Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Agreed! There are those who would gladly pay for better dining. I'm one of them. From what I've observed the problem appears to be twofold: a lack of interest by many in cuisines other than those they're familiar with and the culture of cheapness that pervades the city.

The first problem could be overcome by expanding one's culinary horizons. Given that San Antonio love to eat, you'd think this would be a fairly easy task. There seems to be a lack of culinary diversity here in San Antonio among certain demographics. And for a certain age group, the ol' familiar dining trough seems to fit the bill. I tend to see more culinary diversity and interest among younger, more educated professionals who undoubtedly will be the core customers of future restaurants.

I think many won't try a new cuisine unless the place has such buzz as to be the place "to see and be seen at." To attend for those reasons alone is wrong, but many are oblivious to that. Many establishments whose image and reputation rests on the prestige of the name/location/celebrity patrons alone often have mediocre menus and service.

The second problem seems to be a matter of misplaced fiscal priorities. People seem to equate higher priced dining with greater portions of food instead of taste, creativity and presentation. They may also be intimidated or uncomfortable by the price tag or the ingredients.

I recently dined at a new high-end steakhouse and sat next to a patron who carped the entire time about the steep price of everything; what he felt were meagre proportions, etc. He wound up leaving at the same time we did only to see the discontented diner step into his new Hybrid Escalade and drive away.

We need more Dadys and Weissmans to imbue and enrich the culinary canvas of San Antonio with their artistry. But like any business, the demand will have to be there.
Spot on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
If you can afford to drive an Escalade,in my mind, you shouldn't carp about prices. I drive a 1998 Chevy Metro, but would love to eat at such places, but hate to send a lot of money for just one person to eat. And from what I have seen on TOp Chef and other shows,or places, fine dining seems to be smaller portions, not large ones. I want to try some of the Middle eastern places in town, and there was a new Sushi place mentioned in Sunday's food section I want to try .I'll have to do that sometime if I can over the holidays, since I work two jobs.Maybe during the week,when i have off from the School district I work for or on Sunday, when I have off from the other job.
But if I try a new restaurant,whether it is high or low priced, I go because I want to try new foods and experience something different.
I don't think San Antonio was ever known for fine dining like say New York or Chicago,Dallas or Houston or New Orleans.New Orleans has the French influence in that respect.
Years ago we ate at a restaurant on Broadway near H.E.B.Central market,tucked away in a shopping area.I think you all might know the area I'm talking about.This was back in the 1980s or 90s,when my dad was still alive. It was an excellent restaurant, and I had pompano in parchment,don't recall what my dad and sister had, but we enjoyed their food.Daddy said we need to go back again. We did try to go there for my sister's birthday, but the place was gone, so we wound up at Christie's Seafood.Daddy's complaint about San Antonio was that if you had a really good restaurant,like the one we ate at, they seemed to disappear after awhile,while all the medicore places did a thriving business.If the fine dining situation improves here in town, it will be because of all the people moving here from California, New York,etc.,not from any impetus from the locals.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,301 times
I'll carp about prices. Why should Dough cost substantially more than comparables in Brooklyn, Oakland, or San Francisco?

Sand Bar is awesome, but costs are on par with NYC. I can almost drop as much here as I do at Le Bernadin.

I can also carp about steakhouse pricing locally. Bohanans pricing is fine, but we have had steakhouses here charging the same prices for "certified angus". Certified angus is a bs marketing term that means nothing in terms of meat quality. It is robbery to charge prime & waygu prices for choice or select.

The Belgian spot used to be great, but the food quality since it sold has gone down significantly. They appear to be sourcing ingredients from places like restaurant depot and it shows.

San Antonio, inside the loop, could easily support a brasserie or bistro. Fine French could flourish downtown with a mix of business tourists and locals, but there is nobody on the scene now to do it. If 1/2 the money that was thrown at 1604 ventures was invested in the loop, i'd bet my soul 2x of the restaurants would still be open. It is a fantasy to think the demographics of our suburban wealth translates to a strong food culture. Give them a polished concept, a cookie cutter warm & comfortable space, and large portions of tweaked standards and watch the $ roll in.

just my 2c

Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Default Good Oysters in Town?

Where can I find some good oysters in town? Acadiana? Pappadeaux? I don't care, fried, not-fried, whatever. Raw sounds good, as well.

Just wondering. Thanks for the info, guys! You rock!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

73 posts, read 152,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Where can I find some good oysters in town? Acadiana? Pappadeaux? I don't care, fried, not-fried, whatever. Raw sounds good, as well.

Just wondering. Thanks for the info, guys! You rock!
If you want to roll your own.

Groomers Seafood. You can buy them shucked or still in the shell.

Welcome to Groomer Seafood in San Antonio | Wholesale-Retail Seafood

Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM

501 posts, read 776,764 times
Default (good) Late dining options

Picking up friends at airport around 9:30-10 PM and wondering where I can take them besides MiTierra. Monty is supposed to be open late but wonder how many folks are there weeknights late- I hate walking into places where they start stacking chairs before you've ordered. I figure most drinking establishments stay open, but not sure about their kitchens.
Any recomendations???

Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Monty is open nightly until Midnight. I go often after 10:30pm and they always add off-the-menu specials later in the evening. Ask about them.

Max's Wine Dive: Midnight.

Grimaldi's at The Quarry: Midnight

Liberty Bar: Midnight

The Esquire: Midnight, up until 1am on some nights. I'd call to confirm.

BN

Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Picking up friends at airport around 9:30-10 PM and wondering where I can take them besides MiTierra. Monty is supposed to be open late but wonder how many folks are there weeknights late- I hate walking into places where they start stacking chairs before you've ordered. I figure most drinking establishments stay open, but not sure about their kitchens.
Any recomendations???

La Bebe's is open to 12

Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,705 times
Me and wife ate at grimaldis for the first time tonight and man thats probably the best ny style pizza I've had yet. Very very tasty. Wife doesn't usually like thin crust but that one she really liked. Definetly will go back.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
Me and wife ate at grimaldis for the first time tonight and man thats probably the best ny style pizza I've had yet. Very very tasty. Wife doesn't usually like thin crust but that one she really liked. Definetly will go back.
Go to NY Pizza Pub in New Braunfels and then come back and tell me which is better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio