Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times

Advertisements

really, if the local government stops the building, all it will do is hurt the builders bottom line in the long run. the wall that fell was holding up uncompacted soil. the place where they are continuing to build is limestone.

i believe these home owners should get their own appraisers, reevaluate the homes worth and be given the difference in cash by pulte. if i were a conservative judge, i would find that fair. if i were a home owner in rivermist i would still want them to buy it back, but the compensation would make the drop in value easier to handle. that is the capatilistic way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I agree, this is a matter between the homeowners and the builder; the only government involvement should be the judiciary system where the case is heard…

Cheers! M²

Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM

410 posts, read 1,676,142 times
..and I am sure if you were one of the homeowners you would feel the same way, right?
Let me reiterate, P/C was supposed to have a permit to build the wall (cities responsibility) they did not and continued to build.
They trespassed on people's property and w/o permission did work that made a bad situation worse- (law enforcement on that one)
Do you think it would have been between builder and homeowner had those houses tumbled?
City protecting builder in my opinion. This should have been a no brainer, but this is Texas, land of a "law free zone' when it comes to the HBI.
New houses are being built in THAT subdivision. Where else would you have houses sliding down a hill and a builder continuing to build- No where but Texas!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM

276 posts, read 970,125 times
BIG NEWS!!!

Rivermist homeowners to get buyback offer
(http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/Centex_makes_buyback_offer.html - broken link)

Centex Homes will offer to buy back 27 homes in a Northwest Side neighborhood and plans to spend $4 million to $5 million to rebuild a massive retaining wall that collapsed Jan. 24.

The buyback offers are being extended to owners of the homes in Rivermist and The Hills of Rivermist where certificates of occupancy were revoked after ground cracked and shifted. Those homeowners have been living in hotels, apartments and rental homes for more than six weeks with limited access to their property, and were facing the prospect of living away from home for an extended time.

More... (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/Centex_makes_buyback_offer.html - broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Well good for Pulte.....This is gonna cost them 8-10million plus the 4-5million to fix the wall. Guess their attorneys did the math and figured by the time it was all said and done, a buyback won't be near as expensive as litigation....

Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
They probably also realized that either way they act as a company this case is the sort of material that will make national news and probably textbooks on corporate ethics for years to come. They can either look good like Tylenol did long ago, or be the villain.

Hope they're able to salvage some of the materials and whatnot before the bulldozers arrive. The re-house places would probably enjoy having the almost new windows, doors, cabinets and fixtures.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 AM

I agree with SR Liebowitz. Those homeowners better know what they are signing and almost assuredly the buyback papers will have a shut-up clause it.
But am I reading correctly P/C are not demolishing the houses? They will be fixed and a new retaining wall will be built. Wonder if a disclosure will be given to new homeowners?
I do not believe this is over by any means.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:32 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Some of those houses should be bulldozed now. They're not structurally sound.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Pulte stock fell-gee, wonder why?
Homeowners that were below the mass of bad houses have problems too.
Cracks, foundations starting to go bad, etc.
What will the city answer to SR Leibotwitz?
They just turned their heads on all this.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default No way,

It will not cost 5-6 million to fix the wall , where on arth did you get that information. It would not have cost that much to develop the entire site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Well good for Pulte.....This is gonna cost them 8-10million plus the 4-5million to fix the wall. Guess their attorneys did the math and figured by the time it was all said and done, a buyback won't be near as expensive as litigation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio