Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
lcw lcw started this thread

118 posts, read 669,449 times

Advertisements

Alarms blaring for major flood

Five-day rainfall forecast issued Friday afternoon by the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center.

Flooding alert graphic from the New Braunfels NWS office; click here for full-size version.

With a stationary front to the northwest, an upper-level storm system approaching slowly, and lots of tropical moisture, we are set for a potential major flood, similar to October 1998 and July 2002. Forecasters did not begin to see this potential until late Thursday. Before then, it was just going to be scattered showers, not much worse than what we had nearly a week ago.

The rain Thursday night into Friday morning was just an appetizer, enough to cause a short period of major flooding on the Pedernales River. In western Val Verde County, the Devils River had moderate flooding. The Guadalupe River briefly had moderate flooding at Hunt, then minor flooding downstream. For more details, see the forecast from the West Gulf River Forecast Center.

According to preliminary storm reports, flash flooding occurred in or near Killeen, Fort Worth, Junction, Alice, Edcouch, Elsa, Edinburg, Santa Rosa, Harlingen, San Benito, San Perlita, Raymondville, Kerrville, Del Rio, Bandera, Fredericksburg, Rocksprings, Ingram, Medina, Llano and Round Rock.

As of Friday afternoon, San Antonio International Airport had recorded 1.17 inches for the day, 2.39 for the month and 18.65 for the year. Following are a few NWS volunteer observers’ reports of rainfall for a 24-hour period ending at 7 a.m. Friday: 3.53 in Dallas, 4.15 at Fort Hood, 2.77 at Rio Grande Valley International Airport, 2.91 in Raymondville, 1.23 in the Bulverde area, 5.03 at Fredericksburg, 4.08 near Del Rio, 2.20 near Carizzo Springs, 2.14 near Pearsall, 2.01 at Laredo’s Columbia Bridge, and 4.54 at the Cotulla airport. Radar estimated 8 inches in the Fredericksburg and Kerrville areas.

The disturbance that affected us Friday morning was causing rain over North Texas in the evening, as well as a line of storms that had moved out into the Gulf. South Texas was enjoying a reprieve, but another thunderstorm complex was expected Saturday morning. Forecasters expect more rain off and on through Tuesday.

Most of South and South Central Texas have flash flood watches through Saturday evening, and I expect them to be extended. The New Braunfels forecasters expected 2-4 inches in general and up to 10 inches possible, just through Saturday. As shown in the image above, they expect 5-10 inches average over 5 days, and 20 inches in a few spots.

The image above is a “Graphicast” and this is the first time I have seen the New Braunfels office do one. Some other NWS offices do them either on a daily basis or whenever there is hazardous weather expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
The flood in '98 was horrendous, and the one in '02 was almost as bad. I hope and pray that it doesn't happen again.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Remember folks, if water is at the halfway mark on your hub caps, don't drive in it.

Most deaths are from people thinking their macho cars can handle the water. Nope. Water against car doors is stronger than steel--u won't be able to open your doors..and if the car's electrical system shuts down, you won't be able to open your windows (unless u have manual locks --another reason why automatic windows are a bad idea).

Old 05-26-2007, 06:17 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Seems to me that rain is a feast or famine thing here in SA.. Last year was an awful famine and so far this year has been an amazing feast. It sucks that my cars are spending more time dirty than clean, but it's nice to have not watered the lawn since last fall..

one of those glass breaking hammers is a good thing to have in the car and that reminds me (again) that I really need to buy a few of those.. even though I tend to be much smarter than the average bear when it comes to knowing when to not drive through something..

Old 05-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Seems to me that rain is a feast or famine thing here in SA.. Last year was an awful famine and so far this year has been an amazing feast. It sucks that my cars are spending more time dirty than clean, but it's nice to have not watered the lawn since last fall..

one of those glass breaking hammers is a good thing to have in the car and that reminds me (again) that I really need to buy a few of those.. even though I tend to be much smarter than the average bear when it comes to knowing when to not drive through something..
I always carry a small tool bag with the basic supplies needed for jumpstarting a car, instant flat tire fixer, etc. I've never had to use the bag yet, but I've used it on other people who were stranded in remote places.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 PM

217 posts, read 670,718 times
Did the flood end up happening? I'm not in SA at the moment. Hope you all stay safe.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:00 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Luckily it looks like they were wrong, again...

the weather guessers here usually get the current conditions right, but can't forecast more than two minutes out.. then again I've been driving on Highway 90 through rain so hard I could barely see while the weather guy on the radio was talking about how sunny the day was going to be..

Old 05-26-2007, 06:55 PM

OK, it's pouring over here on the NW side. And the Spurs are up 19-13! It's gonna be a great night!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Well, the rain is gone, and so is our lead.

Oh well, I figured we'd drop one in Utah and then wrap it up here at home!

Spurs in 5!! Go Spurs Go!!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
OK, it's pouring over here on the NW side. And the Spurs are up 19-13! It's gonna be a great night!
I was wondering why it was so quiet at HEB today....

Sorry not a basketball fan...just moved here, maybe it hasn't sunk in yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio