Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Growing up in SA, I remember many of the Drive In's on that list being advertised either on TV or in the SA Light or SA Express/The News , but I only made it to a few of them as a kid. Mom and Dad took us to see Clint Eastwood's "The Eiger Sanction" movie at the Bandera Rd Drive In. Also remember seeing a Pink Panther movie at the Fred. Rd Drive In along with some other movies, whose names escape me now, at the San Pedro and Valley Hi Drive In's. After high school, most of them were closing down or gone so I wasn't able to really check out more of them.

I do enjoy reading everyone's stories and memories though!
The Bandera Road and Valley Hi were built by the same people. The Bandera Road was one of the best equipped, and laid out drive ins. It's screen was made of aluminum, and didn't have to be painted. The silver screen made for a brighter picture. The screen was incorporated into a building that was used for storage. Unfortunately the screen tower caught fire in the early 70s. The aluminum screen actually melted from the heat! What was left was razed, and an inexpensive D&D screen was built in it's place.

The Valley Hi was SA's newest drive in until the Judson 4 was built. Disney pictures did very well at the Valley Hi. There were lots of families with children in that area at the time. One unique feature of the Valley Hi was it's marquee. It was black, and used white letters to spell out what was playing! The Valley Hi was the only drive in that didn't have one way tire treadles at the exit. Needless to say, sneaking in the exit was a big problem there!

The Fred. Road was the first San Antonio Drive In. In fact when it was built, it was just called "Drive In Theatre". It was Christened the "Fredericksburg Road Drive In" after the second drive in, the Alamo was built. The Fred. Road (as it was usually called) was built in 1940. The in car speaker came out after World War II. Most drive ins of the time just had a big horn speaker at the screen. This made it a nuisance to neighbors of the theatre, and there would be a delay in the sound for people on the back ramps. One of the owners of the Fred. Road (Mr. Claude Ezell) developed a system where speakers were under grates in the lot. The sound came up from the floorboard of the car! It was better than one horn speaker, but had it's problems, too. The second drive in, the Alamo had the single horn, and the third drive in; the Trail was the first to have in car speakers. The Fred. Road and Alamo were retrofitted with them soon after.

Although this was WAY before my time, I am lucky to have met and befriended so many old showmen, and drive in pioneers before they died. The memory of them and their theatres live on in my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM

224 posts, read 689,184 times
There is a drive-in in Gatesville, Texas. About a 3 hour drive from here, maybe more... It is $10 per vehicle, and you get to see two movies. They have a concession stand and put put golf. We used to go all the time when we lived at Fort Hood. I believe Killeen, Texas has a couple of drive-ins too, but Gatesville is better. Huge screen, plenty of parking. Alcoholic beverages are allowed also. Anyway, for those of you who wouldn't mind the drive or are headed that way, check it out. here is more info:

http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/txtlast

Last edited by suemandy23; 04-14-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 62,258 times
Drive in Movies! I'm so excited! We've only been to one before, up in Maine. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:56 PM

I am going up to Dallas on June 14 to pick up my grandson, and bring him to San Antonio for a while. We're going to stop in Ennis and check out the Galaxy Drive in. He will see his first drive in movie then! He wasn't around when I was working the San Antonio drive ins.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM

87 posts, read 330,473 times
Does anyone have info about the closed one-screen in Stockdale? I near about wrecked my truck when I just happened to turn my head at just the right time to see the tiny marquee and screen. How did I not know this place was ever there?? I've been driving to Shiner ever since Mission closed.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Texas Highways magazine just did an article on drive-ins in Texas - can't remember if it was this month or last month. Not sure if the article is available on their website, but might be worth a look for those interested in drive-ins.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
What year did the Judson drive in close? anyone remember?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,337 times
Need to know where was the Fiesta Drive was located, we are having a family discussion, every body seem to remember it at different locations. help. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savantcenter View Post
Need to know where was the Fiesta Drive was located, we are having a family discussion, every body seem to remember it at different locations. help. Thanks.
I have a 1958 directory that lists a Fiesta Drive-in Theatre at 5545 W. Commerce.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM

The Fiesta was on the corner of Commerce and General McMullen. They tore it down in 1970 to build a Woolco. It was kind of between the Capitan and the Varsity Drive Ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio