. She isn't as happy as she could be. She needs a family that has more time than we do. So really, I am thinking of her more than us. Roxies is an awsome dog and if we didn't love her as we do, we wouldn't be putting her needs in front of ours. This is the first time I have ever had to do this. So, yes, I am defending myself on this point and asking you not to be so judgemental.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Go to the vets in San Antonio and surrounding areas and post her picture and personality on the bulletin boards along with a contact name and phone number.
If you have to take her to a shelter, please make sure it's a NO KILL shelter.
Ask friends, family, and neighbors if they have any ideas of where Roxie can go.
Also try petfinder.com - That's how I found all 3 of my dogs, 2 came from Ruidoso and 1 came from El Paso.
I have family in S.A. but they either have the amount of dogs they can handle or they can't have dogs.

I hope you find a home for her that fits.

By the way, if you got Roxie from a shelter, you need to let the shelter know you're trying to find her another home. On the other hand, if it's not a no kill shelter, I wouldn't take her back there.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Hey--I totally understand. 100%. We have a "Roxie" ourselves. We adopted her from the county shelter 3 weeks before I found out I was pregnant with our first child (after three years of fertility drugs and just about giving up). I was very worried about having a baby to care for along with a dog. My husband felt like we could do it, so we kept her.

One of the "quirks" that my daughter has (who is now 4 1/2 and has moderate autism) was that early on, she had total disinterest in the dog. She left the dog alone, and the dog left her alone. Our second daughter, now 21 months, LOVES the dog. Tries to play with her. The dog does not understand this behavior, and has bitten her 3 times. She's the sweetest dog ever--but she is just not good around little fingers. How are people supposed to know this? They don't, bottom line. I posted on City-Data about trying to find her a home, and though I got a lot more sympathy over on the Houston forum, nobody took her. So, unfortunately, she spends a lot of time in her crate indoors, and especially when the baby is out playing. Thankfully now we have a yard, so at least the dog can go play ball with my husband when she gets restless. In our condo in Houston it was havoc!

So listen--people can judge all they want. They don't know you or your situation. Good grief, it's not like you're leaving her on the side of the road. You're trying to find a great home for her! That's a lot more than most people in this city do. You do what you have to do for your family. I'm one pet owner that TOTALLY understands! Good luck to you!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
huge difference was you just explained the details of a situation and the other left plenty of room for opinions to form. There are of course a million sides to every story and that's why it helps to have a good author at the helm of the keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio