Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM

410 posts, read 923,649 times

Advertisements

I have a friend whose brother is coming down from Detroit. Am helping her brainstorm things to do so naturally I came here. Would appreciate insight on any events happening around Feb 13 -Feb 23rd or local sights he should take in. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM

33 posts, read 54,496 times
Go to mysa.com and look for events, etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
There's always the Riverwalk/Alamo, always something a first-timer should see. If he's outdoorsy people around here love the hill country. I liked the zoo but I'm pretty much 6 years old at heart when it comes to animals.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I second the recommendation on the Asian festival.
Events - Asian Festival (http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/events/asian.html - broken link)

Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 11,972 times
Default More free ideas

I went to the Asian Festival last year, and it is definitely fun, but it is not free. For this to be a budget excursion, I would recommend eating lunch before you go because the frugal food choices inside are limited. It is not as expensive as dinner on the riverwalk, or the food at NIOSA, but prices are about like food at most carnivals or fairs. On the other hand, I found the food at the Asian Festival was both exotic and delicious.

Free activities (near where the Asian Fest is) could include the following:

1. The Alamo - is free to visit and it is the #1 most visited tourist attraction in Texas.

2. The Riverwalk - is free to go and look around. Lots of points of interest and there is usually free information available from a person who stands down there somewhere. (Can anyone help me remember where that is?) The budget friendly approach is to have breakfast at one of the many fine restaurants down there. The prices for breakfast are always lower than lunch or dinner, and most of those places have excellent quality food.

3. El Mercado - I believe is the name for this cool collection of shops and stuff. They have free entertainment most weekend afternoons, with indoor and outdoor stages. There is a lot of budget (and mid-range) shopping. More importantly, in my view, is the cheap, good food and drinks available at the indoor food court near where they have the stage. This area is near the corner of West Commerce St and N San Saba St.

4. The Missions - If you like history, go look at these. They are all free to see, and they have nice amenities.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 PM

410 posts, read 923,649 times
Was looking for something to do this weekend then I googled site re budget-friendly events and rediscovered this thread. Anything new out there? As always, thanks!! Happy Pre-Friday.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
You can check out the Missions or go walk the River Walk. You can drive to New Braunfels and walk around Landa Park or drive to Guadalupe River State park,or Lockhart State Park and then get bbq or go out to Gonzales to see where the first shot in the Texas Revolution was fired.Not sure what events are going on around here.You can also take him to the Alamo and the San Antonio Botanical Gardens near Fort Sam Houston. You might also google the painted churches of Texas.These are some catholic churches out east of San Antonio like in Praha High Hill,St.John and several others you can visit .I think they are open during the week.You can also when in the area go to Shiner to the brewery there and get a tour and a free sample of beer.Also check out Texas Pride Barbeque out in the Adkins and St.Hedwig area. Haven't been there in ages but they have a fish fry as well as bbq on Friday nights with live music.I think they do it all year round but not sure.They do have a website.There is also up in Fredricksburg the Museum of the Pacific.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Get a state park pass and start camping! You won't be sorry.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Farmers' Market at the Pearl is always fun.

Next weekend is SoFlo's second Saturday market which is awesome - free to get in and lots of reasonably priced stuff for sale.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Farmers' Market at the Pearl is always fun.

Next weekend is SoFlo's second Saturday market which is awesome - free to get in and lots of reasonably priced stuff for sale.
That sounds great! Thanks for posting Lindagrace!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio