Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM

84 posts, read 157,145 times

Advertisements

I was watching Man vs Wild or survivorman and he was frying up "bark scorpions" over a campfire. He said they were pretty tasty; however, I've seen the host take bites out of raw snake. Amusing, but scorpions don't give me the heebeegeebees.

Centipedes on the other hand...
Are the large armored centipedes indigenous to the San Antonio area?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7DE2vz4wk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM

160 posts, read 525,971 times
I don't know about centipedes, but I caught a millipede about 6 years ago. It was about 8-9" long. Pretty wild. I've also seen a lot of small millipedes on a sidewalk. They were everywhere. I haven't seen those since, though. I thought it might be an annual thing...or something.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I saw a centipede someone's back yard in San Antonio. It was brown with yellow legs.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
As bugs go, scorpions are supposed to taste prtty good, due to a high fat content. Wouldn't know myself

We do have a variety of centipedes, but you would prob have to really look for them. I haven't seen one in many years.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Iunno if centipedes are indigenous to the entire San Antonio area, but when we lived in Atascosa County (just south of SA), we saw those big ugly things MANY times (prolly a dozen or more in the 3 years that we lived there). I kid you not, one of those suckers was 14" long! (Yes, we measured it and yes, it was found inside the house! ) But the property we lived on was very rural and SANDY. We heard that they like the sand. Fortunately, we've not seen any since moving into town. Phew!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Iunno if centipedes are indigenous to the entire San Antonio area, but when we lived in Atascosa County (just south of SA), we saw those big ugly things MANY times (prolly a dozen or more in the 3 years that we lived there). I kid you not, one of those suckers was 14" long! (Yes, we measured it and yes, it was found inside the house! ) But the property we lived on was very rural and SANDY. We heard that they like the sand. Fortunately, we've not seen any since moving into town. Phew!
Jules...do you still have that picture! I remember that! Saw one of those in Lost Maples Park crawling up the cliff side across the other side of the river. Scared the daylights out of me even that far away! It was an ANIMAL....at least in my book...bugs just shouldn't get that big! UGH. And you're right...not typical to developed areas unless there is a lot of land...or rocky sandy soils.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Oh, if you don't like centipedes then don't live in Hawaii. They like to crawl into bed with you when it's raining. And they bite.... the ones out there have two fangs and they hurt like heck.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM

188 posts, read 447,831 times
I found a centipede in my bedroom about 4 months ago. I freaked out. Creepiest thing I've ever seen. I think it got in through a small opening where I had the window-mounted a/c. Btw, I live in Spring Branch. I put it in a large bucket (sweeped it up with a broom) and put a Coke can in there for size comparison. Check it out...
http://render5.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,332,442
I IMMEDIATELY called the exterminator. I get scorpions every now and then, but this did it for me. I will use an exterminator service regularly from now on!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
I am with you on centipedes! I actually have a strong phobia and I will not click on that link....I swear if I come across one I think you will see me on KSAT as the woman who died from a heart attack after meeting a centipede.

Centipede's are the work of the devil!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
It would be cool to put a scorpion and a centipede in a container and watch 'em duke it out. LOL my apologies for the pointlessness, just tired and blowing off some stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio