Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM

233 posts, read 743,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
SA is as conservative as the OC, but probably LESS prejudiced. unfortunately, the mexicans in the OC basically just crossed the border or parents just crossed. you will find that a lot less mexicans over here and more assimilated mexican americans. for tex-mex, ANYTHING here beats what the OC offers. Z-Tejas is the only good "tex-mex" that I can think of in the OC, and even that is lame. you might try the typical tourist hangouts like rosario's, maybe la fogata, LaFonda on main, chuys. you will like the prices here and feel like you are dreaming. there are tons of tex-mex restaurants here, but sadly no baja fresh. texas is the anti- baja fresh capital of the world

the stone oak area/la canterra area is most like the OC
thats funny you mentioned that (bolded), even I stand out among mexican americans. I am a second generation mexican american. I was raised in a middle class suburb in OC. My family owns a million dollar home in a predominantly white neighborhood. I was raised christian not catholic. I went to a private christian school. I went to one of the better ranked universities in CA and I am currently getting my MBA. I am a libertarian/republican. i am against illegal immigration. I don't speak a word of spanish but have decent comprehension. I prefer to date non-hispanics as I have more in common with them then I do with most mexican girls.

It will be interesting to contrast once i get there, based on what you said.

I agree with your take on Z-Tejas. I went there (the one in south coast plaza) and wasn't impressed but nor did i think it was horrible either. That will probably change once I go to Texas.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
SA is as conservative as the OC
SA isn't even that conservative. It's in the middle.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
thats funny you mentioned that (bolded), even I stand out among mexican americans. I am a second generation mexican american. I was raised in a middle class suburb in OC. My family owns a million dollar home in a predominantly white neighborhood. I was raised christian not catholic. I went to a private christian school. I went to one of the better ranked universities in CA and I am currently getting my MBA. I am a libertarian/republican. i am against illegal immigration. I don't speak a word of spanish but have decent comprehension. I prefer to date non-hispanics as I have more in common with them then I do with most mexican girls.

I agree with your take on Z-Tejas. I went there (the one in south coast plaza) and wasn't impressed but nor did i think it was horrible either. That will probably change once I go to Texas.
SA is a wholly different story than other cities in texas. DFW is pretty downright prejudiced and will treat you like a "minority". Here in SA, mexican americans are THE MAJORITY. however, not so in north SA. Even still, the anglos to me seem to appreciate us and pretty much live and let live. I haven't felt like a downtrodden minority here at all, compared to so cal where we seem to get lumped in with all of the illegals. You'll absolutely love the frozen margs if you like those.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM

80 posts, read 164,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post

I don't think you have to worry about that. I am pretty sure the Mexican girls would'nt want to date someone as prejudiced as you anyway. I am 100% certain they rather date someone who can appreciate who they are, as opposed to looking at the color of their skin. Oh, certain I am, too, that they prefer dating someone who can, at the very least, know where did they come from and are not affraid and/or ashamed to show their true roots. I AM JUST SAYING...!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro9 View Post
I don't think you have to worry about that. I am pretty sure the Mexican girls would'nt want to date someone as prejudiced as you anyway. I am 100% certain they rather date someone who can appreciate who they are, as opposed to looking at the color of their skin. Oh, certain I am, too, that they prefer dating someone who can, at the very least, know where did they come from and are not affraid and/or ashamed to show their true roots. I AM JUST SAYING...!!!
The area that monkey comes from is overwhelmingly white! of course, he's bound to come in contact with more white girls/asians/persians than any others with a similar background and education. What I am saying is what I have experienced. Most of the mexicans in OC are either first or second generration, poor and clustered in several areas like sta ana, anaheim, costa mesa, slater slums. I do think that san antonians (so texas mexican americans) have a larger middle class than what there is over there. It is more likely that your manager at work would be a mexican american compared to over there.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Some posts above were deleted. It's fine to disagree, but it's against the TOS to insult other members, no matter how much you disagree with them.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Back on track, I think you'll find folks friendly in SA and nothing like OC. Enjoy your visit, and hopefully you'll want to come back!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-28-2009, 09:04 AM

337 posts, read 826,232 times
My husband grew up in OC and has lived here since he was 16. Seems to have gotten along just fine. Just mostly missed the beach and skate parks.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 AM

271 posts, read 785,210 times
I just wanted to make a suggestion for a restaurant in SA. It's in the Tower of Americas and it's called Chart House. The food is really good (but it's not TexMex), the waitstaff are awesome, although it is pricy. The restaurant has huge windows and the tower turns slowly so you get great views. Whenever I go to SA, I go there.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
More posts were deleted. See my explanation above. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio