Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM

358 posts, read 577,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
It looked as though the background was the familiar setting at the S.A. International in the film I saw for Kennedy's visit in 1963.
Dad and Grandfather worked at K.A.F.B. also.
I believe it, I was in elementary school at the time.

I saw Kennedy when he attended the funeral for Sam Rayburn in Bonham in 1961. Although it was a rainy and dreary day, I too was surprised at how "red headed" he was. It did not come across that way in most of the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
They had a wonderful appetizer there that was popcorn shrimp served in an oyster shell in a sauce. It was served hot. I have never seen that anywhere else. I think they called it Shrimp Congenial. Your friends uncle did not happen to share that recipe did he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Oh gosh, I remember that appetizer. It was so good. I can certainly ask her later this evening and I will report back!
SnappyBob, sorry for the delay. I had to wait until she got off work and got my message. My friend still lives and works right there in San Antonio - lucky her!

Unfortunately, the recipes were not passed on to anyone in the family before her uncle died. She says that most of the family members who worked in the restaurant have passed on by now.

I, like you, would have enjoyed being able to find out how they made that sauce!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
I did a search for Shrimp Congenial and only came up with Shrimp Congenlia. It's pretty simular. It might be a good starting place.
Shrimp Congelia Recipe - Food.com - 188832
Thanks for trying anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was Kelly where he landed. I did a quick google for JFK and Kelly AFB and came up with a link that mentions it. There was also a site that had someone selling 8x10 glossys of JFK and Jackie riding in the motorcade at Kelly the day before the assasination.Kennedy Assassination Chronicles JFK Lancer
I always assumed he landed at San Antonio International, as I personally was standing along Broadway in AH that morning as the motorcade headed south. He was riding in the same open-top presidential limo (along with Jackie, and Gov. & Mrs. Connally) that he was assasinated in the next day in Dallas. I have a photo that somebody snapped in the vicinity of where I was standing.

We know he visited Kelley/Lackland, but did he actually deplane there? If so, that would have to be pretty early in the A.M., as it would have taken some time for the motorcade to head north, and then south down Broadway later that morning.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
I always figured he landed at Kelly as it was straight down Military Drive to Brooks. I did read of his landing at Kelly and more extensively some time ago. I just wanted to verify before posting. The report of his landing at International must be an error. The last flight out of Brooks was in 1961, I believe. Not sure it's airstrips would have supported the President's plane either.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times
Did a little digging. He landed at SAIAP according to the Secret Service roster:

Secret Service Duty Rosters for JFK's Texas Trip

Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
The report of his landing at International must be an error. The last flight out of Brooks was in 1961, I believe. Not sure it's airstrips would have supported the President's plane either.
By 1963, SAT's Runway 12-30 had been extended to accommodate 707s & DC-8s.

I always assumed he arrived at SAT. If he didn't, I can't figure out for what purpose his motorcade would have been driving south on Broadway that morning.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
By 1963, SAT's Runway 12-30 had been extended to accommodate 707s & DC-8s.

I always assumed he arrived at SAT. If he didn't, I can't figure out for what purpose his motorcade would have been driving south on Broadway that morning.
Yeah, I was surprised while reading of the Kelly landing that the motorcade went up town somewhere. I've forgotten the route now. I need to find the story i read a couple years back. Funny how all information searches lead to the day of the assassination or at least try to. I think Brooks was closed to landings for sure at that time.

Oops missed this post:

Quote:
Did a little digging. He landed at SAIAP according to the Secret Service roster:

Secret Service Duty Rosters for JFK's Texas Trip
The mystery continues....

Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
Sounds like he landed at SAT and visited Kelly and Brooks. My Dad must have seen him on the visit rather than actually deplaning at Kelly.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,061 times
Default I believe,

I still believe JFK landed at International.
The background in the deplaning filmclip I saw definitely was the hilly area
behind the Intnl.
Quote:
Sounds like he landed at SAT and visited Kelly and Brooks. My Dad must have seen him on the visit rather than actually deplaning at Kelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio