Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:43 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's will come soon enough...they still haven't cracked the Florida or Texas markets but I think that's more of a distribution/warehouse issue as opposed to anything else. They're slowly making their way through the Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta regions now and I fully expect them to enter Florida and start heading west again towards Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 04:13 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Trader Joe's will come soon enough...they still haven't cracked the Florida or Texas markets but I think that's more of a distribution/warehouse issue as opposed to anything else. They're slowly making their way through the Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta regions now and I fully expect them to enter Florida and start heading west again towards Texas.
Just got back from Vegas (and really missed reading the inputs, so getting caught up now) and my first TWO visits to Trader Joes! I have never been to one before, but after all the great things that I have heard on this sight, we went not once but TWICE during our 5 day visit to Vegas.

I GLADLY forked over the $25 overweight baggage fee that SW Airlines charged me for all the loot we hauled back from there, and I now understand why everyone LOVES this store!

Spoke to the manager, and he said that they have HUGE plans on expansion, about 500 stores in the "5 year plan" that they do annually, but he said that they also find that they are growing at such an alarming pace right now that their "5 yr plan" seems to get updated annually because of the wonderful success of the new stores opening. He mentioned that they had just opened one in Tucson (I think) and that they were floored by the success. The BIG hold up in our area (to hear him tell it) is the establishment of the distribution center...but he feels certain that Texas is hot on their radar screen and that if they could get a distribution center anchored in Texas/Oklahoma, that they would open quickly in the surrounding states.

He said that he feels "certain" that we will have one in SA in the next 5 years...I told him we are PRAYING for earlier!

I have to tell you that the majority of the folks shopping in the one that we went to were visitors hauling loot back to their home/friends/etc. LOTS of Hawaiians there enjoying the take. We are THRILLED with our first visit and have decided to take an extra suitcase anywhere we travel now that has a Trader Joe's just to stock up!

Old 05-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Owl

112 posts, read 555,881 times
YAY!!!

Thanks for the great information. You've given me hope! I feel like I should have one of those widow's walks, where the wife would go to watch for the sails of the ships coming home. I'll be up there waiting for the sail's of Trader Joe's. And...that's a great idea, taking an extra suitcase along!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Lucky me, I can get care packages from home (So Calif)....

I have to tell you though.... (and this will give my age away).... I shopped at the very first AND second ever Trader Joe's, when it was still "Pronto Market" and I'm not gonna say the year.....

They were the only two stores in existence and one of them rented space to a meat cutter, who sold truly wonderful fresh meats at a very reasonable price (Of course, everything seemed reasonable back then.....) One was on College Avenue in Covina Calif and the other was in West Covina, in a strip mall by the freeway... name of the road was probably Garvey Ave.....

I can even remember the manager's first name, "John", can't recall his last name, and the assistant manager was "Eddie Dominguez"....

I feel so special..... LOLOLOL.... and Old!!!! LOL....
look it up on their website history... you'll see.... I imagine John and Eddie have both retired by now.....

You can send me my due respects now.... ROFLOL....

Old 05-27-2007, 08:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
LOL-my mom just visited me last weekend from San Luis Obispo, and one of the "goodies" she brought for me was a jar of bread dipping stuff in all sorts of flavors--from Trader Joe's! She just raves about that place--supposedly they sell her absolute favorite dark chocolate there. Anyway, she is hoping we get one eventually, because she doesn't see how I manage without one! She should be their spokeswoman. But seriously, almost every phone conversation we have contains the words "Trader Joe's". She's a nut!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 PM

37 posts, read 152,684 times
The official word is no, they are not coming here. I spoke with their public affairs people a few weeks ago. That said, they may be coming and just are not prepared to announce it.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 PM

15 posts, read 71,086 times
I work for Trader Joe's Texas is a market that Trader Joe's would like to tap, however, we do not have the infrustructure i.e. warehousing, trucking to open in Texas. I unfortunately can not tell you how far down the list Texas is--but we will be there. As for the site you are referring to, north of 281/1604, what town is that?, I may be able to at least confirm, or deny, that they are looking in that area.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Lucky me, I can get care packages from home (So Calif)....

I have to tell you though.... (and this will give my age away).... I shopped at the very first AND second ever Trader Joe's, when it was still "Pronto Market" and I'm not gonna say the year.....

They were the only two stores in existence and one of them rented space to a meat cutter, who sold truly wonderful fresh meats at a very reasonable price (Of course, everything seemed reasonable back then.....) One was on College Avenue in Covina Calif and the other was in West Covina, in a strip mall by the freeway... name of the road was probably Garvey Ave.....

I can even remember the manager's first name, "John", can't recall his last name, and the assistant manager was "Eddie Dominguez"....

I feel so special..... LOLOLOL.... and Old!!!! LOL....
look it up on their website history... you'll see.... I imagine John and Eddie have both retired by now.....

You can send me my due respects now.... ROFLOL....
I lived off of N. Vincent Ave in West Covina from 1956-1965, but road a bike to school just past Garvey avenue. I can't recall a Pronto store. The only grocery store I remember was Market Basket.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwanket View Post
I work for Trader Joe's Texas is a market that Trader Joe's would like to tap, however, we do not have the infrustructure i.e. warehousing, trucking to open in Texas. I unfortunately can not tell you how far down the list Texas is--but we will be there. As for the site you are referring to, north of 281/1604, what town is that?, I may be able to at least confirm, or deny, that they are looking in that area.
Rich, it's still part of San Antonio but the suburb is Stone Oak.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 PM

199 posts, read 707,546 times
It's September now, does anybody have any new or solid evidence/info on Trader Joe's coming to SA? I found myself at the new Stone Oak shopping area a few weeks ago, and it looks like they will have some good shopping there. Nothing new, but at least it's there. I did get a catalog from J. Jill, they are opening in this new area, not exactly sure where or when, but very soon. (j. Jill is a women's clothing catalog & store)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio