U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM

420 posts, read 1,059,682 times

Advertisements

I was talking to the Coca-Cola rep yesterday and after I inquired was told that the Kosher Coke should be back in the stores next week in preparation for passover. In particular the HEB Alon Market and the HEB Plus at 1604 and Blanco Rd as these locations cater to the large Jewish community around them. Other locations may be getting it but it is usually a bit hard to find.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:14 PM

6,881 posts, read 18,900,848 times
is there a difference between Kosher Coke and Mexican Coke as far as ingredients?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM

475 posts, read 1,008,234 times
For general information and knowledge, what would make for Coke Kosher? Sugar instead of corn syrup? Different preparation?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM

There are numerous religious rules for making a product Kosher. One of the big ones is oversight by a rabbi. The cannot contain any "chametz" which is a number of different grains that includes corn.

It is the original coke formula from before 1985 when they made the switch to corn syrup. The bottles have a yellow cap and the U with a circle around it on it. There is also other Hebrew writing on the cap. You can also look at the ingredients and see that they use sucrose instead of the high fructose corn syrup.

There is a Passover Pepsi as well but I have never seen it here but Pepsi throwback is floating about still.

The taste is very similar to mexico coke and i think the ingredients are the same. But it is a much larger bottle 2L instead of 650mL for less money. So it is a great value to stock up on this time of year.

Passover is not till March 29 - April 6. It becomes available a bit early to help accommodate people that are staying away from corn syrup during Lent as well. I was told by the rep to start looking for it next week as the orders are in for it and they are expecting it to start showing up before Lent which is what happened last year.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 PM

443 posts, read 837,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingWolves View Post

It is the original coke formula from before 1985 when they made the switch to corn syrup.
'85 was when they did the disastrous "New Coke" campaign. At that point they had already dropped the sugar from the "Classic Coke".

I'm not sure about Coke, but I quit drinking Dr.Pepper about 1979 when they dropped the sugar. As I recall, all the major manufacturers dropped sugar about the same time.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,260,130 times
Those passover kosher products are stratospherically expensive.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

276 posts, read 898,870 times
Get your Dr. Pepper in Dublin, Texas if you want it with Imperial sugar.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 PM

That is what makes Kosher Coke so great. It is the same price as the regular Coke 2 liters. I stocked up last year on the buy 4 for 5 dollars and get 1 free. so it came out to 1 dollar a 2 liter. way cheaper than mexico coke.

You are right on that other one. All the companies switched to HFCS in the mid 80s. There is the great new coke conspiracy in which they put out new coke to allow the old coke with sugar inventories to run out and give a buffer to the flavor change when they went back to coke classic used the HFCS like new coke. Most people thought it was very similar to the original but without the ready availability of sugar based coke to compare to they got away with the change. it is a pretty funny read if you like crazy conspiracies.

And I think they have the imperial sugar Dublin Dr Pepper at central market on Broadway. or that is what one of the other forums say.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM

443 posts, read 837,532 times
I know for sure the Dublin Dr. Pepper can be found in cans at the HEB in Kerrville, if anyone knows where I can pick it up in the bottle, I'd like to hear.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 PM

I went to the Central Market on Broadway and they do have the Dublin Dr Pepper in bottles. They keep it on a pallet near the pharmacy and not in the soda section. It was 7 bucks a 6 pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio