Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that for persons of color, career choices seem limited? No, I am not talking lower positions like janitors, food workers, and help. I am not even talking mid level management. At the top, why are few minorities reprsented? This is the case at all SA companies, and it makes me think there is something more than just "who was most qualified".

Many companies say "Oh yes, we're diverse...but then you look and see all of the "diversity" is at the bottom. When you look at the Board of Directors, CEO/CFO/COO, and other executives, they are all white.

You're telling me in a city with as many Hispanics as SA they couldn't find a few qualified for these positions? Even in the cities' richest areas like Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, The Dominion, Shavano Park, etc...there is hardly any Latino/Hispanics or other persons of color.

Is that not interesting? Hmmmmm I think there's something up.

Last edited by trnmeon; 05-22-2007 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Whites are the minority in SA.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Just not in the cities' most prominent jobs.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
You said, "at the top, why are few minorities represented?" Whites are the minority in San Antonio, so they ARE represented.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM

You're not understanding the point I am making. If whites are a minority they shouldn't dominate the top level management the way they do.

If they are a minority, Hispanics should be mostly in these positions.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
You're telling me in a city with as many Hispanics as SA they couldn't find a few qualified for these positions? Even in the cities' richest areas like Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, The Dominion, Shavano Park, etc...there is hardly any Latino/Hispanics or other persons of color.

1st - Are you saying that companies should make an extra effort to find qualified candidates who are persons of color, as opposed to just searching for the most qualified? (I'm asking this sincerely, not sarcastically, trying to understand your point.)

2nd- The point about there being hardly any Latino/Hispanics or other person of color in the "cities' richest areas"; do you mean residents of those areas?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 PM

My point is that in a city that is this Hispanic, it makes absolutely no sense that nearly every company here is headed by all whites. Whether be "extra effort" or otherwise, I find it hard to believe the most qualified were all white.

Yeah, I meant the residents.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that for persons of color, career choices seem limited? No, I am not talking lower positions like janitors, food workers, and help. I am not even talking mid level management. At the top, why are few minorities reprsented? This is the case at all SA companies, and it makes me think there is something more than just "who was most qualified".

Many companies say "Oh yes, we're diverse...but then you look and see all of the "diversity" is at the bottom. When you look at the Board of Directors, CEO/CFO/COO, and other executives, they are all white.

Well maybe the rest need to get their fingers out and start climbing the ladder

Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 PM

73 posts, read 403,227 times
Quote:

Sooo....what do you think is up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio