Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM

317 posts, read 837,068 times

Advertisements

I would like to plan a 3 day trip to san anotnio at the end of next week(either Thursday-Sat, or Friday-Sunday). Of course, the question is: What do I do?

Somethings to consider:
- I will be going with my girlfiriend. We are in our late 20's.
- Weather in January.
- I want this to be a combination of busy, romantic, be visually stimulating.

Places I've read up on:
- Riverwalk
- Alamo
- San Fernando Cathedral
- Japanese tea garden (I"m assuming the weater ruins the plants)?
- Tower of Americas.

Then we need to talk about Restaurants (lunch and dinner).

What are your suggestions? Again, I personally want this to be kind of a busy trip with lots of things to do. Also, get some reccommendations on what to do at night. i,e what are there to see at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM

437 posts, read 898,647 times
It's a new location, but it should be the same food: Liberty Bar | Serious Food (http://www.liberty-bar.com/index_frameset.html - broken link)

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,075,610 times
A few thoughts about downtown, the Alamo is great to see but prob won't take very long. The Riverwalk is great for strolling but there are mostly restaurants there, most shopping would be in other spots around downtown. For lunch or snacks, avoid the touristy places (you'll know them when you see them), try some of the smaller places or hotel cafes. SCHILOS German cafe has homemade root beer, among other Old World favorites. You might consider a riverboat cruise, or even a diner cruise. It's a nice way to see all of the Riverwalk.

As far as restaurants, look in the SA forum for the LAST ONE YOU ATE AT and OPENING/CLOSING threads for lots of ideas, they may help you narrow down some choices. You can eat in the Tower (kind of pricey), or just visit the top deck.

The Sunken Gardens should be open, but it is better visited in warmer weather. Still a nice stroll either way, and the Zoo is right down the road, also AUGIES BBQ, which I'd recommend!

Hope you have a nice visit. I'm sure lots of folks here will have suggestions and links for you too!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM

874 posts, read 2,883,358 times
Is your hotel downtown? Will you have a rental car?

RE: Japanese Tea Gardens/Sunken Gardens - not as many flowers in bloom, but still pretty. There is a waterfall, it's a peaceful (usually) area, it's free, and there are some good photo ops. Having said that, however, this also probably won't take up a huge amount of time to visit - especially depending on the temperature since we have been in a bit of a cold snap. I'm not saying don't visit, just saying don't plan on spending a big chunk of time there.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times
This winter has been much colder than normal. I strongly recommend that you keep an eye on the forecast and pack based on that, rather than our estimates of what January is usually like here.

It's good that you're not coming this week, because this is the week that the San Antonio River will be drained next to the Riverwalk. Restaurants and attractions along the river are open, but there aren't any boat rides this week. The river is expected to be flowing again by January 12.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
the missions are beautiful. google them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio