Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrunner View Post
Consider the alternative: Another big asphalt footprint right on top of the recharge zone with no green initiatives in place.

Development and growth will occur and its a healthy sign for our community. At least the proper mindset is beginning to take hold that "green" can equal profitable business. Hurray for H.E.B.!
Another giant asphalt footprint on the recharge zone is not healthy for our aquifer. It doesn't matter how many GREEN backs it generates. Those greenbacks will grow wings when the aquifer is spoiled and there is no more clean drinking water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:55 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
What if we go back to grass or gravel parking lots? That would allow water to go back into the acquifer. (Of course, so would oil, antifreeze, some gasoline, leftover soda spilling from the tossed Whataburger styrofoam cup, etc.)

--Dim

Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM

27 posts, read 117,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Another giant asphalt footprint on the recharge zone is not healthy for our aquifer. It doesn't matter how many GREEN backs it generates. Those greenbacks will grow wings when the aquifer is spoiled and there is no more clean drinking water.
Yes, which is why it is important to ensure initiatives such as this occur. A healthy balance can and should be made between environmental concerns and commercial enterprise. The number of GREEN backs it generates will dictate the level of effort towards green.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Gag me with Al Gore... Now you've got me started on the 'green movement' and it's INSANE amount of BS.

Consider if you will:

*Recycling has already proven to be useless, using more energy than it conserves and causing more actual waste than it saves.

*Al Gore, mother-maven of earthies everywhere, lives in a home that consumes more energy in a week than whole neighborhoods put together. In addition, his G5 private jet is the most polluting aircraft of its kind on the market today. He seemingly makes up for this by purchasing carbon-credits to offset the smog, but what he doesn't say openly is that the carbon-credit company is owned by him. Nice racket, eh?

*Ethanol is a dead technology. Costs more to produce than we save.

The list goes on. If HEB really wanted to save the world, they would simply stop the over-expansion and focus on going into already built locations (ie, downtown). This would actually do the city some real good, use existing architechture and cut down on the smog, noise and traffic pollution that plagues Stone Oak.

... And that's my rant for the day. Say goodnight Gracie

BN

Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM

251 posts, read 710,541 times
Quote:
*Recycling has already proven to be useless, using more energy than it conserves and causing more actual waste than it saves.
Where did you get that information from?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
Where did you get that information from?
It depends on what you are recycling. Metals are easily and cheaply recycled. Paper and plastics are more difficult and expensive to be recycled as they are more difficult to sort. Paper must be bleached before it can become paper again and typically it becomes a lower grade paper.

That being said, recycling is not as bad as the above poster makes it out to be as technology is advancing. SA now has single stream recycling which does most of the recycling and the new big bins makes it cheaper to recycle goods than to landfill them.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 AM

734 posts, read 3,016,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2begreen View Post
Exciting news for SA!
Some of us share the need to protect the environment.
I hear some of us don't, but that just makes the world go round.
I just returned from a contractor's meeting with HEB at the upcoming 281 Center. It has built in recycling, green lighting, windtricity and more!
And in return, will probably have the highest prices of any of the other HEB stores in town.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:50 AM

266 posts, read 706,623 times
im with Ben. you can make these people happy. you could build it out of sticks and twine and they ***** about something. 90% of all that crap is just emotional bs. i have yet to see one of there ideas actually work, but no one points that out. I think history will judge ole al gore as the biggest moron of our time.

Anyway HEB is a great store, one of the finest i have ever seen. im glad they are at least trying to do what they can.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 PM

188 posts, read 616,258 times
I saw a sign today counting down to the grand opening of the HEB Plus on 281 and Evans (Stone Ridge). Not sure about any other stores there, but the HEB said Oct 29 for an opening date.

I've never been in an HEB Plus - excited to see what it's like!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 AM

734 posts, read 3,016,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzillajen View Post
I saw a sign today counting down to the grand opening of the HEB Plus on 281 and Evans (Stone Ridge). Not sure about any other stores there, but the HEB said Oct 29 for an opening date.

I've never been in an HEB Plus - excited to see what it's like!
You beat me to it I saw that sign yesterday as well. I also noticed that the billboard added Luciano to the list of places (unless that has always been there and I didn't notice!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio