Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,983 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the best area to move to. I do not need a family oriented neighborhood in fact I really do not like subdivisions because I would like to walk to area shops and restaurants. I also have a dog so a nearby park or walk trails would be great.

Traffic does not bother me as I have lived in DC, Atlanta, Chicago, and LA area. It was easy driving in Houston.

What are the winters really like. I like heat and humidity with lots of sun. I heard it does get cold in S/A but is there sun? How about rain? Do you get alot in the summer and winter? I saw Houston got snow recently. Did S/A get any? I hate snow!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
There are some great links here...good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Si habla Espanol?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
From what I've experienced (and given that you're from Chicago) winters aren't an issue at all. Snow is extraordinarily rare and ice seems to come around every few years according to coworkers.

As far as neighborhoods go, that's not my area of expertise. At least not the kind that you're looking for but I'm sure others will show up soon.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 AM

437 posts, read 902,609 times
Summers tend to be hot; this last one saw almost 60 days at or over 100 degrees. I have a neighbor who's lived in SA for over 80 years, and she said she doesn't remember ever seeing anything like it. We had something like 36 days in 1998. Anyway, for the most part summers are hot with little rain. Sometimes we have droughts, sometimes it rains every couple of weeks. 2007 was exceptional; it rained pretty much all summer.

Winters are usually very nice Scuba Steve described them. Normally it's sunny with some yucky days.

Falls and Spring are my favorite (though June gets pretty toasty); sunshine, 70's or 80's, some rain showers.

As far as neighborhoods go, there's a lot of choice! If you don't want subdivision, how about a historical district (old homes with character) or a small town right on the outskirts of San Antonio (or a small town right in the middle of San Antonio)? It'll depend on your budget too. Do you know where you'll be working? It would be nicer not to have to deal with traffic...less time on the road, more time to walk your dog. (I have three.)

Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
It sounds like the inner city area( inside Loop 410) is what your looking for to fit your wants. There are several areas depending on your budget. High priced like King William and Monte Vista or lower range but still nice like Southtown, Mahncke Park, Tobin hills, Government Hill...I'll think of more later.
What kind of budget do you have and what area of the city will you be working? that will answer alot of questions about where to live.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM

454 posts, read 688,356 times
I dont know if its because I've visited from October on; but the weather in S.A. can get a bit cold for me. The weather was really good some days, and **** cold others.

As far as Im concerned; its just like the weather up here in Dallas. I was hoping San Antonio was 'desert tropical' but definently not all year. And for someone not used to quick changes in cold; its not enough. Notice how South Fl is the only spot that has red; meaning warm all year round. Thats why I havent gotten used to this cold weather bull**** lol

Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
How about San Diego? Probably the best all-around weather you can get in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio