Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times

Advertisements

Gosh all of you got off easy. We live in the Villages of Westcreek which is too far for anything to happen but something did.

Last night I stopped at the Sonic on Potranco at Richland Hills and decided to have the Car Hop wait on me instead of using the Drive Thru (That way you don't have to tip but I was feeling gererous last night) As I was sitting there eating my overpriced Banana Split my radio jumped stations going from Buck Owens to Hall and Oates. Their song "Sarah Smiles" was playing and that's my Wife's name. Suddenly the singing stopped and I heard her voice through only one of my six speakers reminding me that I am on a diet and I just blew it.
Well I tossed the remainder out of the window and some of the cold hot fudge dripped onto a 2010 White Ford Focus. I backed up my Silverado and got the heck out of there not knowing who to fear the most, my Wife or the Owner of the Ford Focus. Instead of heading towards 151 I drove in the other direction. Well I stopped at the light on Micron and everything started to sizzle (My damn truck is out of warranty) and all of a sudden there was a fire under the hood. I knew right then and there that I had to escape and in a panic I grabbed three things, my Radar Detector, Sunglasses (I could't afford to let my Serengeti's melt) and the Garage Door Opener. I ran several yards and looked back. I wept as I saw my Sunset Orange Metallic Silverado turn Flat Black. Well I was in a bind and I couldn't call AAA since my phone burned up (Another Insurance Claim along with a $50.00 deductible). VIA was not running since it was late (I didn't have the correct change anyway and I would not have paid extra to support the new proposed Trolley System) I started walking home mostly to work off that Banana Split. I ran past the Sonic just in case the Ford Focus was still there. I finally made it to 151 and Potranco and stopped at the Shell Station to use their phone. In fear I called my Wife and she agreed to come and get me as long as I agreed to fill up her Mazda Tribute which I gladly did.

Not too much was said on the way home except when we approached the driveway and she reached for the button on her garage door opener. Being the Gentleman I am I quietly said let's use mine.

Last edited by wellguy; 01-30-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
There are numerous things that can interfere with garage door remotes, and I am skeptical that it is NSA causing it because the new facilities under construction are far from operational.

For all anyone knows, it could be sunspots, new power transformers, local ham radio operators or anything else that emits EM radiation. Heck, maybe this and the loud booms mrstxcop is hearing out at Camp Stanley are related? Anyone able to monitor the 315 MHz frequency range to see if it has an abundance of Land Mobile Radio System (LMRS) traffic on it? Newer doors are designed to avoid that frequency, but older ones operate between 300-400 MHz.

But it's always more fun to blame the government. When I was stationed in Idaho, I was with an Electronic Combat Squadron and we constantly had people accusing us of causing everything from radio interference to their cows not producing enough milk!

Heck, I think the government may have also been involved with the landslide at Rivermist as well! I thought I saw a couple of black Suburbans driving around while I was there, as well as a black helicopter overhead!
I was getting ready for work this morning and WOAI reported that NSA had turned off it's transmitter. While backing out of my driveway and I tried my garage door remote. Worked like a champ. It was NSA's fault. So much for theories. The transmitter will be off til the first of March so homeowners can retofit their garage door openers. I'm going to do that and then file a claim against the government for reimbursement. I didn't switch frequencies, they did........

Last edited by Deep Forest; 01-30-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Gosh all of you got off easy. We live in the Villages of Westcreek which is too far for anything to happen but something did.

Last night I stopped at the Sonic on Potranco at Richland Hills and decided to have the Car Hop wait on me instead of using the Drive Thru (That way you don't have to tip but I was feeling gererous last night) As I was sitting there eating my overpriced Banana Split my radio jumped stations going from Buck Owens to Hall and Oates. Their song "Sarah Smiles" was playing and that's my Wife's name. Suddenly the singing stopped and I heard her voice through only one of my six speakers reminding me that I am on a diet and I just blew it.
Well I tossed the remainder out of the window and some of the cold hot fudge dripped onto a 2010 White Ford Focus. I backed up my Silverado and got the heck out of there not knowing who to fear the most, my Wife or the Owner of the Ford Focus. Instead of heading towards 151 I drove in the other direction. Well I stopped at the light on Micron and everything started to sizzle (My damn truck is out of warranty) and all of a sudden there was a fire under the hood. I knew right then and there that I had to escape and in a panic I grabbed three things, my Radar Detector, Sunglasses (I could't afford to let my Serengeti's melt) and the Garage Door Opener. I ran several yards and looked back. I wept as I saw my Sunset Orange Metallic Silverado turn Flat Black. Well I was in a bind and I couldn't call AAA since my phone burned up (Another Insurance Claim along with a $50.00 deductible). VIA was not running since it was late (I didn't have the correct change anyway and I would not have paid extra to support the new proposed Trolley System) I started walking home mostly to work off that Banana Split. I ran past the Sonic just in case the Ford Focus was still there. I finally made it to 151 and Potranco and stopped at the Shell Station to use their phone. In fear I called my Wife and she agreed to come and get me as long as I agreed to fill up her Mazda Tribute which I gladly did.

Not too much was said on the way home except when we approached the driveway and she reached for the button on her garage door opener. Being the Gentleman I am I quietly said let's use mine.
Slow day and nothing much to write about?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
I was getting ready for work this morning and WOAI reported that NSA had turned off it's transmitter. While backing out of my driveway and I tried my garage door remote. Worked like a champ. It was NSA's fault. So much for theories. The transmitter will be off til the first of March so homeowners can retofit their garage door openers. I'm going to do that and then file a claim against the government for reimbursement. I didn't switch frequencies, they did........
Let me know if the government pays that claim, as I will file a complaint with them if they do for wasting taxpayers' money! As the FCC has stated, and which has been posted here on several occasions, unregistered transmitters such as garage door openers have no protections against registered users of the frequencies such as the DoD. This is not the government's problem, it is the garage door openers owners'...

But, if you don't believe me, you can hear the same thing from KENS 5...

Uncle Sam jamming S.A. garage door openers: What you can do | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | News

By the way, Uncle Sam is not "jamming" the garage door signals. Once again the local news is sensationalizing the story. What the government is doing is operating on a frequency it has every legal right to do so on. "Jamming" is the intentional interruption and disturbance of a signal, which is not the case here. This is a matter of two systems operating on a specific wavelength, with one having priority over the other. I honestly wish the local media wouldn't always try to make such a huge deal out of everything that happens...

Last edited by majormadmax; 01-31-2010 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Link added

Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
That is something else...I think rd2007 knows how to fix it, and I'm being serious. I remember him talking about something like that and having to disconnect his doohickey and reattach the thingamajig. Or something.
you sure do remember a lot about me... there are 8 dipswitches in the remote and the receiver. Just move them to a different configuration and that should solve the problem (you have to move them in both the remote and the receiver). Just make sure it isn't the same configuration as any of the other ceiling fans.

and the blaming NSA thing was about retarded. Got hype?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you sure do remember a lot about me... there are 8 dipswitches in the remote and the receiver. Just move them to a different configuration and that should solve the problem (you have to move them in both the remote and the receiver). Just make sure it isn't the same configuration as any of the other ceiling fans.

and the blaming NSA thing was about retarded. Got hype?
WHAT? There's this and free food and woots. Don't make it seem like I'm all crazy. OR STALKING YOU!!! LOL

Old 01-31-2010, 09:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Uncle Sam jamming S.A. garage door openers: What you can do | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | News

By the way, Uncle Sam is not "jamming" the garage door signals. Once again the local news is sensationalizing the story. What the government is doing is operating on a frequency it has every legal right to do so on. "Jamming" is the intentional interruption and disturbance of a signal, which is not the case here. This is a matter of two systems operating on a specific wavelength, with one having priority over the other. I honestly wish the local media wouldn't always try to make such a huge deal out of everything that happens...
Excellent post,
I guess they expect the Department of Defense to stop their communications because some people have problems opening their garages

Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Let me know if the government pays that claim, as I will file a complaint with them if they do for wasting taxpayers' money! As the FCC has stated, and which has been posted here on several occasions, unregistered transmitters such as garage door openers have no protections against registered users of the frequencies such as the DoD. This is not the government's problem, it is the garage door openers owners'...

But, if you don't believe me, you can hear the same thing from KENS 5...

It's megawatts vs. milliwatts..... Call it what you want it's still jamming. There wasn't a whole lot of thought given to the type of radio system to be installed. Nobody from the government thought of the havoc caused on a shared bandwith with hundreds of other "users" in a heavily populated area? Just because they have the right to be on that band and that they're the "Government" still doesn't make it right. It's becoming a tradition "heavy-handedness" in recent years with the government. With the government it's a case of "Mind Over Matter". They don't mind and you don't matter.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Excellent post,
I guess they expect the Department of Defense to stop their communications because some people have problems opening their garages
It's not just "some people"....it's alot of people. That's not counting those that are having problems with other remote controlled devices. Such as: a friend told me that his remote controlled ceiling fan turns on and off when it wants to...and his remotely controlled stereo receiver changes channels...often... so....

Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM

It's not hard to be a critic when you're not affected by this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio