Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,977,864 times

Advertisements

I think we should make our own version of pizza... San Antonio Style Pizza.

Mexican cheese, frijoles, taco meat, cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole, onions, would be the toppings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 AM

56 posts, read 105,826 times
Default NY Pizza

Hands down; without a doubt; Florio's takes it. Great NY Pizza. Right off Broadway, closed Sunday's and Mondays, fyi..

Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM

26 posts, read 58,499 times
Clarification: NY Pizza by Hu-Hot is in the same strip mall place as Hu-Hot but it's at the other end, next to Einstein's Bagels. It's a tiny place, been open for only 2 months at this location.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM

206 posts, read 463,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I think we should make our own version of pizza... San Antonio Style Pizza.

Mexican cheese, frijoles, taco meat, cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole, onions, would be the toppings
I'm so going to try that. It's gonna be awesome. Gotta find a rec. for pizza crust...
Man, I'm starving!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,217 times
When I have been to NYC there have been two types of pizza I like-either ones sold by the whole pie only, preferably in a coal fired oven - or the ones that are also available by the slice cooked in stacked/brick ovens. (Patsy's Grimaldi's in Harlem is the only exception I found this last summer that had a coal oven AND slices.)

Grimaldi's is the best/ONLY coal oven Pizza in San Antonio. They sell their pizza's by the whole pie only. They do a nice job on calzones as well. There is a location at La Cantera Mall. The manager there said there are plans to open another one up at the Quarry sometime soon, but didn't give a time frame. Grimaldi's also is the only pizza place in SA that has the right kind of pepperoni-it is smaller in diameter but a thicker cut and spicier pepperoni that forms a little cup when it browns. They also offer fresh basil to put on after the pizza is cooked so you can tear it up and have some on each bite of pizza-as many authentic coal oven pizza places do in NYC. Grimaldi's is definitely my number one choice for pizza here in SA.

For what you would find as a pizza available by the slice try Luciano's on Stone Oak, or Naples on the corner of NW Military and Heubner. I don't typically get slice there, but rather order the whole pizza and request that they cook it more (they call it "crispy") so it has a little bit of char on it. I also order extra sauce and cheese because-hey if I'm going there for the greasy drippy pepperoni pizza - might as well go for broke. Before Grimaldi's opened I usually went to Naples, and when I asked they would give me fresh basil to put on my pizza when it came out.

Last edited by mcl; 02-23-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,813,036 times
Say what you want, but Grimaldi's is NOT classic NYC-style pizza. It's far too charred to be considered classic... They take their cues from the originator of well done pizzas (also known as doing it Coney Island Style), Totonnos.

Don't get me wrong: Grim's is good stuff. They make a nice pie. I find it a little overpriced for what it is, but I've always enjoyed my experiences there.

Florio's has great pizza (in true New York tradition) and it's just got moxie from the second you walk into the place. The woman who's husband runs it is a doll and we kvetch over all of the classic joints in Manhattan when I go in for an order. They're TRUE New Yorkers, work hard and the place is a madhouse of movement. Don't expect Texas friendly from them, but what you will get is authentic pie.

Lots of places for home-grown pizza in town, but most of them are entirely too focused on cutesy toppings and not on the base of what makes a slice great: Fresh dough, the right water (used in the dough), perfectly ripe tomato sauce and good cheese. You can seriously screw up pizza by not paying attention to the simple things.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

BN

Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM

796 posts, read 1,839,315 times
Thanks for all the recs!!! The pizza along the lines of what Florio's or Luciano's offers is exactly what I am looking for...but I will try all the other recs too...can't wait!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,220 times
I am good friends with the Florio's, bar none Florio's is the best pizza in SA.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,964,223 times
I need to get over there and try them. I keep hearing about them lately.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM

915 posts, read 1,900,333 times
Grimaldi's, Totonno's, and Lombardi's are classic NY pizza. The rest are slice joints serving fold-a-pie fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio