Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I lived off of N. Vincent Ave in West Covina from 1956-1965, but road a bike to school just past Garvey avenue. I can't recall a Pronto store. The only grocery store I remember was Market Basket.
Wow, I just saw this and ironically, you and I just had a very recent and very amazing conversation about being NEIGHBORS all those many years ago....

The Pronto Market (later to be Trader Joe's) was (and I BELIEVE still is) at Citrus and Garvey.... I'm pretty sure it is Citrus....
I'll see if I can find out for sure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
One more thought to add to the list.....Whole Foods just bought Wild Oats.....now Whole Foods will own Sun Harvest which is off 281 just south of 1604. This could effect the status of any Traders Joes opening since they are very similar in the type of people they cater to. I love TJs and have shopped there for years but I think they will consider the hold that Whole Foods has in the area with the accquisition of Wild Oats and the fact that Whole Foods is based in Austin.

Just my two cents from the business side.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
One more thought to add to the list.....Whole Foods just bought Wild Oats.....now Whole Foods will own Sun Harvest which is off 281 just south of 1604. This could effect the status of any Traders Joes opening since they are very similar in the type of people they cater to. I love TJs and have shopped there for years but I think they will consider the hold that Whole Foods has in the area with the accquisition of Wild Oats and the fact that Whole Foods is based in Austin.

Just my two cents from the business side.
Yes, I see your point, but.... Whole Foods is also ALL OVER So Calif, but TJ's continues to do VERY brisk business.

TJ's really is quite unique and with wonderful prices. I've tried to think about how to describe the 'uniqueness' of it, but can't quite figure out how....
They do truly beat the you-know-what out of Whole Foods in prices, AND they get their hands on some very special & unique products, which they buy up by trainloads&more, and WE the customers get the Great BENEFITS!!

I know people frequently talk about a favorite place and say there's no comparison, but with TJ's, there truly isn't!!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
TJ's really is quite unique and with wonderful prices. I've tried to think about how to describe the 'uniqueness' of it, but can't quite figure out how....
I totally agree...TJs is great!!! I have shopped there for years. I just wanted to point out from the business side...since they are not a publicly traded company it is harder to find out where they are looking for further development.

I would be THRILLED to have a TJs.....hey..."one buck chuck"...can't beat it!!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
This bodes well for the eventual entrance of Trader Joe's into the Texas market. The southern division of the parent company runs the Aldi grocery chain in the United States, while the northern division manages Trader Joe's.

From the Denton Economic Development site...

"The Denton City Council voted Tuesday to offer more than $1.67 million in tax breaks to a German grocery company to attract what could be the city’s largest distribution center. An official with discount grocer Aldi Inc. said the vote meant the company would probably build its 500,000-square-foot distribution facility in Denton, despite offers from at least five other cities in North Texas and Oklahoma. “We haven’t closed on the piece of property yet, but for us this was a huge step,” said Scott Huska, vice president for Aldi’s Texas division. “We’re under contract working through the due-diligence phase.”"

Old 11-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
This bodes well for the eventual entrance of Trader Joe's into the Texas market. The southern division of the parent company runs the Aldi grocery chain in the United States, while the northern division manages Trader Joe's.
I could see Aldi being a very good fit for San Antonio, but the appeal and the niche is very different from Trader Joe's. It's a downscale narrow-selection supermarket with very low prices. At Aldi, the tradeoff is that you pay for bags (or bring your own) and bag your own groceries.

Aldi also has some infrequent hot deals on technology items, like computers and DVD players. They don't sell these items all the time, but when they do, the pricing and quality of the items is excellent.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 PM

27 posts, read 26,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I could see Aldi being a very good fit for San Antonio, but the appeal and the niche is very different from Trader Joe's. It's a downscale narrow-selection supermarket with very low prices. At Aldi, the tradeoff is that you pay for bags (or bring your own) and bag your own groceries.

Aldi also has some infrequent hot deals on technology items, like computers and DVD players. They don't sell these items all the time, but when they do, the pricing and quality of the items is excellent.
I moved here from Baltimore. We do not want an Aldi's in San Antonio. We had about 4 locations in the balto area and they and robberies, shooting, worse 1 a week at their stores. They cater to a much different client, once saw a customer threaten the clerk, if she didn't let him use his out of date WIC vouchers.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTeq View Post
I moved here from Baltimore. We do not want an Aldi's in San Antonio. We had about 4 locations in the balto area and they and robberies, shooting, worse 1 a week at their stores. They cater to a much different client, once saw a customer threaten the clerk, if she didn't let him use his out of date WIC vouchers.
Sounds like a NIMBY issue. I doubt that an Aldi would be located anywhere near a Trader Joe's.

IMO, shopping at Aldi would be a much better option for the folks who qualify for WIC vouchers than shopping at convenience stores and dollar stores. Unlike most of those places, Aldi has fresh produce.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,504 times
Default I know about Trader Joe's

Before I left my local Trader Joe's today (in Michigan), I asked for the number of the corporate offices to find out why San Antonio does not have a Trader Joe's. The associate totally stepped up & answered all my questions instead...I told him how popular the store was on this site & how perfect it would be down in Texas. He immediately knew about the interest but explained that because TJ's doesn't rely on other manufacturers to stock inventory (all brands are basically TJ brands from their own warehouses), they rely on distribution centers in California, Boston, Chicago & soon in Atlanta. The Chicago center serves the midwest (where I am located) and the Atlanta one should reach as far as New Orleans, but not Texas.
He said they never intended to grow beyond Cali - they like the small niche marketplace, which is why they also don't have online shopping - he said the in-store experience is so special, TJs values the expertise that their associates bring to the table. He said eventually TJs will work its way back west (and south) but he does not see it getting to Texas for at least 5 years.
That doesn't help us much, but at least now we know (unless the guy was feeding me a line!) It appears that no amount of begging & pleading will make them just throw down a TJs in San Antonio....they need to get the whole infrastructure in place & that will take some time.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Which is why I'm glad my otherhalf goes to WA every other month!! (Which reminds me!! I need to check the Fearless Flyer and email him a list, since he comes home Friday night!!) Doesn't help for 2 Buck Chuck and other liquids/cold things, but for yummy treats and such, it's a nice taste of home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio