Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times

Advertisements

I think it's going to be the bus for you until you can save enough to put down on a gently used, older car at a lot. Might be a wise choice anyway, considering your financial circumstances.

Been there, done that, wrote the book. Things are different now for us, but I remember those days well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
Ouch checked Enterprise w have to have the 200 dollar deposit on card and a flight intenarary. Have to find something else have very limited income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think it's going to be the bus for you until you can save enough to put down on a gently used, older car at a lot. Might be a wise choice anyway, considering your financial circumstances.

Been there, done that, wrote the book. Things are different now for us, but I remember those days well.
Very wise words from Mom2Feebs. Sounds like the bus is going to be the "something else" that will work for you. Good luck to you.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,374 times
Well we will see what can be done was a little leary about the bus have not caught it in years have the kids but I guess we will have to try it your correct we don't have any other choices as of now. Thanks so much for the advice hopefully we can get reasonable tickets for a family of 5. Bless You Guys

Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
Here are some bus tips-

But a bus pass at the beginning of the month, you can get them at some of the park-n-ride or Via locations (see website). Any students or srs can get them at reduced rates. You need one per person, but anyone can use a regular adult pass. Buying even just one can save money, pass it to whoever needs to go somewhere that day.

Write down the number/letter code on the bus stop signs in your area, you can use the automated phone system to get exact times for that stop. Be aware that times are different on weekends and holidays.

The call in number/websites can also plan your trips, but can often take you out of your way. Sometimes walking a block to cross another bus line can save you an hour of commuting time.

Take something to read!

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,213 times
The Enterprise at the airport will not rent to you with a debit card unless you have a flight itinerary. Some of the non-airport locations will rent to you with a debit card but they require a lot of paperwork...utility bills, bank statement, etc. They have to make sure that if you ran off with the ca and closed your bank account that they would be able to track you down (I have a friend who is an asst. mgr at an Enterprise and this is from him).

I have rented at Hertz with a debit card and they did a credit check and put a hold of a few hundred dollars on my account, but I rented at an airport and was flying out in a couple days so that might have made it easier.

Sounds like a good reason to get a credit card...for these types of situations. Most rental companies will let you charge the rental cost to your debit card when you return the car, they just want the CC for their protection.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
The Enterprise at the airport will not rent to you with a debit card unless you have a flight itinerary. Some of the non-airport locations will rent to you with a debit card but they require a lot of paperwork...utility bills, bank statement, etc. They have to make sure that if you ran off with the ca and closed your bank account that they would be able to track you down (I have a friend who is an asst. mgr at an Enterprise and this is from him).

I have rented at Hertz with a debit card and they did a credit check and put a hold of a few hundred dollars on my account, but I rented at an airport and was flying out in a couple days so that might have made it easier.

Sounds like a good reason to get a credit card...for these types of situations. Most rental companies will let you charge the rental cost to your debit card when you return the car, they just want the CC for their protection.

I think it's sheer laziness on the part of rental car companies. In order to get a bank-issued debit card, there is always a residency and credit check. That alone gives a rental car agency some form of protection. With some of the newer safeguards that large banks have put on their debit cards, there's no reason why someone can't rent a vehicle with one, especially if they take the optional LDW coverage or bring their own comprehensive policy coverage to show the front desk clerk.

A rental car can just as easily be stolen with a credit card. That argument just holds little to no water... With the amount of rental cars stolen every year, it's an agency's INSURANCE policy that is the real issue here.

Just thinking out loud here

BN

Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 PM

546 posts, read 1,500,064 times
Have you thought about taking funds and placing them on a prepaid credit card such as those you find at walmart or like a secure card that have the visa or MC logo? I know many rental car agencies will take a secure card credit card as credit and do not consider it a debit card. You may want to try that. You will of course have to have money on the card like 200 bucks and then rent the vehicle.

You might want to look into one from BOA, Woodforest bank, or Generations credit union. here is a link to BOAs secure card...as a plus it also helps reestablish your credit score.

Bank of America | Credit Cards | Secured Visa

Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Piggybacking on mrsb057's post is that Wells Fargo offers one as well that is converted to a regular credit card once you have a year of good history with the prepaid credit card. The money that is used for the secure credit card is then held in a savings account until the time comes.
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit_cards/secured/
On another note to rent a car for a length amount of time is going to be a pretty penny. Took the bus myself too as well during college and traveled to St. Philip's on the Eastside during the day of course. I felt safe during that time. Just gotta find your niche with the bus routes, see what is the easiest, fastest way. Sometimes the route planner says to take two buses when all you need to do is take 1 bus and walk two pediastrian friendly blocks so you have to use the route first and see how it goes.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 461 times
I have EXTENDED WARRANTY & BUMPER -BUMPER by CAR MFR with RENTAL + BEEN RENTING only from Enterprise until recently 3 x's now- it's been the worse experience. I decided to CONTROL my OWN money AFTER mortgage rep decided( w/o my o.k) to take a payment & I had submitted one also- which caused a Dominoe Reaction =NSF ! Am still paying, so I closed the ACCT, that doesn't mean I have NO Deposit nor cash ! I been renting cars from ENTERPRISE for over 30 years and now that i am a Sr. citizen-I am left to take the Bus?(thrown under more like it) The warranty assured me , and when i called again am told they cannot tell RENTAL CO. what to do? So,between ENTERPRISE & EXTENDED WARRANTIES=Bunch of BULL(Never again!) I asked them to STOP emailing me any info or offers,I will take my $$ someplace else. Go to the website, and read under payments! Lots of OPTIONS -NOT Offered to me by any one there, plus they will take your car even if INSURANCE Jackson Keller(Scammed the LIBERTY MUTUAL) & OFFICE off Culebra and NW loop 410-gave me NO Options, and when I had a Debit last summer I was told that they were closeing in 45 mins. and could NOT pick me up ? even tough I was across the HWY at EYE VIEW( raining)?office on FREDRICKSBURG picked me up, but could NOT take me home again they were closeing. Made me walk home? All I can says is ALL these Co. start good, and then forget how they got there, have NO Empathy what so ever - thanks alot ENTERPRISE, for opening my eyes after all these years-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio