Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 73,797 times

Advertisements

I just saw this on MSNBC, out of 25 largest cities in the country San Antonio was ranked with the HIGHEST crime rate in the US. We beat NY, LA, and Oakland. How can this be? I don't feel like it is. I feel safe. How do ya'll feel?
I found this on the web:

Last week, Mayor Bloomberg described New York City as the “safest big city in the nation” after the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports for the first half of 2009 showed New York with the lowest crime rate among the 25 largest U.S. cities, at 1,051 per 100,000 people. Los Angeles was second with 1,416 and San Antonio, Texas, was the highest, with 2,538, the mayor’s office said.

New York City Murders Set to Reach 46-Year Low, Kelly Reports - BusinessWeek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
I see so many different crime reports by different tv stations and print media. They are all always different. I dont put much stock into what any of them say.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 AM

667 posts, read 1,567,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCounty View Post
I just saw this on MSNBC, out of 25 largest cities in the country San Antonio was ranked with the HIGHEST crime rate in the US. We beat NY, LA, and Oakland. How can this be? I don't feel like it is. I feel safe. How do ya'll feel?
I found this on the web:

Last week, Mayor Bloomberg described New York City as the “safest big city in the nation” after the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports for the first half of 2009 showed New York with the lowest crime rate among the 25 largest U.S. cities, at 1,051 per 100,000 people. Los Angeles was second with 1,416 and San Antonio, Texas, was the highest, with 2,538, the mayor’s office said.

New York City Murders Set to Reach 46-Year Low, Kelly Reports - BusinessWeek
Your link doesn't mention San Antonio anywhere. Do you have a link to the article you saw on MSNBC?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times
This is complete BS. San Antonio's violent crime rate is HALF that of Dallas and Houston.

Here is a link to the story the OP mentions - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6970076.ece

Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 AM

San Antonio ranked 9th safest big city in this list:

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

22nd on this list:

Full List: America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com

8th on this list:

Honolulu among safest cities | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

San Antonio is consistently ranked among the safest big cities in the entire nation.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I found a report where SA was ranked #131. This is one reason why the FBI doesn't rank cities' crime levels (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/about/variables_affecting_crime.html - broken link)...in a nutshell, "these rankings lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents."

If you've traveled to other major cities within the US lately, you can make your own comparisons. I have and I still contend that on average, our crime rate is still low in this city...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 AM

According to CD's crime index San Antonio scored 513 (average from 1998-2008). Compare that to other large cities (lower number = lower crime rate):

Dallas - 778
Houston - 644
Orlando - 960
Detroit - 1044

The first 4 cities I chose to compare ALL have higher crime rates. It just goes to show you can't believe everything you read/hear (even if it's printed in an "elite" Yankee journal).

Last edited by tgannaway89; 12-29-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,044 times
Back in June when we were moving I was watching the news and it said that SA had the highest crime rate in Texas and was the murder capital in Texas. After living here and watching the news, a majority of the crime seem to be committed by youth who are misled and murders seem to be domestic related. When I think of random acts of violence and crimes I think SA is not up there as with other cities in the US.

Overall I rather raise my family in SA than in some other cities! I have lived in NYC long enough and let me tell you Bloomberg likes to sugar coat things. There is a lot of things that go on in NYC that would be considered crime but is not reported or better yet distorted to make Bloomberg look good.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
I disagree. I think that NYC is doing a d*mn fine job these days. It all started with Rudy G. and they certainly deserve more credit than they are getting here. NYC is much safer these days than in the past and I think a large part of that also goes to the excellent police force. Not much can be said about SA police force lately.....just look at the LEO posts in this forum....

Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Back in June when we were moving I was watching the news and it said that SA had the highest crime rate in Texas and was the murder capital in Texas.
And at the time, the police chief in SA said that the new ranking was due more to standardization and modernization in the way crimes are counted in SA than anything else.

San Antonio crime increase tops in Texas (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/San_Antonio_crime_increase_tops_in_Texas.html - broken link)

Here's a significant sentence from that article that refutes the importance of any ranking.

Quote:
But crime experts said the figures are notoriously slippery and should not be used to rank cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio