Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM

72 posts, read 164,329 times

Advertisements

What can anyone tell me about Uptmore home builders? With all of the Pulte/Centex craziness going on, we are having a hard time deciding on home builders! We came across the community of Harvest Hills in Marion, Texas and as much as I want to find dirt on them, I can't!

We've called the community and so far there are only 40 families moved in and they only plan on building 400 homes total. It looks like a great community with wide open spaces, but I guess we won’t know until we go back in a couple of weeks and check them out.

Thanks!

Alma
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:18 PM

475 posts, read 1,089,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almitainCO View Post
What can anyone tell me about Uptmore home builders? With all of the Pulte/Centex craziness going on, we are having a hard time deciding on home builders! We came across the community of Harvest Hills in Marion, Texas and as much as I want to find dirt on them, I can't!

We've called the community and so far there are only 40 families moved in and they only plan on building 400 homes total. It looks like a great community with wide open spaces, but I guess we won’t know until we go back in a couple of weeks and check them out.

Thanks!

Alma
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Looks like a custom builder so the quality level should be better. However, whether you buy a $100K home or $1M home, you should have a 3rd party inspection before you close on the house. Preferably, you should have an inspection before foundation pour, before drywall, and before close.

Also, remember that in some subdivisions, the master developer who put in the infrastructure and platted the lots may be different from the home builder who purchases the lot from the developer, and then sells you the lot with a home on it.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Looks like a custom builder so the quality level should be better. However, whether you buy a $100K home or $1M home, you should have a 3rd party inspection before you close on the house. Preferably, you should have an inspection before foundation pour, before drywall, and before close.

Also, remember that in some subdivisions, the master developer who put in the infrastructure and platted the lots may be different from the home builder who purchases the lot from the developer, and then sells you the lot with a home on it.
Wonderful information! Thank you so much!!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,570,722 times
We actually looked at those when we were looking at homes in the area this summer (out of our price range). It looked like an amazing little area.

We didn't get very far in the process since they were out of our price range, but we were concerned about the flooding in the area. It looked like it was a huge plot of old ranch/farm land that the builder bought and with it so flat out there and the roads not so super upgraded that far out (it's between Santa Clara and Weil road past all the big master planned communities right off of Weil Road for anyone that doesn't know the area)

I would be a bit concerned about the roads flooding even with 3-4 inches of a downpour. Marion has been known to flood (I think it was 2006 the last time it flooded badly). I think I mentioned that we looked at a house in the Deer Creek area (just south of this area) and it backed right up to a flood plain. It was a main reason why we didn't put in an offer for it. Just look to see if this area is in a flood plain and if this is a deal breaker for you.

Otherwise this is probably a great little neighborhood. I think the salesperson even said that the building by the pool was historic. And the names of the streets were adorable. How about me moving into a street named Ashley Way? That would be a tad funny.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM

229 posts, read 669,440 times
My dad has worked for Uptmore Custom Homes for many years and has spent the past few years on the Harvest Hills development, I'll try to get some info from him on that project.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
We actually looked at those when we were looking at homes in the area this summer (out of our price range). It looked like an amazing little area.

We didn't get very far in the process since they were out of our price range, but we were concerned about the flooding in the area. It looked like it was a huge plot of old ranch/farm land that the builder bought and with it so flat out there and the roads not so super upgraded that far out (it's between Santa Clara and Weil road past all the big master planned communities right off of Weil Road for anyone that doesn't know the area)

I would be a bit concerned about the roads flooding even with 3-4 inches of a downpour. Marion has been known to flood (I think it was 2006 the last time it flooded badly). I think I mentioned that we looked at a house in the Deer Creek area (just south of this area) and it backed right up to a flood plain. It was a main reason why we didn't put in an offer for it. Just look to see if this area is in a flood plain and if this is a deal breaker for you.

Otherwise this is probably a great little neighborhood. I think the salesperson even said that the building by the pool was historic. And the names of the streets were adorable. How about me moving into a street named Ashley Way? That would be a tad funny.
Thanks for the heads up on the "flood" information! That would be a major deal breaker for sure!!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
My dad has worked for Uptmore Custom Homes for many years and has spent the past few years on the Harvest Hills development, I'll try to get some info from him on that project.
Yaay!! Perfect! Thanks a bunch. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,387,090 times
I know nothing of the development, but Jack Uptmore has been a mainstay in the building industry for a while. He's built in the last three Parade of Homes', does quite a bit in Alamo Heights and is well respected in the industry. I've never had a client personally build with him, so I've got no first hand experience.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I know nothing of the development, but Jack Uptmore has been a mainstay in the building industry for a while. He's built in the last three Parade of Homes', does quite a bit in Alamo Heights and is well respected in the industry. I've never had a client personally build with him, so I've got no first hand experience.
That's great to know, thanks!! I'll keep you all posted on what happens next...

Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 AM

229 posts, read 669,440 times
So, I was finally able to talk to my dad today. He gave me a little bit of info about the development, I'm pretty sure most of this is available on the website. But I'll post it here anyway.

The Harvest Hills development is a 400 lot community being built exclusively by Uptmore Custom Homes. The homes range in price from the low 200's to more the the 400's. The lots upon which the homes are built are all roughly 100'x150' in size. Currently, there have been about 40 homes built so far. There is a club house already built which includes a pool and tennis courts. There are also 3 small ponds stocked with fish. There are also plans for a golf course, softball fields, Volleyball courts, and a few more things. There is an underground sewer system, so there is no need for a septic tank or wells. The homes are built on a little "hill", so there is no need to worry about flooding.

I'm hoping to get more "insider" info later this week, I'll probably also visit the site, as my dad can get me into any unoccupied home for tours.

BTW, it might help if you are an Aggie, as the Uptmore's are huge in school spirit, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio