Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,386,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
We've been over this many times before - San Antonio, for it's size is a financially poor city. If you don't think it is, clearly you haven't traveled very extensively.

There is absolutely no way San Antonio could support a Victory Park area with condos starting at $400k going all the way up to over $2 million. Not to mention all those expensive shops beneath it - San Antonio didn't even have an upscale shopping center (La Cantera) until 2005.

Let's not make assertions we know are clearly defy common sense.

Individual assertions about a city's economic infrastructure are not what determines whether or not a city will get certain things. Population demographics do - the reality is that San Antonio has been slow to attract a number of high-end establishments, which has not been the case for Dallas or Houston.

An example is Eurway, which added a second location in far north Dallas before they came to San Antonio. Eurway is also in Austin and Houston, but clearly determined that the demographics of San Antonio were such that it wouldn't be successful.

Look, I'm not trying to bash San Antonio, I'm just being realistic. I've said before, referring to San Antonio as a "major" city is kind of doing it an injustice - while it may appear to be a major city on paper, it really is not. Only time will tell whether or not San Antonio will attract more business growth and development and become a hub of regional economic significance.
You said it better than I could have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Do you people know how much the new condos on Broadway, above the Grand Hyatt and others around town are going for? Those condos aren't going pennies....
So to say San Antonio can't afford is b/s.
Could you post the prices?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 47,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter1869 View Post
My only concern would be that there are TOO many condos going up. In the hotel biz, most hotel operators are concerned with the massive amount of hotels under construction, or about to start construction. The Grand Hyatt will add 1003 rooms, the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort will add another 1000 in 2009, and once the Gaylord La Cantera finishes its renovation, that property has the potential to add 1500 rooms! This isn't including the limited service hotels, such as Holiday Inns, Staybridge Suites, etc.

Sorry for the rant...
Well for working in the Starwood Group, I can tell you there is no deal what so ever signed on the W hotel. Yes there is discussion going on but even the location isn't set in stone...
Those hotels are indeed very cool, very trendy and modern. I was concerned too knowing the laid back city that San Antonio is, but it could be a very successfull hotel... I stayed in many W hotels and I can tell you they are usually the place to be. Young weathly crowd....
If a deal is signed, the opening won't be until 2010 or 2011... It will give the city sometimes to get a little more trendy...

As far as the Gaylord la Cantera, well it is still the Westin La Cantera.... Deal was supposed to sign last week but Gaylord extended 90 days... in my opinion it doesn't look so pretty.... futhermore, Gaylord extension are only for a total of 1,000 rooms... ie addiing 500 rooms. And completion is for 2011 if the deal happens...

Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,557,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
The Broadway hasn't even broken ground yet - it's nothing but a crane. Furthermore, Dallas probably has 200 highrise condos with prices above $400k, and these are not only concentrated in Uptown, but also parts of north Dallas, and even up to Plano.

It's not as though San Antonio has demonstrated that it can support such residences.
Actually, the Broadway "broke ground" back in October. Usually the presence of a crane not only indicates that a property has broken ground, but that it is in the process of going vertical. With world-wide crane shortages being what they are, I seriously doubt a crane would be at the site unless the building was getting built, and the building would not be getting built unless there were sufficient interested clients.

As for your second point, Dallas doesn't even have 200 high-rises in the entire city, let alone 200 high-rise condos.

Weren't you saying something about "not making assertions"?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Actually, the Broadway "broke ground" back in October. Usually the presence of a crane not only indicates that a property has broken ground, but that it is in the process of going vertical. With world-wide crane shortages being what they are, I seriously doubt a crane would be at the site unless the building was getting built, and the building would not be getting built unless there were sufficient interested clients.

As for your second point, Dallas doesn't even have 200 high-rises in the entire city, let alone 200 high-rise condos.

It doesn't take many towers to have 200-highrise condos, and yes, Dallas does have over 200 highrises in the city: Dallas Buildings, Real Estate, Architecture, Skyscrapers and Construction Database

Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 PM

Ok, I stand corrected. I got my numbers from skyscraperpage, which showed 180-something high-rises yesterday but now suddenly shows 292. In any case, there's no way there's anywhere close to 200 high-rise residential buildings anywhere except Manhattan, and possibly Chicago.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM

But there are over 200 highrise condos. They can fit many condos in just one highrise building.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM

That's not how I interpreted the poster's comment.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 PM

74 posts, read 238,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtluis View Post
Well for working in the Starwood Group, I can tell you there is no deal what so ever signed on the W hotel. Yes there is discussion going on but even the location isn't set in stone...
Those hotels are indeed very cool, very trendy and modern. I was concerned too knowing the laid back city that San Antonio is, but it could be a very successfull hotel... I stayed in many W hotels and I can tell you they are usually the place to be. Young weathly crowd....
If a deal is signed, the opening won't be until 2010 or 2011... It will give the city sometimes to get a little more trendy...

As far as the Gaylord la Cantera, well it is still the Westin La Cantera.... Deal was supposed to sign last week but Gaylord extended 90 days... in my opinion it doesn't look so pretty.... futhermore, Gaylord extension are only for a total of 1,000 rooms... ie addiing 500 rooms. And completion is for 2011 if the deal happens...
I guess I got a little confused. I was hearing that they had the potential to expand to be a 2000 room property. Thanks for clearing that up. What's the hold-up with the transfer, and what doesn't look pretty? If it is like any of the other properties Gaylord owns, it will be pretty neat!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM

190 posts, read 217,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post

It may have broken ground, but there has been no active construction on that property since October. That's reality.

My definition of high-rise is what's found along the Turtle Creek area of Dallas, in addition to a number of shorter structures going up ALL over Uptown. I can assure you, there are most definitely atleast 200 mid-rise condominiums in Uptown, north Dallas, and the northern suburbs of Dallas with prices of atleast $400k.

Granted, not all of them are in the city boundaries of Dallas, but the trend here is that Dallas (and Houston and Austin, as witnessed by it's recent influx of high-rise, high-end real estate developments) has the economic infrastructure to support a number of such condos in a variety of locations. In any case, this particular discussion was about whether or not San Antonio could support a modern, trendy, and upscale hotel & residence establishment like the W.

The evidence I have provided indicates, atleast to me, that at this point in time it cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio