Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 PM

98 posts, read 122,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
A. Hotel. With. A. Balcony.

How hard is that to understand? Many hotels these days aren't built with balconies in their rooms. The Holiday Inn in Downtown San Antonio has one. Possibly due to preservation of the style.

C'mon now, don't make this hard for me tonight. I cant explain all this while Im drinking my damn screwdriver, sheeesh!
Ok...you've answered yourself...hotels these days. The ONE hotel you mentioned wasn't built recently.

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 12-20-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 25,646 times
San Antonio is far from dying. It is one of the fastest growing cities. I don't think you are going to find a city where walking everywhere besides downtown is the norm. Austin will be more liberal than here, but they don't walk everywhere, it's Texas, we drive! The weather comments...there is not a place anywhere that has perfect weather for 365 days. I also don't know what the big deal with the military presence is, but since it is, I live in the North Central part of town and never see any military men or women. I think you should be able to tell from everyone else's post that we are very proud of our city and if you don't think you will like it here, the best bet is to move on and find somewhere else.

Please let us know if you do find that perfect city out there!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriley View Post
San Antonio is far from dying. It is one of the fastest growing cities. I don't think you are going to find a city where walking everywhere besides downtown is the norm. Austin will be more liberal than here, but they don't walk everywhere, it's Texas, we drive! The weather comments...there is not a place anywhere that has perfect weather for 365 days. I also don't know what the big deal with the military presence is, but since it is, I live in the North Central part of town and never see any military men or women. I think you should be able to tell from everyone else's post that we are very proud of our city and if you don't think you will like it here, the best bet is to move on and find somewhere else.

Please let us know if you do find that perfect city out there!
I live in the medical center area and see perhaps three medical people a month. It's a total non-issue.

Also, to the OP, I'm a RAGING liberal - bleeding heart and all - and I get along fine here. Yes, there most certainly are outspoken asshats with whom I vehemently disagree, but you know...to some conservatives, I'm the outspoken asshat. It isn't like the conservatives are forcing me (or anyone) to keep our mouths shut!

And, yes, when you find the perfect liberal city with the perfect weather with no military that is walkable all over, let me know. I'd love to hear about it. Or maybe I'd visit and stay in a hotel with a balcony.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM

448 posts, read 918,854 times
San Antonio is far from conservative. Our current mayor is a demo. The mayor prior to our current was also demo and he was in office for two terms. Currently, our conservative radio stations- KTSA, WOAI and KPWT are in the tank. There's more proof out there to prove SA is not conservative but those are the first things that popped into my head.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Honestly this city is what YOU make it. You will find all the amenities you find in most other cities (no light rail yet though). Where you live in this city is likely to affect where you shop, eat, attend school, etc. Try out different areas of the city. Each boasts its own style and attracts a variety of people. You will find that Westover Hills, Stone Oak, Alamo Heights, Kirby, Selma, Balcones Heights, King William, etc. may only be located a few miles apart, but each has its own personality. The "tourist" San Antonio is not the same city you will experience as a resident. Our lives are not centered around the Riverwalk or Alamo. We tend to stay away from places on all those brochures in the hotel lobby. The city is thriving and has consistently been ranked on of the top performing cities in recent years.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Remember to keep those answers in line with the TOS by focusing on aspects of the city and not insulting each other. Most answers above are doing that.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Sounds like Houston might be better for you?

Whatever city/state you decide to move to, you're going to eventually suffer the Texas attraction at some point down the line...everyone does. You're going to wonder how soon you can move back here!

P.S> Since weather is similar to SA, this may not work for you, but what about Austin? Seems to fit the bill, especially if you live near the downtown area.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Why don't you try the Washington, DC, area? If you're looking for an area that is walkable, this might be just the place. It's hard to find a totally walkable city anywhere in the southwest, where things are spread out. It seems like you're having lots of doubts about SA. So why don't you just pull the plug and move on (literally)?
Actually, Washington D.C. is a great place to run as well! As a matter of fact, if you start off walking at night, most likely you'll be running before long!!

If you get to downtown SA you would find it is a very "walkable," but the entire city as a whole is too large to be walkable or bikable. But what were you expecting? Move to San Marcos if you want a walkable downtown; but you'll also find that after ten minutes you've walked everywhere there was to walk!

I understand that SA is not for everyone, but I don't understand why anyone would live anywhere they don't like (unless they are in the military). But the one thing I did learn from 25 years of being in uniform, the most important part about anyplace is your attitude. Have a bad one, and most likely you will never enjoy being there. Keep an open mind and try to get out and do things, and most likely you'll find the better side of the city. You can't depend on anyone for your own happiness, that's your responsibility...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
I hope this doesn't come off offenseive,

Well, it kinda did. I suggest Austin...or like another poster said, San Fran or Seattle.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Nobody should have to convince the OP to move here. Either they will or they won't - either way...who cares???
I tried to rep ya but can't until I spread the love. Just wanted to say...AMEN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio