Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM

615 posts, read 1,516,861 times

Advertisements

Well, we got the date. April 5th! Looks like the planning goes into action now! We're so scared/anxious about the move... we've never moved cross country like this, let alone never even visiting Texas before. But, you only live once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 AM

437 posts, read 898,713 times
April is a very nice month in San Antonio; you'll be here in time for Fiesta!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM

123 posts, read 449,310 times
Welcome to SA. We moved here about 21 months ago and love it. I grew up in Ohio, we spent 10 years in Dallas after I married, then moved to Kansas City for almost 4 years, and we couldn't wait to get back. While we loved Dallas, I love San Antonio even more. I don't speak a lick of Spanish and don't recall a moment that it was ever a problem. Have you found housing yet?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM

221 posts, read 559,656 times
the spanish question is hilarious my husband is mexican-american lived here all his life and doesnt know a bit of spanish....because quite frankly it isn't needed to survive here...

Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyg View Post
Welcome to SA. We moved here about 21 months ago and love it. I grew up in Ohio, we spent 10 years in Dallas after I married, then moved to Kansas City for almost 4 years, and we couldn't wait to get back. While we loved Dallas, I love San Antonio even more. I don't speak a lick of Spanish and don't recall a moment that it was ever a problem. Have you found housing yet?
We've found a few houses we like, but I wont have any time to fly down early. We'll need to find a house in a week and negotiate an immediate move-in.

There's a lot of different options out there so being picky isn't as bad as it is out east.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 AM

17 posts, read 57,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
April is a very nice month in San Antonio; you'll be here in time for Fiesta!
Verio, when you get to SA, try to participate in Fiesta. Go to one of the parades, NIOSA, or something. It will give you a real good quick feel for the fun you'll have living in SA. I lived there from 1996 to 2001 and loved every minute of it. Fiesta is a blast!!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM

123 posts, read 449,310 times
Have you decided on a specific part of town? If you don't mind me asking, what is your price range?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyg View Post
Have you decided on a specific part of town? If you don't mind me asking, what is your price range?
Looking for anywhere within a 20-30 minute commute of the SA Airport. Not looking to pay more than 1300-1400/mo.

Preferably 4 bedrooms, 2 baths with a garage.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM

454 posts, read 685,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
This is sound advice. My wife is so distraught over the whole matter, that she mentioned staying here in Boston for a few more weeks after I move, while I live out of a hotel room and look for a house. Perhaps I can find a month - month Apartment.

You're going to move from Boston to San Antonio?

First off...dont be surprised if you grow to hate it. I went to Boston for 7 days last year, around Copley/Theater district and over towards the Beacon Hill areas.

This San Antonio place...is not just laid back, but the people are just downright closed minded and ignorant. Me and my 2 friends talk about how we hate this place so much.

I dont understand what people like so much about this place. There's NOTHING that San Antonio offers that cant be found elsewhere...I tried so hard to like this place, but there's just nothing to offer. Yes...cost of living is dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for. The reason why its so cheap here is because there's no reason to cost more.

Boston....well I would rather had picked living there than here, and now Im living to regret it. Trying to make the best of this, but its wearing me down.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:53 PM

454 posts, read 685,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Well, we got the date. April 5th! Looks like the planning goes into action now! We're so scared/anxious about the move... we've never moved cross country like this, let alone never even visiting Texas before. But, you only live once.
Congratulations....but I dont mean to dampen your mood, but I'd think you want to visit atleast once. If you've never been to Texas, let alone San Antonio...you may be in for a BIG culture shock.

And the only way to get out of this state is by plane...Not like in New England where you can get from Boston, to Providence, and New York in a couple of hours.

Please....think about it before you move. Just, wait a bit and really think about what you're doing. I just wouldn't want you making the same mistake that I did. Because once you're here, you cant leave right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio