Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:53 PM

490 posts, read 1,090,532 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had a very expensive country club wedding. That said, her parents were kind enough to pay for it. It was great to have our friends and family there for a big party, but I would never trade one day and one party for months or years of debt service which will inevitably cause strain on your marriage. As great as it was, it is hard enough to remember the event today (and it has not been that long). I would hate for the reminder to be a monthly bill.

If you are hell bent on doing it, I would try and apply for a credit card for the expenses. I think the title loan idea above is a REALLY bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,739,244 times
OP my suggestion is to check out The Knot.com maybe they have ideas on financing your wedding instead of a city data thread.

In all honesty borrowing 5 k and like all others before me have said is a very bad idea. Whether you do a loan, title loan, credit card, in laws at the end of the day you have to repay it with interest.

The wedding is one day you will most likely rush through and the fact of the matter is you pay for everyone elses comfort. Marriage is hard work, don't start it with a debt that you may not be able to repay later on.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 PM

221 posts, read 559,656 times
Speaking from recent experience my fiance and I spent 30K on our wedding in May this is probably one of the BIGGEST mistakes I have made yeah sure the wedding was gorgeous elegant and fun...but not worth spending that much money....even 5-10K i think would be too much in the end....

star struck brides are vulnerable prey to the wedding places that do "upsell" you I spent $150 for a bustier(bra) and $50 to alter it....ridiculous but in the "moment" they ask you would you like the bra and you say sure then how about alterations....ok.....when the bill comes its $200 lets not mention the wedding dress I just had to have....now looking back its sitting in my closet....

from one bride to the next have a small affair with friends and family....you will thank yourself for it in the end...

my dream wedding now? a destination wedding with a small group of family and friends!!!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riosalex View Post
I am currently in the process of getting my wedding finances in order but I am far from reaching that goal. Can anyone advise me of where the best place would be to get a loan say about 5,000 dollars in San Antonio TX. I do not have anything as collateral also. I have attempted applications at Security Service Federal Credit Union and USAA. We do not want to risk getting a cash advance loan from one of the pawn places. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
As others' have stated please stay away from those Cash Advance Places. Your pay off term will last longer than most marriages.

If I can offer these suggestions: If you cannot afford the entire wedding ask for Sponsors. I had never heard of this until I married into a Mexican Family. Now it seems with every Wedding there are as many Sponsors's as Guests.

My Wife and I were married through a J.P. and it is nothing to be ashamed of. We could have cared less about a fancy wedding which we could have afforded. Use the money you would have spend for something more important like a down payment (partial) on your new home.

Here is a great example of someone who is waiting for a more "Formal" Church Wedding. My Step Son who is 27, makes 70k, just bought a new house before Thanksgiving, got married yesterday afternoon at the Bexar County Courthouse. With all of his expenses (New House, Alarm System, Utility Deposits, Furniture, etc) they have decided to have a more Formal but Simple Wedding late Summer of 2010 when it can be more easily affordable. They didn't even buy new Wedding Rings -They used their Engagement Rings.

As others have stated Debt is the Number one cause of Divorce. No one wants to see you get into a Finacial Bind and then face potential Marrige Problems. We have all seen this happen.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 AM

288 posts, read 923,248 times
Since you didn't really ask for opinions on whether or not you should have a certain style of wedding, lol, I was going to suggest SSFCU, but you said you already did that. They offer signature loans, which we sometimes use to buy machines we are turning around to sell. Anyhow, I would also suggest Marriage Island on the River Walk. They have different packages, and a few years ago it was rather inexpensive. Please don't do a potluck! The though of it grosses me out Not that I'll be attending your wedding (I don't think??) The San Antonio Firefighters Banquet Hall is really cheap, and you can bring in all of your homemade food, UGH, haha, your own alcohol, and you can have your ceremony and reception inside.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,521,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
GRUMP RESPONSE ALERT!

If you really need this $5k, I'd suggest a title loan (if you own a car).

What I really recommend is SAVING THAT MONEY and putting it into an investment or perhaps towards buying a home for the two of you. $5k may not make you rich, but it is a decent amount of cash money. I know for sure that Suze Orman has my back on this one

BN
I don't think Suze Orman would back a title loan. If something happens and they cant repay, they lose the vehicle. Then they are worse off.

My own advice is to pay for the wedding with what you have. Married 17 years. We had the elaborate wedding but paid in cash over the year of planning. Didn't incur any debt over it.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,348,862 times
Save your money is my best advice. You're only paying for everyone else's enjoyment, why not enjoy your moment yourself and use that money for something special for both of you?

Perhaps have a small little party and ivite friends/family, this way you spend less and still receive wedding gifts.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 AM

61,171 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Ok, guys – here we are writing our best advice and where is the OP? Is he reading it at all? Did he reply to us? One year ago he posted already question related to the wedding and now this? //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...o-tx-area.html
Was that not enough time to gather the money together?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ok, guys – here we are writing our best advice and where is the OP? Is he reading it at all?
perhaps this was not the advice the OP was looking for or expecting...

truth might hurt...but at least it's free!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ok, guys – here we are writing our best advice and where is the OP? Is he reading it at all? Did he reply to us? One year ago he posted already question related to the wedding and now this? //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...o-tx-area.html
Was that not enough time to gather the money together?

I tried to rep you but I gotta spread more around, apparently. Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio