Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,998,490 times

Advertisements

This thread again? Sheeesh. I was going through it and saw several of my answers. I stick to those answers today.

Would love to see you complain about this in any other major urban area. Just because San Antonio is "smaller" doesn't mean people can't park their cars on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM

62 posts, read 110,401 times
Soviet, I HAVE lived in many, major urban areas. The far-west/northwest is really just a bunch of neighorhoods, it's not "urban". We are not talking about narrow, one-way, inner-city streets where nobody has garages. I'm saying in very nice subdivisions, outside the core, you have cars lined up and down every street... that IS different from any other place I've lived in. We have lived where you were allowed to park on one side, but never both. The interesting thing is, people rarely parked on the one side. We used our garages and own driveways. Not everyone enjoys looking out their front window to a line of cars.
Perhaps this thread got revived because new people do move here and are surprised by the parking situation. In my hometown neighborhood, it would be considered rude to park in front of someone's home on a daily basis.

Last edited by Cramowheat; 03-05-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM

500 posts, read 965,231 times
Well, reading through this thread, it's easy to determine those who park in their garage, and those who park everywhere else! I live in the country north of Bulverde, bit I really feel for those of you who have to live with neighbors who have 1.3 cars per person in the house!

I'm not by any means criticizing all of those who park cars in the street, just the ones who park MOST of their cars in the street. Give your neighbors a break.

And to those who ask "what's the big deal?" Get a clue. I'm sure it's covered here ad nauseum, but for starters, how's about child safety and property value?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,993,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
It's amazing how many cars parked on the street get flats.....
It's also amazing how many homes these days have security cameras and digital recorders. Bad idea.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,162,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post

And to those who ask "what's the big deal?" Get a clue. I'm sure it's covered here ad nauseum, but for starters property value?

Its a street, cars parked on the street isnt going to do anything to your property value. Now if these cars were not running and sitting in some ones yard, you may have an argument.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM

7,109 posts, read 11,765,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's also amazing how many homes these days have security cameras and digital recorders. Bad idea.
What idea <innocent look>? Actually, just musing out loud. Whenever I've had neighbors parking in front of my house, I just overlooked it.....it's just not that big a deal. Now, if they made a habit of it, then I'd have to park some of mine in front of theirs.....

Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,722,896 times
I am willing to bet most of the people that think it is ok to park out in the street in suburban areas (NOT urban) have one or more of the following issues:

1) Use their garage to keep excess belongings in.
2) Have way more cars than they need.
3) Throw parties and need parking space for all their buddies.
4) Live in a rent house where people are coming and going often.

I am having to deal with #3 and #4 with the people living across the street from me right now. I can't even tell who is really living in the house at times. They are the ONLY people on the entire street I live on that park their cars out by the curb while everyone else uses their driveway and garage. It is also the only rental property on the street as well.

I know there is no law against this but it is rude. It is just like letting your pet cat roam around in your neighbor's yard, walking on their cars, peeing in the bushes but saying anything about it instantly makes you an animal hater.

Whatever happened to being courtous to your neighbors? I know one thing for sure...renters are not courtous to their neighbors.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 AM

62 posts, read 110,401 times
We have 3 renters (AF medical officers and families) on the street and I have to say, to their credit, they park in the driveway and garage; they are very clean, quiet, good neighbors. It's actually 6-7 local owners who are causing the car lot appearance lately.
I will say that when my wife's cousin was trying to sell (which they did), one common comment that was given back was the amount of cars parked on the street being a safety concern.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,722,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
We have 3 renters (AF medical officers and families) on the street and I have to say, to their credit, they park in the driveway and garage; they are very clean, quiet, good neighbors. It's actually 6-7 local owners who are causing the car lot appearance lately.
I will say that when my wife's cousin was trying to sell (which they did), one common comment that was given back was the amount of cars parked on the street being a safety concern.
I guess it is the opposite for you then. Majority of my neighbors have been in the neighborhood for quite some time and are pretty easy to deal with. I wish I could say the same about the renters across from me.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM

993 posts, read 2,483,169 times
It's tragedy of the commons. An area that is meant for everyone to use is eventually taken over by someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio